Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,807,179 Members 41,330 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] How to update 4.4.2 root but no recovery

Tip us?

Walter_White
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 9
Default [Q] How to update 4.4.2 root but no recovery

Hi!

I have the SGP311 with the 4.2.2 Version of Android. Back then I rooted it using the tool VRoot (i think that was the name).

As all I wanted was root for TiBackup I left it at that. Stock ROM, some modifications through root access, but I saw no need to go further.

I would now like to update. OTA does not work, either because I am root or because the bootloader unlock (which I think happened during the root process).

There are so many guides out there, some contradictory or rather relying on going from certain versions to the newest.

What is my best bet?

Unroot and Relock, OTA update, then re-root? Is there a Guide to that?

Or how do I get a recovery on there easily? Guide?

Then assuming I have recovery on, what do I flash. Sony has grown on me, so I am happy with a stock rom or something very close to it, if I can root it for my mods.

What is the least dangerous way to get this tablet up to date?

Thanks for your help!

Cat McGowan
Old
Thanks Meter 345
Quote:
Originally Posted by Walter_White View Post
Hi! I have the SGP311 with the 4.2.2 Version of Android. Back then I rooted it using the tool VRoot (i think that was the name). As all I wanted was root for TiBackup I left it at that. Stock ROM, some modifications through root access, but I saw no need to go further. I would now like to update. OTA does not work, either because I am root or because the bootloader unlock (which I think happened during the root process). There are so many guides out there, some contradictory or rather relying on going from certain versions to the newest. What is my best bet? Unroot and Relock, OTA update, then re-root? Is there a Guide to that? Or how do I get a recovery on there easily? Guide? Then assuming I have recovery on, what do I flash. Sony has grown on me, so I am happy with a stock rom or something very close to it, if I can root it for my mods. What is the least dangerous way to get this tablet up to date? Thanks for your help!
Vroot would not have unlocked the tablet's boot loader, so are you sure it is unlocked? And have you tried using Sony PC Companion to update the firmware? I was going to recommend trying to use Sony Mobile Update Service, which I preferred over PC Companion, but it appears Sony stopped supporting it.
Xperia Tablet Z (SGP312U1/B) with Android 4.4.4 build 10.5.1.A.0.283 R2D Rooted
Sony Tablet S (SGPT112US/S) with Android 4.0.3r5a build TISU0013410 Rooted
Google Nexus 7 FHD 2013 (ME571K/K008 32GB) with Android 4.4.4 build KTU84P Rooted
Samsung Galaxy S 5 (SM-G900V) with Android 4.4.4 build KTU84P.G900VVRU1ANHA Rooted
Amazon Fire TV (AFTB) with Android 4.2.2 build JDQ39 51.1.1.0_user_511070220 Rooted