No registration required

[Q] How to update 4.4.2 root but no recovery

OP Walter_White

15th August 2014, 01:12 AM   |  #1  
OP Member
Thanks Meter: 9

79 posts
Hi!

I have the SGP311 with the 4.2.2 Version of Android. Back then I rooted it using the tool VRoot (i think that was the name).

As all I wanted was root for TiBackup I left it at that. Stock ROM, some modifications through root access, but I saw no need to go further.

I would now like to update. OTA does not work, either because I am root or because the bootloader unlock (which I think happened during the root process).

There are so many guides out there, some contradictory or rather relying on going from certain versions to the newest.

What is my best bet?

Unroot and Relock, OTA update, then re-root? Is there a Guide to that?

Or how do I get a recovery on there easily? Guide?

Then assuming I have recovery on, what do I flash. Sony has grown on me, so I am happy with a stock rom or something very close to it, if I can root it for my mods.

What is the least dangerous way to get this tablet up to date?

Thanks for your help!
15th August 2014, 05:54 AM   |  #2  
Thanks Meter: 355

808 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Walter_White

Hi! I have the SGP311 with the 4.2.2 Version of Android. Back then I rooted it using the tool VRoot (i think that was the name). As all I wanted was root for TiBackup I left it at that. Stock ROM, some modifications through root access, but I saw no need to go further. I would now like to update. OTA does not work, either because I am root or because the bootloader unlock (which I think happened during the root process). There are so many guides out there, some contradictory or rather relying on going from certain versions to the newest. What is my best bet? Unroot and Relock, OTA update, then re-root? Is there a Guide to that? Or how do I get a recovery on there easily? Guide? Then assuming I have recovery on, what do I flash. Sony has grown on me, so I am happy with a stock rom or something very close to it, if I can root it for my mods. What is the least dangerous way to get this tablet up to date? Thanks for your help!

Vroot would not have unlocked the tablet's boot loader, so are you sure it is unlocked? And have you tried using Sony PC Companion to update the firmware? I was going to recommend trying to use Sony Mobile Update Service, which I preferred over PC Companion, but it appears Sony stopped supporting it.
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread