[Q] Did I just brick my Xperia TL?

Search This thread

lhamilton1807

Jan 1, 2013
So I did a stupid thing and didn't do my homework. I flashed CM 10.2 for Xperia T (Mint) on my rooted Xperia TL but didn't unlock the bootloader first. The phone won't boot. Just a black screen. If I hold the power button, it vibrates once, but nothing comes up on the screen. No LED light indicating charging while plugged in.

Have I just destroyed the phone?

Antiga Prime

Sep 25, 2012
So I did a stupid thing and didn't do my homework. I flashed CM 10.2 for Xperia T (Mint) on my rooted Xperia TL but didn't unlock the bootloader first. The phone won't boot. Just a black screen. If I hold the power button, it vibrates once, but nothing comes up on the screen. No LED light indicating charging while plugged in.

No. A custom kernel won't work on a locked bootloader, so that is essentially your problem. Just put your phone in flash mode and use flashtool to flash a stock FTF and it should boot up just fine.

Reactions: lhamilton1807

Antiga Prime

Sep 25, 2012
Flashtool says my phone is locked and can't be updated.

Then maybe put your phone in fastboot mode and flash the kernel first... IDK, I did that once and I'm pretty sure that's how I fixed it. With 7zip you can extract the "kernel.sin" file from the FTF, and use Flashtool in Fastboot mode to flash that kernel.

lhamilton1807

Jan 1, 2013
Thanks. I've been trying to put it into fastboot and can't get it to work. From what I have read, I need to hold power+volDown, right? I've held power + volUp to get it to vibrate three times, then connected it with the power & volDown buttons held and nothing - no blue light for fastboot mode. I've currently got it plugged in (using the oem Sony cable) with a rubber band around the power & volDown buttons. Maybe that'll work... I dunno. The led is just staying red, and I can't see it listed as a fastboot devices by typing "fastboot devcies" when cmd is open in the correct folder in the sdk... Any ideas on how to get this done?

Thanks for your help, everyone.

istux

Jun 26, 2012
Milano
Thanks. I've been trying to put it into fastboot and can't get it to work. From what I have read, I need to hold power+volDown, right? I've held power + volUp to get it to vibrate three times, then connected it with the power & volDown buttons held and nothing - no blue light for fastboot mode. I've currently got it plugged in (using the oem Sony cable) with a rubber band around the power & volDown buttons. Maybe that'll work... I dunno. The led is just staying red, and I can't see it listed as a fastboot devices by typing "fastboot devcies" when cmd is open in the correct folder in the sdk... Any ideas on how to get this done?

It's a bit hard to understand what you're trying to do :eek:

Fastboot mode = just press vol.up, keep on pressing, connect USB, when you get a blue light release the vol. button
Flash mode = just press vol.down, keep on pressing, connect USB when Flashtool is ready to flash the FTF, when you get a green light release the vol. button

As you can see, you don't have to press the PWR button (only pwr + vol.up to reset, but you already know it).

Usually it's enough to flash a new FTF... I don't know why you get that error: maybe a wrong button combination or maybe you didn't install the drivers needed for flashtool.
If your battery is almost discharged, the fastboot method is good to flash only the kernel in order to recharge the battery and then flash an entire FTF.

I guess your device is ok. ;)
Anyway, have you already seen this guide?

Last edited:
Reactions: lhamilton1807

lhamilton1807

Jan 1, 2013
I'll give it a shot. I can't seem to get it into flash mode or fastboot mode, though. When I hold down the Volume up or volume down button and try to plug it in, the light stays red and the computer makes a "connect" sound (Windows 7 - rising tones), then multiple "disconnect" sounds (falling tones). The light stays red and the phone is not connected.

I'm downloading a stock firmware and flashtool and will report back when I've tried it some more.

WhiteNeo

Feb 13, 2013
I'll give it a shot. I can't seem to get it into flash mode or fastboot mode, though. When I hold down the Volume up or volume down button and try to plug it in, the light stays red and the computer makes a "connect" sound (Windows 7 - rising tones), then multiple "disconnect" sounds (falling tones). The light stays red and the phone is not connected.

I'm downloading a stock firmware and flashtool and will report back when I've tried it some more.
I suggest removing the battery, if you have the chance.
Keep the battery removed and press and hold power and volume up buttons simultaneously. Then plug the phone to your computer and you'll enter fastboot mode.

I revived my XV with the same red led that way.
Had to remove the battery before it would work, tho.

Good luck bro! :)

lhamilton1807

Jan 1, 2013
Sorry it took so long to get to this. I've just been using my backup in the meantime.
I took the battery out and plugged it in like you suggested. Worked like a charm! I've got it flashed and running now. Thanks!

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

No. A custom kernel won't work on a locked bootloader, so that is essentially your problem. Just put your phone in flash mode and use flashtool to flash a stock FTF and it should boot up just fine.

It's a bit hard to understand what you're trying to do :eek:

Fastboot mode = just press vol.up, keep on pressing, connect USB, when you get a blue light release the vol. button
    Flash mode = just press vol.down, keep on pressing, connect USB when Flashtool is ready to flash the FTF, when you get a green light release the vol. button

As you can see, you don't have to press the PWR button (only pwr + vol.up to reset, but you already know it).

Usually it's enough to flash a new FTF... I don't know why you get that error: maybe a wrong button combination or maybe you didn't install the drivers needed for flashtool.
    If your battery is almost discharged, the fastboot method is good to flash only the kernel in order to recharge the battery and then flash an entire FTF.

I guess your device is ok. ;)
    Anyway, have you already seen this guide?