Ask a question

No registration required

[Q] Sony Xperia Tablet Z - poor streaming video quality

OP iosandroid

23rd February 2014, 03:09 PM   |  #1  
OP Junior Member
Thanks Meter: 4

21 posts
I bought a Sony XTZ couple weeks ago. I love everything about this tablet, until I watched a movie on Netflix on it. It is borderline blurry compared to streaming the same title on Windows 8 or iPad. So I thought it's just a Netflix thing, until last night I played a movie from Google Play. It looked absolutely horrible, SD quality. It is not my internet connection speed as I get 100/30Mbps here.

I Googled this subject and found no information about this. Am I seeing things or is there something wrong with my Sony XTZ?
23rd February 2014, 07:15 PM   |  #2  
OP Junior Member

21 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by iosandroid

I bought a Sony XTZ couple weeks ago. I love everything about this tablet, until I watched a movie on Netflix on it. It is borderline blurry compared to streaming the same title on Windows 8 or iPad. So I thought it's just a Netflix thing, until last night I played a movie from Google Play. It looked absolutely horrible, SD quality. It is not my internet connection speed as I get 100/30Mbps here.

I Googled this subject and found no information about this. Am I seeing things or is there something wrong with my Sony XTZ?

So I did some more reading, apparently Sony didn't pay for licensing for HD playback on the XTZ I've read that even Sony's own video services do not offer HD playback on the XTZ. Wow, just wow. I really love this tablet but this is a deal breaker.

I have 4 more days to request a return on this. I was trying to get it to update to the latest 10.4.1.b.0.101 but it's not available yet. I will give it 3 more days to see if the update hits, and see if it enables HD playback. If not I have to return it which will be unfortunate and very disappointing.
26th February 2014, 09:37 PM   |  #3  
Flag Hermosillo
Thanks Meter: 1

35 posts
More
Please tell me this is not true ..
Quote:

So I did some more reading, apparently Sony didn't pay for licensing for HD playback on the XTZ I've read that even Sony's own video services do not offer HD playback on the XTZ. Wow, just wow. I really love this tablet but this is a deal breaker.

I have 4 more days to request a return on this. I was trying to get it to update to the latest 10.4.1.b.0.101 but it's not available yet. I will give it 3 more days to see if the update hits, and see if it enables HD playback. If not I have to return it which will be unfortunate and very disappointing.

Please tell me this is not true DAMMN im about to buy this tablet ..( not waiting for the z2 because the tablet is on 350$ deal so yeah..)
i love watching netflix and i when i see this .. well no, just no i have like 24 hours before the deals end .. someone tell me that i can watch hd content on it .. is it netflix only or all hd playback?
26th February 2014, 10:16 PM   |  #4  
OP Junior Member

21 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jesusitox12

Please tell me this is not true DAMMN im about to buy this tablet ..( not waiting for the z2 because the tablet is on 350$ deal so yeah..)
i love watching netflix and i when i see this .. well no, just no i have like 24 hours before the deals end .. someone tell me that i can watch hd content on it .. is it netflix only or all hd playback?

Yes, all streaming HD services. Very disappointing as I loved everything about this tablet. I really wanted it to work, so much so that I called Xperia support even knowing it'd be a waste of time. First thing I was asked was if I can copy the movies to my XTZ to be played.

This appears to affect the entire range of Xperia devices including the flagship Z1 Ultra. I'll link two samples I found here, but I saw the same complaints on other Xperia devices. I've found no complaints about Netflix, but trust me, if you watch the same title on Netflix with any other devices, the quality difference will be clear - it's way sharper even on a 720p device than on the XTZ.

http://talk.sonymobile.com/t5/Xperia...ck/td-p/362656

http://talk.sonymobile.com/t5/Xperia...ck/td-p/417467
28th February 2014, 03:04 AM   |  #5  
Flag Hermosillo
Thanks Meter: 1

35 posts
More
Quote:

Yes, all streaming HD services. Very disappointing as I loved everything about this tablet. I really wanted it to work, so much so that I called Xperia support even knowing it'd be a waste of time. First thing I was asked was if I can copy the movies to my XTZ to be played.
This appears to affect the entire range of Xperia devices including the flagship Z1 Ultra. I'll link two samples I found here, but I saw the same complaints on other Xperia devices. I've found no complaints about Netflix, but trust me, if you watch the same title on Netflix with any other devices, the quality difference will be clear - it's way sharper even on a 720p device than on the XTZ.

http://talk.sonymobile.com/t5/Xperia...ck/td-p/362656

http://talk.sonymobile.com/t5/Xperia...ck/td-p/417467

Well sucks a lot I think I'll wait for the z2 or the next nexus 10
28th February 2014, 04:38 PM   |  #6  
OP Junior Member

21 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jesusitox12

Well sucks a lot I think I'll wait for the z2 or the next nexus 10

I don't know if the XTZ 2 will not have that issue - this seems to be an issue with every Xperia devices even the Z1 Ultra which came out not that long ago..
7th March 2014, 03:33 PM   |  #7  
OP Junior Member

21 posts
So I returned the XTZ and bought an LG G Pad 8.3, and find that the LG also has poor Netflix streaming quality, but at least the LG can play HD contents from Google Play which the XTZ would only play SD quality.

Did some more reading on this matter. 1080p Netflix on Android requires Android 4.3 (which the XTZ does in fact have) that has additional DRM API built-in, but it seems the ONLY Android device that can do 1080p streaming is the Nexus 7 2013. One might say on a smallish tablet device 720p vs 1080p shouldn't matter. I probably would've thought so myself if I hadn't been spoiled by the biting sharpness from iPads and Windows 8 devices when watching Netflix. The difference is immediately noticeable.

I've attached some pictures to show the difference in case anyone is interested to see. The difference in person is greater than these pictures show.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1.jpg
Views:	120
Size:	178.0 KB
ID:	2618338   Click image for larger version

Name:	2.jpg
Views:	104
Size:	143.9 KB
ID:	2618339   Click image for larger version

Name:	3.jpg
Views:	100
Size:	124.5 KB
ID:	2618340   Click image for larger version

Name:	4.jpg
Views:	100
Size:	103.1 KB
ID:	2618341   Click image for larger version

Name:	5.jpg
Views:	97
Size:	210.0 KB
ID:	2618342  
The Following User Says Thank You to iosandroid For This Useful Post: [ View ]
18th March 2014, 01:50 AM   |  #8  
Thanks Meter: 8

18 posts
More
Quote:

Did some more reading on this matter. 1080p Netflix on Android requires Android 4.3 (which the XTZ does in fact have) that has additional DRM API built-in, but it seems the ONLY Android device that can do 1080p streaming is the Nexus 7 2013. One might say on a smallish tablet device 720p vs 1080p shouldn't matter. I probably would've thought so myself if I hadn't been spoiled by the biting sharpness from iPads and Windows 8 devices when watching Netflix. The difference is immediately noticeable.

I'm pretty sure all non-Nexus 7 2013 devices only get 480p, hence the low quality. Netflix help pages also say HD is only supported on "new Nexus 7".
18th March 2014, 02:47 PM   |  #9  
OP Junior Member

21 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dsfdfsdfs

I'm pretty sure all non-Nexus 7 2013 devices only get 480p, hence the low quality. Netflix help pages also say HD is only supported on "new Nexus 7".

What is the reasoning for this? That's ridiculous.

I kid you not, the regular iPad Mini with the 1024x768 screen and the Dell Windows 8.1 8" 1280x800 tablets look much sharper than the non-Nexus 7 full HD Android tablets I've tried so far. Yes I had a 2013 Nexus 7 previously and Netflix is very sharp on it. This inconsistent experience from Android is a big turn off, although I like the LG G Pad a lot and it is a keeper. I'll just use my other gadgets when I watch Netflix.
21st March 2014, 08:24 AM   |  #10  
Thanks Meter: 21

218 posts
I don't think there would be much differences in your images above.
Since each tablet you used has different brightness and contrast, so the picture sharpness looks different.
I have attached my photos showing pictures from XTZ and iPad Air. The two are a little out of sync.
Look at detail of Liam's shirt. They are the same on both XTZ and Air.

Last edited by ngvuanh; 21st March 2014 at 08:27 AM.

Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread