Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,786,401 Members 44,140 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

Battery Consuming Culprits

Tip us?
 
waqar89
Old
(Last edited by waqar89; 15th February 2014 at 02:00 PM.) Reason: Links added
#1  
waqar89's Avatar
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 14
Posts: 107
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Karachi
Battery Low Battery Consuming Culprits

Hello guys, you might be thinking that this guy must be talking about battery saving apps.. Well the answer is no. I am here to show you how to save battery by yourself and and not with the help of any kind of battery saver app. However these may be a part of this procedure. So let's start

Prerequisites:
-Rooted phone
-Greenify installed
-Cool tool
-GSam/Better battery stats
-Brain


First of all think about those culprits that consume your phone's battery. You can do this by installing cool tool you can download from Google play.
Now if u have "cool tool" installed, do some changes in its preferences and enable it. You should see something like in the screenshot below.



Once the above status is shown, you can see that how much processor is being used. Now look at the screen shot below, my phone has currently no animation and I am on my home screen and you can see that my processor being used is only 7%, it fluctuates from 2 to 8% in idle state. (I have almost more than 100 apps installed) and my battery last for 1.5 to 2 days with an average usage, moreover it doesn't drain during night. Same percentage in the morning as was @ night.



Now if your phone shows very high cpu usage while in idle state then Greenify all those apps that eats your battery. Now find the Culprit. This can be done with the help of either gsam battery monitor or better battery stats. Either be fine. So I will recommend GSam. Now look at the screen shots below:



With the help of above options given in the GSam you can find the culprits. Ignore those apps that you use frequently. As in my case I cannot see any such app as these are already in jail (greenified.) See below screen shot



I can show you my geeenified apps see below.. Fack!! so many o.O





And lastly you should create a shortcut of greenify for fast quick and regular access.

Another tip: some apps runs in startup so u can atleast move those apps which are installed in your phone. By moving these apps you will get more free space as well as these software will loose their startup capability. (must be careful)

THe comparison should be likewise so dont ever compare your battery with others because it drains as you use it. So always take notice of battery consumption during night when it is idle!!
Hope you'll like it.
Press thanks if I helped you.
Goodluck


EDIT: Links added
Brand: SONY
Model: XPERIA P
ROM: LT22i_XPERIA_Z1_6.2.A.1.100
Status: Rooted - CWM 6

History: Panasonic yellow screen (Dead) --> Siemens (dead) --> Motorolla L6 (sold) --> Motorolla L7 black (sold) --> Nokia 6600 (stole) --> Nokia 6600 (sold) --> Nokia N70 (Stole) --> Nokia N73 (Stole) --> Nokia 5230 (gave to someone) --> Sony Xperia P (in hand)

Battery Consuming Culprits
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to waqar89 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]
 
siraisy
Old
#2  
siraisy's Avatar
Junior Member
Thanks Meter 2
Posts: 19
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: Dhaka
this is amazing, keep it up
The Following User Says Thank You to siraisy For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]
 
cavaniii
Old
(Last edited by cavaniii; 17th February 2014 at 02:02 PM.) Reason: additional information
#3  
Junior Member
Thanks Meter 1
Posts: 19
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Dublin

 
DONATE TO ME
Battery Low xp

xperia p truly has the WORST battery life that I have ever experienced, anyways thanks for your recommendations and would you suggest removing system apps? or using a custom rom? <-- I am well aware of that sh*t but in your opinion would it help? I am extremely dependent on batterylife but im getting no where with xperia p

I am an HEAVY user and I have to charge it twice a day on the other hand I have Xperia Tipo which can EASILY last me 4-5days on a single charge and this is with moderate-heavy usage (I can fit in 5-6, 2hr movies also no problems)

I tried battery saving apps they all dont work (xD), I have used greenify but then uninstalled it (I will give it another go (: )

[EDIT] my screen is always <60% in power management -> battery :S is this normal? because I have it set to LOWEST brightness and 15 second timeout
 
Deichz
Old
#4  
Deichz's Avatar
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 174
Posts: 207
Join Date: Aug 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by cavaniii View Post
xperia p truly has the WORST battery life that I have ever experienced, anyways thanks for your recommendations and would you suggest removing system apps? or using a custom rom? <-- I am well aware of that sh*t but in your opinion would it help? I am extremely dependent on batterylife but im getting no where with xperia p

I am an HEAVY user and I have to charge it twice a day on the other hand I have Xperia Tipo which can EASILY last me 4-5days on a single charge and this is with moderate-heavy usage (I can fit in 5-6, 2hr movies also no problems)

I tried battery saving apps they all dont work (xD), I have used greenify but then uninstalled it (I will give it another go (: )

[EDIT] my screen is always <60% in power management -> battery :S is this normal? because I have it set to LOWEST brightness and 15 second timeout
my xsola only lasts 3/4 hours if the screen is on
 
waqar89
Old
(Last edited by waqar89; 17th February 2014 at 06:11 PM.)
#5  
waqar89's Avatar
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 14
Posts: 107
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Karachi
Quote:
Originally Posted by cavaniii View Post
xperia p truly has the WORST battery life that I have ever experienced, anyways thanks for your recommendations and would you suggest removing system apps? or using a custom rom? <-- I am well aware of that sh*t but in your opinion would it help? I am extremely dependent on batterylife but im getting no where with xperia p

I am an HEAVY user and I have to charge it twice a day on the other hand I have Xperia Tipo which can EASILY last me 4-5days on a single charge and this is with moderate-heavy usage (I can fit in 5-6, 2hr movies also no problems)

I tried battery saving apps they all dont work (xD), I have used greenify but then uninstalled it (I will give it another go (: )

[EDIT] my screen is always <60% in power management -> battery :S is this normal? because I have it set to LOWEST brightness and 15 second timeout
Agree @cavaniii Xperia P has the worst battery life but the good thing is that it is managable. Actually Xperia P has some really awesome hardware features such as HDMI output, Brightest screen (white magic), OTG support etc. but unfortunately the battery is not that powerful. Still I love Xperia P.

Answer to your Q1: Installing Custom ROMs may not significantly affect your battery life, it is the KERNEL that can actually affect your battery life. However Custom ROMs such as the one I have currently installed is light weight, smooth and Some battery optimization option in it. Infact i've noticed some improved life. Oh yes if you remove system apps then probably you may end up with FC errors in some other system apps, (happened with me once). I would recomend to try some custom ROMs, always choose light weight ROMs. Try this http://forum.xda-developers.com/xper...1-100-t2641646

Answer to your Q2: Your screen takes an averag of 60%, seems ok to me. Except in some scenarios such as where you are not a high-end gamer. Because the percentage of screen is the breakup of your whole battery which is 100%. so if most of the battery is consumed by any game then obviously your screen should be assigned a part of residual percentage, it should be less than 60%. well dont worry about it. The screen takes the most of the battery, try to keep it low as possible.



Quote:
Originally Posted by Deichz View Post
my xsola only lasts 3/4 hours if the screen is on
check if the battery drains during night. (WIFI should be off). IF yes then you have to find those battery suckers and greenify them. IF NO then your phone is old. ( I assume that you sleep during the night :P )
Brand: SONY
Model: XPERIA P
ROM: LT22i_XPERIA_Z1_6.2.A.1.100
Status: Rooted - CWM 6

History: Panasonic yellow screen (Dead) --> Siemens (dead) --> Motorolla L6 (sold) --> Motorolla L7 black (sold) --> Nokia 6600 (stole) --> Nokia 6600 (sold) --> Nokia N70 (Stole) --> Nokia N73 (Stole) --> Nokia 5230 (gave to someone) --> Sony Xperia P (in hand)

Battery Consuming Culprits
The Following User Says Thank You to waqar89 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]
 
cavaniii
Old
#6  
Junior Member
Thanks Meter 1
Posts: 19
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Dublin

 
DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by waqar89 View Post
Agree @cavaniii Xperia P has the worst battery life but the good thing is that it is managable. Actually Xperia P has some really awesome hardware features such as HDMI output, Brightest screen (white magic), OTG support etc. but unfortunately the battery is not that powerful. Still I love Xperia P.

Answer to your Q1: Installing Custom ROMs may not significantly affect your battery life, it is the KERNEL that can actually affect your battery life. However Custom ROMs such as the one I have currently installed is light weight, smooth and Some battery optimization option in it. Infact i've noticed some improved life. Oh yes if you remove system apps then probably you may end up with FC errors in some other system apps, (happened with me once). I would recomend to try some custom ROMs, always choose light weight ROMs. Try this http://forum.xda-developers.com/xper...1-100-t2641646

Answer to your Q2: Your screen takes an averag of 60%, seems ok to me. Except in some scenarios such as where you are not a high-end gamer. Because the percentage of screen is the breakup of your whole battery which is 100%. so if most of the battery is consumed by any game then obviously your screen should be assigned a part of residual percentage, it should be less than 60%. well dont worry about it. The screen takes the most of the battery, try to keep it low as possible.
agreed 100% I love Xperia P and I'm taking full advantage of it such as using the HDMI, OTG (flash drive, ps3 controller, mouse and keyboard)

unfortunately I can't flash a custom kernel because bootloader is locked but to be quite honest I'm happy running a clean fresh ics .75 rooted not that much bloatware (greenified them all now)

over night 0 or 1% falls but now that I think about it I'm always playing high-end games (real racing 3, modern combat 4, gta san andreas, nfs mw) I can't expect much battery then

anyways thanks for the quick reply & you just earned a 'thanks'
 
cavaniii
Old
#7  
Junior Member
Thanks Meter 1
Posts: 19
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Dublin

 
DONATE TO ME
Sorry to bother you again but a quick question; if you were to play a fairly heavy game how long would your phone go for? (I'm talking continuous from full charge to almost dead 1or2 percentage) I lasted 3.5 to 4hr <-- eye killer of test xD

And what's your screen-on timing on average (I could make my device run for 1week or 2 but it depends if I'm using it or not obviously)

My phone drains battery when I'm browsing and playing games, when it's idle or I'm just looking at images or whatever it barely goes down

Sent from my wonderful Xperia P (LT22i) using xda app-developers app
Brand: SONY
Model: XPERIA P
ROM: ICS Jelly Bean (STOCK)
Status: Rooted - CWM - BL locked

Brand: SONY
Model: XPERIA RAY
ROM: ICS (STOCK)
Status: Rooted - CWM - BL UNlocked

Brand: SONY
Model: XPERIA X8
ROM: MiniCM7 GB 2.3.7
Kernel:nAa 14
Overclock: 721Mhz
Status: Rooted - CWM - BL UNlocked

Brand: Vodafone
Model: Smart II
ROM: Alberto96 GB 2.3.7
Status: Rooted CWM BL locked
 
waqar89
Old
(Last edited by waqar89; 19th February 2014 at 12:12 PM.)
#8  
waqar89's Avatar
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 14
Posts: 107
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Karachi
Quote:
Originally Posted by cavaniii View Post
Sorry to bother you again but a quick question; if you were to play a fairly heavy game how long would your phone go for? (I'm talking continuous from full charge to almost dead 1or2 percentage) I lasted 3.5 to 4hr <-- eye killer of test xD

And what's your screen-on timing on average (I could make my device run for 1week or 2 but it depends if I'm using it or not obviously)

My phone drains battery when I'm browsing and playing games, when it's idle or I'm just looking at images or whatever it barely goes down

Sent from my wonderful Xperia P (LT22i) using xda app-developers app

You have a good battery backup MAN!
And please don't compare your battery backup with others. If you really want to campare then compare with your own results.
Ok for your info, If i play games continuosly then my phone would lasted 3 to 4 hours, but again it depends which game you play.
And same is the case with me, my phone drains batery when i am browsing and playing games when it's idle or I'm just looking at images or whatever it barely goes down.
Brand: SONY
Model: XPERIA P
ROM: LT22i_XPERIA_Z1_6.2.A.1.100
Status: Rooted - CWM 6

History: Panasonic yellow screen (Dead) --> Siemens (dead) --> Motorolla L6 (sold) --> Motorolla L7 black (sold) --> Nokia 6600 (stole) --> Nokia 6600 (sold) --> Nokia N70 (Stole) --> Nokia N73 (Stole) --> Nokia 5230 (gave to someone) --> Sony Xperia P (in hand)

Battery Consuming Culprits
 
bebiblu
Old
#9  
bebiblu's Avatar
Junior Member
Thanks Meter 1
Posts: 10
Join Date: Aug 2013
my xperia p only lasts ~4 hours doing medium load of calls, chats, and browsing.
weird indicator too, sometimes reboot with 50% battery shown.
with luck, after some reboots battery becomes normal...
any idea?
 
waqar89
Old
(Last edited by waqar89; 19th February 2014 at 01:30 PM.)
#10  
waqar89's Avatar
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 14
Posts: 107
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Karachi
Quote:
Originally Posted by bebiblu View Post
my xperia p only lasts ~4 hours doing medium load of calls, chats, and browsing.
weird indicator too, sometimes reboot with 50% battery shown.
with luck, after some reboots battery becomes normal...
any idea?
which ROM and kernel do you use?
Possibly some thirdparty apps may cause reboot.
The increased percentage of battery after reboot is not actual %, you might have noticed that the increased percentage drains faster.
The changed percentage after reboot is possibly due to some changes in the battery stats calculation (during approximation of remaining battery). It happens with me also. But as I said in the first post that my battery remains same overnight, but in this case when battery goes up after restart then my battery drains overnight to its actual level. So don't worry about it.
Brand: SONY
Model: XPERIA P
ROM: LT22i_XPERIA_Z1_6.2.A.1.100
Status: Rooted - CWM 6

History: Panasonic yellow screen (Dead) --> Siemens (dead) --> Motorolla L6 (sold) --> Motorolla L7 black (sold) --> Nokia 6600 (stole) --> Nokia 6600 (sold) --> Nokia N70 (Stole) --> Nokia N73 (Stole) --> Nokia 5230 (gave to someone) --> Sony Xperia P (in hand)

Battery Consuming Culprits

Tags
battery consuming culprits, battery drain solution
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes