Ask a question

No registration required

Xperia T (lt30p) Wifi problem

OP Habulin

29th August 2014, 06:59 PM   |  #1  
OP Junior Member
Thanks Meter: 2

6 posts
Hello. I have a certain problem which I would like to discuss here and ask for advice. I would really like if you could read everything and not just start with the "standard wifi fix" answers like "restart the phone" and such.

1. My problem: The problem that I face is that when I try to connect to a wifi network one out of the two following things happen:
-It connects and instantly disconnects
-It connects and after some time losses connection and says that it's out of range. This can happen after 5 seconds or 15 minutes/it's totally random.

I think that the first thing is connected to the second so let's just discuss the second.

2. Where and when: It happens everywhere and always. It happens at my home, at my school, even in Greece where I spend my vacations (just giving you some examples.).

3. Things I tried to fix my problem myself: I googled my problem for over 1 month now and found a lot of those "standard wifi fixes" I mentioned before. I checked all the settings on my phone for example avoid bad connections, disable wifi during sleep, battery saving etc. I did a factory reset 3 times, I even screwed with my router (even though it can't be my routers fault as it happens everywhere as stated and I am fairly educated in networking and setting up a router). And yes, I did update my phone to the latest version of android available which is 4.1 for me.

4. Contacting my operator: I contacted my operator and gave them a brief overview of my problem. So I went to the store and they sent it to the repair center/company that fixes Sony phones in my country (note: my phone is still under guarantee). After 2 weeks I got my phone back but they wrote that they didn't find the problem and just did a factory reset. After 1 day of usage, with the of course not repaired phone, I sent an very detailed email to the repair center explaining my problem and they told me to send it back again which I did. After a couple of days passed the repair center called me and the guy who was supposed to fix my phone told me that he did a factory reset yet again and that he isn't finding any problems with browsing the net with the phone.

5. Some important information: The phone had never been exposed to any water/fall damage in any kind of form, it was neither rooted/flashed or anything like that and there were no applications that could have messed up any files or settings (for example wifi fix apps and such). I am running the latest available firmware (checked with xperia update checker, sus and PC companion) which is 9.1.A.1.141 R1.

6. Some probably not so important information: A friend of mine which I meet quite often has the same phone but has an different operator is running 4.3 and has no problems with the phone what so ever. Also when I went to the center of my operator the guy that helped me tried to connect to the router he was literary 2 m away from and it instantly disconnected him saying "not in range".

7. Don't say those things as I already tried them without success:
-everything connected to wifi/network/battery saving settings on the phone (avoid bad connections, auto IP, Static/DHCP etc.)
-my router settings (channels, security etc.) - every other device works perfectly fine
-SIM card - calling, mobile data and such works fine
-apps - never had "wifi fix", battery saving or any kind of form of apps on the phone that would "improve" it's performance

So I am really desperate right now and would really appreciate if someone could help me.

EDIT: I forgot to mention that after some time after a couple of minutes it shows the network as being available again (but doesn't reconnect) or waits until I restart the phone before it let's me connect to it again.
Last edited by Habulin; 29th August 2014 at 08:22 PM.
29th August 2014, 08:30 PM   |  #2  
Thanks Meter: 569

843 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Habulin

7. Don't say those things as I already tried them without success:
-everything connected to wifi/network/battery saving settings on the phone (avoid bad connections, auto IP, Static/DHCP etc.)
-my router settings (channels, security etc.) - every other device works perfectly fine
-SIM card - calling, mobile data and such works fine
-apps - never had "wifi fix", battery saving or any kind of form of apps on the phone that would "improve" it's performance

So I am really desperate right now and would really appreciate if someone could help me.

EDIT: I forgot to mention that after some time after a couple of minutes it shows the network as being available again (but doesn't reconnect) or waits until I restart the phone before it let's me connect to it again.

Did you update OTA?

If I were you I'd flash a different ROM (different FTF) maybe a different version or a different region, and maybe even backup TA partition, unlock, root, and flash a different Stock ROM and/or a custom ROM (CM, Carbon, etc), and see if the problem persists.

If there still is a problem then it definitely is a phone (hardware) problem, especially considering other devices work on the same network you're attempting to connect to.
The Following User Says Thank You to Antiga Prime For This Useful Post: [ View ]
29th August 2014, 08:42 PM   |  #3  
OP Junior Member

6 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Antiga Prime

Did you update OTA?

If I were you I'd flash a different ROM (different FTF) maybe a different version or a different region, and maybe even backup TA partition, unlock, root, and flash a different Stock ROM and/or a custom ROM (CM, Carbon, etc), and see if the problem persists.

If there still is a problem then it definitely is a phone (hardware) problem, especially considering other devices work on the same network you're attempting to connect to.

I updated using PC companion as soon as I got it.

I would love to try flashing it and using either the latest official unbranded rom for my phone or CM/omnirom but I still have one year of warranty left which I don't really want to void. But to be honest if I can't get to fix the phone in the next month or two I'll probably buy a Nexus 5 and flash the hell out of my xperia T.
Last edited by Habulin; 29th August 2014 at 08:46 PM.
29th August 2014, 08:59 PM   |  #4  
Thanks Meter: 1,059

1,306 posts
Donate to Me
Quote:

I updated using PC companion as soon as I got it.

I would love to try flashing it and using either the latest official unbranded rom for my phone or CM/omnirom but I still have one year of warranty left which I don't really want to void. But to be honest if I can't get to fix the phone in the next month or two I'll probably buy a Nexus 5 and flash the hell out of my xperia T.

When flashing a unbranded ftf with Flashtool you dont lose warranty, as far as I know.

If nothing helps with your issue, you could send the phone to Sony two more times and ask for a refund, should the problem persist.
The Following User Says Thank You to WhiteNeo For This Useful Post: [ View ]
29th August 2014, 09:13 PM   |  #5  
OP Junior Member

6 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiteNeo

When flashing a unbranded ftf with Flashtool you dont lose warranty, as far as I know.

If nothing helps with your issue, you could send the phone to Sony two more times and ask for a refund, should the problem persist.

So if I understood you right flashing does not void my warranty because there is no need to root the phone which means as well that there is not need to unlock the bootloader? Side question, is this "global" or can my operator deny warranty because of an unbranded rom on the phone?
Last edited by Habulin; 29th August 2014 at 09:23 PM.
29th August 2014, 09:24 PM   |  #6  

1,306 posts
Donate to Me
Quote:

So if I understood you right flashing does not void my warranty because there is no need to root the phone which means as well that there is not need to unlock the bootloader? Side question, is this "global" or can my operator deny warranty because of an unbranded rom on the phone? developer.sonymobile.com/services/flash-tool is this a legit site and trustworthy?

Flashing with Flashtool (the one here on xda, not Sony) is like updating via pc companion.
Just keep an ftf of your original operator firmware on your computer, should you need to revert for warranty purposes.

Flashtool leaves no traces on the device.
29th August 2014, 09:42 PM   |  #7  
OP Junior Member

6 posts
Quote:

Flashing with Flashtool (the one here on xda, not Sony) is like updating via pc companion.
Just keep an ftf of your original operator firmware on your computer, should you need to revert for warranty purposes.

Flashtool leaves no traces on the device.

showthread.php?t=2648320

There isn't any Unbranded - Central Europe so should I just pick the Unbranded -Germany as there is no Unbranded - Slovenia? It doesn't make any difference anyways as far as I understand it.
30th August 2014, 12:53 AM   |  #8  
Thanks Meter: 569

843 posts
Quote:

...but I still have one year of warranty left which I don't really want to void.

I've backed up my TA partition, unlocked it, rooted it, changed ROMs, gone back to stock, relocked bootloader, and it's never left any trace of me having altered it, so if you do things properly, I don't see how you would lose the warranty. What they don't know can't hurt them
The Following User Says Thank You to Antiga Prime For This Useful Post: [ View ]
30th August 2014, 01:38 AM   |  #9  

1,306 posts
Donate to Me
Quote:

showthread.php?t=2648320

There isn't any Unbranded - Central Europe so should I just pick the Unbranded -Germany as there is no Unbranded - Slovenia? It doesn't make any difference anyways as far as I understand it.

Yep. Theres no difference exept some preinstalled stuff.
.. So good luck with flashing!
30th August 2014, 01:44 AM   |  #10  
OP Junior Member

6 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Antiga Prime

I've backed up my TA partition, unlocked it, rooted it, changed ROMs, gone back to stock, relocked bootloader, and it's never left any trace of me having altered it, so if you do things properly, I don't see how you would lose the warranty. What they don't know can't hurt them

That is quite true.

Quote:

Yep. Theres no difference exept some preinstalled stuff.
.. So good luck with flashing!

I'll be sure to try it as soon as I get my phone back from the repair center. If it doesn't fix my problem I'll just buy a Nexus 5 which should pretty much fix all my problems regarding updates too.

Thank you for the advice everyone.

Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread