FORUMS
Remove All Ads from XDA

Xperia SP won't boot to bootloader

4 posts
Thanks Meter: 0

By centaury02, Junior Member on 24th October 2015, 04:38 PM
Post Reply Email Thread
Hello all,

I rooted my Xperia SP and had installed the Cyanogenmod 11 (last stable-ish release, milestone or something) successfully.
After being encouraged by a co-worker that the nightly builds are pretty safe too, I installed a 12.1 nightly (can't remember which, though).
After that I couldn't reboot to bootloader any more to back up my phone.
I can select it in the reboot menu, but the phone will just cycle into a normal reboot and start Cyanogen.
Being brave I installed another nightly (current version: 12.1-20151010-NIGHTLY-huashan), hoping that would help.
It didn't, but luckily that version works, too.

Otherwise the phone works well, but I would like to be able to reboot into the bootloader to create a system backup, before I install more nightlies.

Rebooting into recovery works. However, have no backup option there.

To clarify: booting into bootloader is not necessarily what I want, it's the backup option that I'm after.
On the other hand, this not working properly is kind of a red flag, so I want to make sure nothing is going sideways...

Any advice would be much appreciated!

Thanks!

Merlin

24th October 2015, 06:48 PM |#2  

Thanks Meter: 134

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by centaury02

Hello all,

I rooted my Xperia SP and had installed the Cyanogenmod 11 (last stable-ish release, milestone or something) successfully.
After being encouraged by a co-worker that the nightly builds are pretty safe too, I installed a 12.1 nightly (can't remember which, though).
After that I couldn't reboot to bootloader any more to back up my phone.
I can select it in the reboot menu, but the phone will just cycle into a normal reboot and start Cyanogen.
Being brave I installed another nightly (current version: 12.1-20151010-NIGHTLY-huashan), hoping that would help.
It didn't, but luckily that version works, too.

Otherwise the phone works well, but I would like to be able to reboot into the bootloader to create a system backup, before I install more nightlies.

Rebooting into recovery works. However, have no backup option there.

To clarify: booting into bootloader is not necessarily what I want, it's the backup option that I'm after.
On the other hand, this not working properly is kind of a red flag, so I want to make sure nothing is going sideways...

Any advice would be much appreciated!

Thanks!

Merlin

I guess you're confusing recovery with bootloader,
The default recovery CM12.1 and other CM based ROMs come with is "Cyanogen Recovery" which is not very popular coz it lacks many features.
Anyways, TWRP is a pretty good recovery that allows you to backup, restore, etc, and it even has it's own file manager. Download the latest recovery from here and flash it via CM recovery, it will replace CM recovery with TWRP.
The Following User Says Thank You to Zenith For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift Zenith Ad-Free
24th October 2015, 07:59 PM |#3  
OP Junior Member

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zenith

I guess you're confusing recovery with bootloader,
Download the latest recovery from here and flash it via CM recovery, it will replace CM recovery with TWRP.

Hi Zenith,

thanks for your quick reply! I'll give it a shot and report here if it worked.

I don't think I confuse the two, though.
When I choose reboot, I get to select (amongst the usual) "Bootloader" or "Recovery".
"Recovery" gives me a menu (after reboot) where I could theoretically roll back to a previous backup for example.
"Bootloader" earlier gave me a text-based menu, where I could back my system up, now I can't reach this any more. The phone simply boots Cyanogenmod again.

Anyway, thanks and I'll try out TWRP!
24th October 2015, 08:26 PM |#4  

Thanks Meter: 134

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by centaury02

Hi Zenith,

thanks for your quick reply! I'll give it a shot and report here if it worked.

I don't think I confuse the two, though.
When I choose reboot, I get to select (amongst the usual) "Bootloader" or "Recovery".
"Recovery" gives me a menu (after reboot) where I could theoretically roll back to a previous backup for example.
"Bootloader" earlier gave me a text-based menu, where I could back my system up, now I can't reach this any more. The phone simply boots Cyanogenmod again.

Anyway, thanks and I'll try out TWRP!

well... the TWRP recovery is all you need if you wanna backup your system and restore later.
You won't need to use the 'Reboot to bootloader' option.

and Welcome
Hit the "Thanks" button if I helped.
24th October 2015, 08:34 PM |#5  
OP Junior Member

More
Hi Zenith again,

I downloaded the zip-file and booted my cell phone into recovery mode.
Then I chose "Apply update" and the zip-file I had just downloaded.

It showed me a success, rebooting into recovery mode gave me the exact same menu ("Cyanogen recovery").

I probably did something wrong, but what?

Can you point me in the right direction, please?

Thx!

Edit: choosing "reboot to bootloader" in the recovery menu reboots the phone as before (not into bootloader)
25th October 2015, 05:30 AM |#6  
Thanks Meter: 52

More
Make sure you didn't select 'update cyanogenmod recovery' in the developer option, then go to http://forum.xda-developers.com/xper...ashan-t3150230 ,download the zip and flash it with cyanogenmod recovery. You can now live happily ever after with cyanogenmod and twrp recovey.
The Following User Says Thank You to steveglowplunk For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift steveglowplunk Ad-Free
25th October 2015, 07:19 AM |#7  
Flag mumbai
Thanks Meter: 1

More
flash it back to stock rom and then root it via towelroot and installa superSU also check with any app if your phone is rooted or not then check if bootloader is unlocked and after that flash doomkernel (latest verson) after that flash any rom you want to test
25th October 2015, 04:02 PM |#8  
OP Junior Member

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by steveglowplunk

Make sure you didn't select 'update cyanogenmod recovery' in the developer option, then go to http://forum.xda-developers.com/xper...ashan-t3150230 ,download the zip and flash it with cyanogenmod recovery. You can now live happily ever after with cyanogenmod and twrp recovey.

@steveglowplunk:
Thanks, that was what obviously kept replacing the recovery module.
I used the zip-file that Zenith linked to initially, though. It worked fine after that (hence the thank you to both of you).

@electro_nik:
I didn't want to go through the whole process again. I'm sure your way would give me back the original bootloader, but as long as I can create a backup, I think I'm fine. Thanks though!
25th October 2015, 04:27 PM |#9  
Thanks Meter: 52

More
Also never forget to CHECK ROOT ACCESS FOR ADB and USB DEBUGGING in the developer option. It can always save both your life and your phone's life when your phone is bricked
The Following User Says Thank You to steveglowplunk For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift steveglowplunk Ad-Free
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)