Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,769,248 Members 39,245 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

Auto-Brightness & screen lock

Tip us?

volgis
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Question Auto-Brightness & screen lock

Hi,

I've had my xperia S for a couple of days now and I did not notice a change in brightness depending on the ambient light. I've checked in the screen section under setting and there is no option for auto-brightness unlike my previous android phone (Nexus 1). Does the Xperia S have an auto-brightness option?

Moreover, I'm used to using the pattern lock on my previous phone. With the Xperia S, when I enable the pattern security feature, I am also presented with the normal screen lock (lock/mute). Is there a way to disable that screen?

Thank you in advance

gbil
Old
Thanks Meter 331
Quote:
Originally Posted by volgis View Post
Hi,

I've had my xperia S for a couple of days now and I did not notice a change in brightness depending on the ambient light. I've checked in the screen section under setting and there is no option for auto-brightness unlike my previous android phone (Nexus 1). Does the Xperia S have an auto-brightness option?

Moreover, I'm used to using the pattern lock on my previous phone. With the Xperia S, when I enable the pattern security feature, I am also presented with the normal screen lock (lock/mute). Is there a way to disable that screen?

Thank you in advance
If I am not mistaken no SE phone has auto-brightness, reason is nowhere to be found....

The same for the lock screen, most probably the ingenuity of the SE/S engineers stopped after creating Timescape...

volgis
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by gbil View Post
If I am not mistaken no SE phone has auto-brightness, reason is nowhere to be found...
That is too bad, I really like the auto-brightness feature on phone. It helps improve the battery life.

Cholek3
Old
(Last edited by Cholek3; 5th March 2012 at 11:04 AM.)
Thanks Meter 75
Quote:
That is too bad, I really like the auto-brightness feature on phone. It helps improve the battery life.
What about widgets? Check them (there was something like Power Widget, or Power Control, can't remember), or you could use external aplication. I think Extended Controls or Free Power Widget got something like that. It is not in Display Settings anymore.

UPDATE:

Power Control (It has Wi-Fi, BT, GPS, Sync and Brightness buttons) Brightness should have 3 settings: Max, auto and minimum.

volgis
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cholek3 View Post
What about widgets? Check them (there was something like Power Widget, or Power Control, can't remember), or you could use external aplication. I think Extended Controls or Free Power Widget got something like that. It is not in Display Settings anymore.

I do use widgets to control the brightness manually (power widgets & beautiful widgets). Both control brightness and power widget even has an auto-brightness check box that has no effect what so ever.

THeLogiC
Old
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter 892
Quote:
I do use widgets to control the brightness manually (power widgets & beautiful widgets). Both control brightness and power widget even has an auto-brightness check box that has no effect what so ever.
if you want to control brightness easy way try this app:

Display Brightness
X10 Stock Firmware Collection
X10-The Ultimate ROMS/KERNELS List for GB/ICS
Latest FXP 142 cm9.1 Download Link for Xperia X10

Current Configuration:
Bootloader Status: Unlocked
Kernel: doomkernel v6
ROM: cm7zmod v3 by zdzihu

floepie
Old
Thanks Meter 341
Woah, wait a minute. No auto-brightness? That can't be. The specs sure indicate there is ambient light sensor. There is indeed no "auto-brightness" box to check off, unlike with other Android devices, but I thought that this new Xperia series is supposed to work like iOS devices do. In other words, you move the slider to determine the *average* brightness of the screen, just the way an iphone or ipad does. The screen gets brighter in with more ambient light and dimmer in darkness, but the average brightness is controlled by the slider.

Most other Android devices use the slider to determine a "fixed" brightness, not an average dynamic brightness.

Are you sure the brightness doesn't change?? I find that hard to believe with an ambient light sensor on board.

motionUS
Old
(Last edited by motionUS; 6th March 2012 at 12:21 AM.)
Thanks Meter 4
The white paper says there is an ambient light sensor.

zaynal
Old
Thanks Meter 73
I just checked the user guide installed on my XPS. It mentioned about light sensor and brightness adjustment.

Kneko183
Old
Thanks Meter 1
Open Phonebook and dial *#*#7378423#*#*.
Service Tests → Ambient Light Sensor

It works.

Sent from my SO-02D using XDA

The Following User Says Thank You to Kneko183 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]