Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,739,099 Members 45,663 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

Best alternative app (for less ram use)

Tip us?

jonajams
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Smile Best alternative app (for less ram use)

hi guys, i was looking for some "alternative" app I can use on my xperia u to have more free ram. I saw that fb, gmail and similar are quite heavy, so I was wonder to switch them with something lighter. Can you suggest something? just about all apps, not only these few

louism182
Old
Thanks Meter 2
Maybe try switching to ART runtime? Unless you use Xposed module

jonajams
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by louism182 View Post
Maybe try switching to ART runtime? Unless you use Xposed module
sorry, what? I'm not such a skilled user..

louism182
Old
Thanks Meter 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by jonajams View Post
sorry, what? I'm not such a skilled user..
Ah, well, ART is a new experimental runtime introduced in Android KitKat (Which I'm assuming is the version you're using) Now i'm not entirely sure on how ART works (Someone feel free to correct me) but it basically store's all or most of the app to the system which allows the phone to access it faster compared to the current runtime (JIT/Dalvik) which loads the app Just In Time, every time you load it up.

For KitKat
Make sure to make a backup before you attempt this incase anything goes wrong resulting in your phone not being able to boot.

To enable the runtime, just navigate to Developer Options (If not alread enabled, go to Settings > About Device and scroll down to "Build Number" Tap that 7 times and it should give you a prompt telling you it's been enabled.

From there, navigate back to the settings menu and all the way to the bottom. You should now see a developer options listing. Click it and scroll all the way to the bottom to the "Apps" Category. Tap the option "Select Runtime" this should bring up a menu with the option to switch between runtimes. Now just press "Use ART" and press OK on the warning that pops up. You're phone will reboot and will now reinstall all and optimise all of your apps ready for ART mode. You will not lose any of your app data.

jonajams
Old
(Last edited by jonajams; 22nd July 2014 at 05:49 PM.)
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by louism182 View Post
Ah, well, ART is a new experimental runtime introduced in Android KitKat (Which I'm assuming is the version you're using) Now i'm not entirely sure on how ART works (Someone feel free to correct me) but it basically store's all or most of the app to the system which allows the phone to access it faster compared to the current runtime (JIT/Dalvik) which loads the app Just In Time, every time you load it up.

For KitKat
Make sure to make a backup before you attempt this incase anything goes wrong resulting in your phone not being able to boot.

To enable the runtime, just navigate to Developer Options (If not alread enabled, go to Settings > About Device and scroll down to "Build Number" Tap that 7 times and it should give you a prompt telling you it's been enabled.

From there, navigate back to the settings menu and all the way to the bottom. You should now see a developer options listing. Click it and scroll all the way to the bottom to the "Apps" Category. Tap the option "Select Runtime" this should bring up a menu with the option to switch between runtimes. Now just press "Use ART" and press OK on the warning that pops up. You're phone will reboot and will now reinstall all and optimise all of your apps ready for ART mode. You will not lose any of your app data.
i'm using the mod flying thor, do you know if is it already activate?

i checked, i cannot do what you wrote

jonajams
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Quote:

i mean, you said you have my same rom, but i can't follow what you wrote...!

ilysomma
Old
Thanks Meter 97
Quote:

Of course you can't...ART is available for KitKat based ROMS only, while FlyingTor is a JB stock ROM.

By the way,he just asked for some alternative apps, so please keep on topic and don't confuse him!

---------- Post added at 09:53 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:50 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilysomma View Post
Of course you can't...ART is available for KitKat based ROMS only, while FlyingTor is a JB stock ROM.

By the way,he just asked for some alternative apps, so please keep on topic and don't confuse him!
My suggestion is to use fast for facebook as an alternative FB client,it's really lightweight,smooth and fast For Gmail you can try Mailbox(a really good app!)

jonajams
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Quote:

---------- Post added at 09:53 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:50 PM ----------

My suggestion is to use fast for facebook as an alternative FB client,it's really lightweight,smooth and fast For Gmail you can try Mailbox(a really good app!)
the one i was really looking through to change was google maps, it's really useful but so heavy to run...don't you have some advice here?

ilysomma
Old
Thanks Meter 97
Quote:
the one i was really looking through to change was google maps, it's really useful but so heavy to run...don't you have some advice here?
I don't use those apps on my phone (I have a navigator in my car) but you can try waze,mapfactor or OsmAnd

jonajams
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Quote:
I don't use those apps on my phone (I have a navigator in my car) but you can try waze,mapfactor or OsmAnd
uhm do they work as g.maps or are just maps?