5,596,354 Members 38,901 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] What about simlock?

Tip us?
 
hilaldroid
Old
#1  
hilaldroid's Avatar
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 6
Posts: 46
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Paris
Question [Q] What about simlock?

Hi friends,

Before buying this cute smartphone, I want to know if we have solutions to unsimlock the Xperia S.

Thank you all
 
marcoplo
Old
(Last edited by marcoplo; 20th March 2012 at 11:20 AM.)
#2  
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 56
Posts: 604
Join Date: Nov 2010
if you have option, buy unlocked one


why?

1) phone is locked so no other network
2)unlocking phone would be very expensive since is new so 30-40 + wait to people work out how to (price in highstreet)
3)instatly lose warranty - (test point)
4) locked bootloader no fun on xda
-no fastboot
-no unlocked botlooader
-no xrecovery
-no custom rom
-no root
- long wait for update.
- i am not sure whether unlock simlock = unlocked bootloader.
 
dragon546
Old
#3  
dragon546's Avatar
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 115
Posts: 576
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Sutton
Quote:
Originally Posted by hilaldroid View Post
Hi friends,

Before buying this cute smartphone, I want to know if we have solutions to unsimlock the Xperia S.

Thank you all
Currently there is no free Sim Unlock in the DEV section. Best check next time before asking

The phone has been out around 3 weeks, might be a while before a solution can be found.
 
hilaldroid
Old
#4  
hilaldroid's Avatar
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 6
Posts: 46
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Paris
I have checked more than you can imagine that's why I have asked to know if there is a solution because I didn't find it
 
augie7107
Old
#5  
augie7107's Avatar
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 138
Posts: 1,314
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Boston
Docomo unlocked at purchase for $39 USD

Sent from my SO-02D using xda premium
 
MattNoblett
Old
#6  
Member
Thanks Meter 0
Posts: 36
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Lancashire
I won my Xperia S in a competition from Three UK.

I'm on Orange and have my contract to pay so I asked Three for an unlock code. They've had to speak to Sony because even Three don't have a code yet.

I paid 15 on 9th March and I'm still waiting for an unlock, just want to use my beautiful Xperia
 
moonset
Old
#7  
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 7
Posts: 108
Join Date: May 2010
Location: London
Quote:
Originally Posted by marcoplo View Post
if you have option, buy unlocked one


why?

1) phone is locked so no other network
2)unlocking phone would be very expensive since is new so 30-40 + wait to people work out how to (price in highstreet)
3)instatly lose warranty - (test point)
4) locked bootloader no fun on xda
-no fastboot
-no unlocked botlooader
-no xrecovery
-no custom rom
-no root
- long wait for update.
- i am not sure whether unlock simlock = unlocked bootloader.
Are you sure?

A network locked phone cannot be root and no unlocked bootloader?

my X10 was locked and I could root it easily and flash other official roms (different baseband).

Then I sim-unlocked it before flashing custom roms, so I don't know if I am able to do that with a locked phone though.
 
MattNoblett
Old
#8  
Member
Thanks Meter 0
Posts: 36
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Lancashire
Quote:
Originally Posted by moonset View Post
Are you sure?

A network locked phone cannot be root and no unlocked bootloader?

my X10 was locked and I could root it easily and flash other official roms (different baseband).

Then I sim-unlocked it before flashing custom roms, so I don't know if I am able to do that with a locked phone though.
Just got my Xperia unlocked officially from Three UK. So it works on any network however all the Three integration is still there and after checking the bootloader status I am unable to unlock the bootloader as of now.

So although it's unlocked to any network, it's still kinda locked with regards to the bootloader and rooting.
 
moonset
Old
#9  
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 7
Posts: 108
Join Date: May 2010
Location: London
Quote:
Originally Posted by MattNoblett View Post
Just got my Xperia unlocked officially from Three UK. So it works on any network however all the Three integration is still there and after checking the bootloader status I am unable to unlock the bootloader as of now.

So although it's unlocked to any network, it's still kinda locked with regards to the bootloader and rooting.
Have you flashed an un-brand firmware? (there is a way to flash another official rom without rooting/unlocking) Maybe it would be bootloader unlock-able after that...? (i really not sure about this)

But there should be a way to root the phone without bootloader unlocked soon or later anyway (just like the others)

and i know that the X10 can be bootloader unlock even with simlock (although the method came out quite late...)

it's just a matter of time, shouldn't be the end of the world
 
MattNoblett
Old
#10  
Member
Thanks Meter 0
Posts: 36
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Lancashire
Quote:
Originally Posted by moonset View Post
Have you flashed an un-brand firmware? (there is a way to flash another official rom without rooting/unlocking) Maybe it would be bootloader unlock-able after that...? (i really not sure about this)

But there should be a way to root the phone without bootloader unlocked soon or later anyway (just like the others)

and i know that the X10 can be bootloader unlock even with simlock (although the method came out quite late...)

it's just a matter of time, shouldn't be the end of the world
I've not flashed any new firmware as of yet because I'm not confident in what I'm doing haha. I'm not rushing to find anything, but would like to root at some stage. And if I can unlock the bootloader I would :P

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes