FORUMS
Remove All Ads from XDA

Worth buying a 2. hand SP for 100$? Possible to use 32 GB SdCard for installing apps?

61 posts
Thanks Meter: 10

By Be-Mine, Member on 18th March 2016, 04:37 AM
Post Reply Email Thread
I know that this phone is rather old currently but i'm still interested in it, let me explain.

I'm a Huawei Ideos X5 and Motorola Atrix 4G user, which are ancient comparing to XSP . With the help of CM7.2 these devices are still operable. (Thanks to all developers and contributors). But i need at least Android v4.2 for some of the applications. These devices don't have official CM11, and unofficial CM11 Roms have some critical bugs and disadvantages for my usage, unfortunately.

I like Sony devices in general (do you remember K750i, W810i etc?) and interested in the compact series especially. I would get a Z3 compact but read a lot about the cracks and some other physical problems, so i decided to wait for the next generation. Then the Z5 Compact came at last, but with the notorious snapdragon 810! And it's still expensive, here in Turkey. So i think the next generation of Compact will probably be the ultimate one to buy.

Till that time, i want to use another compact sized phone such as XSP because it has these Pros among others:
+ Official Cyanogenmod support (It has stable CM11, and nightly CM12.1 AFAIK)
+ Gps with GLONASS support. (I use navigation in car frequently, so lock time and accuracy are important)
+ supports OTG AFAIK, although it's not noted on GSMArena page.
+ GYROSCOPE sensor.
+ FM Radio (is it still usable after installing CM11?)

Additionally, I'm aware of the Cons below, but they won't be a major problem for me (I guess):
- TFT display (it must be an awful joke )
- 155 gr weight
- 1 GB Ram
- 8 GB (5.8 GB user available) internal memory. (I have major concerns about these, see below!)
- insufficient Cameras
- Non-removable battery
- Low volume levels, especially in-call volume (This is a common Sony problem, right?)

Anyway, here come my questions:
* Does it worth buying a 2.5 year old second hand XSP for 100$? I don't know the brand new price, seems not sold nowadays. I didn't check the local shops yet, but buying a brand new one for a, say 200-250$, is not reasonable, right?

* Is it possible to use an external SdCard for installing apps? (By swapping external SDCard to internalSD, NOT via Folder Mount etc.)

I will definitely root the phone and install CM11 most probably. Please help me finding out these:

In general, the phones have /data partition for installing applications, and /sdcard partition for large application datas and user data. For example in Motorola Atrix 16 GB;
* /data partition is 2 GB .
It's large enough for me, so i don't have to move apps to sd. And some of the large apps install themselves to /Sd (be it internal 10,7 GB partition or external 32 GB in CM7.2) automatically. (The large games still need the /sd , that's for sure)
* /sdcard partition is 10,7 GB.
It's almost full although i use the other 32 GB SDcard for my music, video etc. files. Since CM7.2 has the option to use the external SDCard as internal SD, i can exchange them whenever i want. This is one of the most useful features of CM, i like it.

What is the situation in Xperia SP, can we use external SD Card to install apps?

The XSP has 8 GB (5.8 GB user available) internal memory, so i will have to use my 32 GB sdcard inevitably. And i have to use it as the main storage area for apps, not just for the user files! I guess it's not an option in Android JB and KK versions natively, right? What about CM11?

What is the content of the 5.8 GB user available memory? Is it
* just the 5.8 GB /sdcard partition (then /data partition is ?), or
* 1 GB /data partition + 4.8 GB /sdcard partition, or
* 1.5 GB /data partition + 4.3 GB /sdcard partition, or
* 2 GB /data partition + 3.8 GB /sdcard partition, or what?

I hope the /data partition is 2 GB or higher. Because we won't have to move the apps to Sd manually, if we have a lot of apps. And when we unmount the external SdCard for some reason, most of the apps are still usable, that's great. (I had to move some of the apps to SD in Motorola Atrix lately, because 2 GB is almost full! Another example, we had to extend the 600MB /data partition in Huawei Ideos X5 with a lot of hassle years ago. I hope i won't have to struggle like this in XSP!)

I will use the 32 GB Sd Card for the rest, apps' sd datas and my user files, anyway. Again, is it possible in CM11?

I know i asked a lot, but your opinions are really important for me. Please advise, thanks in advance.

Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Tags
internal sd, move app, partition table

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)