Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,807,866 Members 51,015 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[MOD] Speakerphone whistle fix + volume boost

Tip us?

elb0wf4ce
Old
(Last edited by elb0wf4ce; 8th August 2014 at 03:12 AM.) Reason: Attached a flashable ZIP
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 35
Default [MOD] Speakerphone whistle fix + volume boost

I've reduced mic sensitivity but raised the volume and boosted other volumes as well, including the loudspeaker and earpiece volumes.

Rename the default snd file (/system/etc/snd_soc_msm) and replace it with the one contained within the first TAR attached to this post, making sure it has the same ownership and permissions applied as the renamed original, then reboot and test.

Note: If you still experience the annoying whistle during speakerphone calls with the first mod, try the second and finally the third for the more sensitive of devices.

Alternatively, you can flash the ZIP in recovery, which also enables PSM in custom ROMs and replaces the shutter/focus camera sounds with more realistic ones. The ZIP is what I flash after updating CM, hence the name. The ZIP contains the first mod of the snd file, so unpack it and replace that file with the second or third one if necessary to make your own custom flashable ZIP.
Attached Files
File Type: gz snd_soc_msm_2x.tar.gz - [Click for QR Code] (7.3 KB, 133 views)
File Type: gz snd_soc_msm_2x_73.tar.gz - [Click for QR Code] (7.3 KB, 35 views)
File Type: gz snd_soc_msm_2x_69_73.tar.gz - [Click for QR Code] (7.3 KB, 32 views)
File Type: zip post-update.zip - [Click for QR Code] (169.8 KB, 75 views)
The Following 15 Users Say Thank You to elb0wf4ce For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

DS-1
Old
Thanks Meter 37
Thanks a lot for this!

Can you please exactly tell what parameters have you changed?

I'd like to know this, because in every "boosted" snd_soc_msm I think that mic is too bosted and everytime I record something with a recorder (I use the phone to record songs with my band at rehearsals) the result is always overdriven. This doesn't happen with stock ROM.

Thanks in advance for the reply.

Quote:
Originally Posted by elb0wf4ce View Post
I can't post in the development section yet, so thought I'd share my own fix/workaround here. The file is smaller than the original as I've cleaned it up somewhat and removed unnecessary and inconsistant disable entries. This modified version also has higher mic volumes for video recording and boosted volumes elsewhere too.

This fix works on the latest nightly with the long-awaited kernel update. Just rename the default snd file (/system/etc/snd_soc_msm) and replace it with this one, making sure it has the same ownership and permissions applied as the original.

elb0wf4ce
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by DS-1 View Post
Thanks a lot for this!

Can you please exactly tell what parameters have you changed?

I'd like to know this, because in every "boosted" snd_soc_msm I think that mic is too bosted and everytime I record something with a recorder (I use the phone to record songs with my band at rehearsals) the result is always overdriven. This doesn't happen with stock ROM.

Thanks in advance for the reply.
The mics (DEC4/6) for video recording (Camcorder Tx) have been raised from 66% to 68%. Have you tested video recording already or are you just asking in case you need to experiment?

The bottom mic (DEC6) in two sections for calls has been reduced from 66% volume to 64% to fix the whistle. Any higher and the whistle returns. Also, if the loudspeaker is set any higher than 72% the whistle returns.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to elb0wf4ce For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

PeterGeorgiou
Old
Thanks Meter 27
Thank you very much! this done the trick!

Sony Xperia T Carbon Rom KK 4.4.4
Pimped with Flux THEME!

DS-1
Old
Thanks Meter 37
I only tested it in audio recording. Haven't tried with video.

How is in % loudspeaker volume in stock and in your release?

Quote:
Originally Posted by elb0wf4ce View Post
The mics (DEC4/6) for video recording (Camcorder Tx) have been raised from 66% to 68%. Have you tested video recording already or are you just asking in case you need to experiment?

The bottom mic (DEC6) in two sections for calls has been reduced from 66% volume to 64% to fix the whistle. Any higher and the whistle returns. Also, if the loudspeaker is set any higher than 72% the whistle returns.

elb0wf4ce
Old
(Last edited by elb0wf4ce; 15th June 2014 at 10:32 PM.)
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by DS-1 View Post
I only tested it in audio recording. Haven't tried with video.

How is in % loudspeaker volume in stock and in your release?
The original loudspeaker volume was 68%, which was far too low for my needs. I raised all of the RX volumes from 68% to 72%. RX1 is the earpiece volume and that benefits from the boost as it can be hard to hear people in a busy town centre, even with the earpiece against your ear when the volume is only 68%. I think either CM10.1 or CM10.2 had the loudspeaker volume set at 73%, but currently the CM default is 71%.
The Following User Says Thank You to elb0wf4ce For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

moly82
Old
Thanks Meter 488
this doesn't fix speaker whistle for me in carbon rom which is based on cm..

elb0wf4ce
Old
(Last edited by elb0wf4ce; 15th June 2014 at 10:30 PM.)
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by moly82 View Post
this doesn't fix speaker whistle for me in carbon rom which is based on cm..
It's a weird issue. Previous fixes that worked for other users didn't work for me, so that's why I came up with my own solution. I'm gonna try a few more things like changing ADCx values as they relate to sensitivity.

P.S. Did you reboot after replacing your default snd file?
The Following User Says Thank You to elb0wf4ce For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

moly82
Old
Thanks Meter 488
same for me in the past all the fixes that worked for others didn't for me only fix that definitely fixed whistle for me is the one by rimmer1966 in his aosp that was also merged in omni.. he described the solution in his thread.. (disabled one mic during calls)

elb0wf4ce
Old
(Last edited by elb0wf4ce; 16th June 2014 at 04:18 AM.)
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by moly82 View Post
same for me in the past all the fixes that worked for others didn't for me only fix that definitely fixed whistle for me is the one by rimmer1966 in his aosp that was also merged in omni.. he described the solution in his thread.. (disabled one mic during calls)
Only the bottom mic is used, even during speakerphone calls. Did he swap them around? Anyway, try my new mod of the default snd file from CM11 in the OP. I've reduced mic sensitivity but raised the volume. My test recordings are a bit louder and cleaner I think.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to elb0wf4ce For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]
Tags
boost, loudspeaker, speakerphone, volume, whistle