5,596,784 Members 47,994 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Solved] Usb power consumption error on usb otg (root required)

Tip us?

dddeepdc
Old
(Last edited by dddeepdc; 31st December 2013 at 12:50 PM.)
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 4
Storage [Solved] Usb power consumption error on usb otg (root required)

So I was having this power consumption error with my hp pendrives and ssd. Searched the net for a software solution but couldn't find any except the terminal emulator command method which didn't work for me. So I tried to improvise on the idea and finally succeeded. It's basically the same idea but in a different way.

Clarification- this method is to only override the power consumption error which prevents the mounting of the removable device. So the power consumption will be still there and the charge will be drained at a fast pace if used for long time. U can use the method for copy files between your phone and the pendrive or for viewing for a small time. Adequate charge is therefore highly recommended.

Method-
1.plug in the device into the otg cable and then the cable into the phone.
2.wait till the power consumption error message is displayed.
3.using a root explorer(e.g. es file explorer) go to the folder 'root>sys>bus>usb>devices>1-1'
4.open the file 'bConfigurationValue' with a text editor(es text editor in my case). It should be blank. Edit and put the value 1 and save the file.
5.Your device will now be mounted and the message will be displayed in the statusbar.
6.Your device is now explorable.

N.B.- In some cases instead of the power consumption error message, usb devices disabled message is shown. If it happens try unplugging and replugging till the power consumption error message is shown.

Disclaimer -
1.This method worked for me and so I shared. I wont be responsible for any damaged os or device.
2.I dont knw if anyone has shared the method before. Didnt find anywhere when I searched.

Device used- Xperia U on rooted ics. Should work for other related devices too.

Video tutorial - Search YouTube for 'How to solve Usb power consumption error on
usb otg (root required) [HD]'
(I will add the link once I m allowed to)
Thanks to SohaibAhmed for the video tutorial.

Credits- I got the idea from the terminal emulator command method. And I dont know who originally shared it. So thanks to him.

This is my first submission to xda. Plz be considerate about any mistakes. Thank you all.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to dddeepdc For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

ShoaibAhmed
Old
Thanks Meter 677

DONATE TO ME
@dddeepdc
I got this error , I can't mount 16 gb USB pen drive

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_2013-12-28-21-05-00.png
Views:	1100
Size:	108.9 KB
ID:	2479556  

dddeepdc
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShoaibAhmed View Post
@dddeepdc
I got this error , I can't mount 16 gb USB pen drive

if this error is there everytime u plug in the device then it is because of a bad cable or usb storage. I use to get this when I plug in a sd card reader with a bad card or a pendrive formatted as ntfs. plz check whether the pendrive u plugged is mounted in a pc. or try after a reboot of the phone.
The Following User Says Thank You to dddeepdc For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

ShoaibAhmed
Old
Thanks Meter 677

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by dddeepdc View Post
if this error is there everytime u plug in the device then it is because of a bad cable or usb storage. I use to get this when I plug in a sd card reader with a bad card or a pendrive formatted as ntfs. plz check whether the pendrive u plugged is mounted in a pc. or try after a reboot of the phone.
Thanks it was NTFS that's why it wasn't detected . Now it's working.

bharathbondfire
Old
Thanks Meter 97
Quote:
Originally Posted by dddeepdc View Post
So I was having this power consumption error with my hp pendrives and ssd. Searched the net for a software solution but couldn't find any except the terminal emulator command method which didn't work for me. So I tried to improvise on the idea and finally succeeded. It's basically the same idea but in a different way.

Clarification- this method is to only override the power consumption error which prevents the mounting of the removable device. So the power consumption will be still there and the charge will be drained at a fast pace if used for long time. U can use the method for copy files between your phone and the pendrive or for viewing for a small time. Adequate charge is therefore highly recommended.

Method-
1.plug in the device into the otg cable and then the cable into the phone.
2.wait till the power consumption error message is displayed.
3.using a root explorer(e.g. es file explorer) go to the folder 'root>sys>bus>usb>devices>1-1'
4.open the file 'bConfigurationValue' with a text editor(es text editor in my case). It should be blank. Edit and put the value 1 and save the file.
5.Your device will now be mounted and the message will be displayed in the statusbar.
6.Your device is now explorable.

N.B.- In some cases instead of the power consumption error message, usb devices disabled message is shown. If it happens try unplugging and replugging till the power consumption error message is shown.

Disclaimer -
1.This method worked for me and so I shared. I wont be responsible for any damaged os or device.
2.I dont knw if anyone has shared the method before. Didnt find anywhere when I searched.

Device used- Xperia U on rooted ics. Should work for other related devices too.

Credits- I got the idea from the terminal emulator command method. And I dont know who originally shared it. So thanks to him.

This is my first submission to xda. Plz be considerate about any mistakes. Thank you all.
Good it worked.

dddeepdc
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShoaibAhmed View Post
thanks for the video tutorial . and about the draw back you pointed, I m sure it can be automated using tasker. I will try to make a tasker profile for it,if possible. And also I will add the link to the video once I am allowed to.(I haven't crossed the 10posts limit yet)
The Following User Says Thank You to dddeepdc For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

marcelobrandt
Old
Thanks Meter 0
hey guys

i cant find 1-1 on my devices folder, only "usb1" and "1-0;1.0"

any thoughts? i have an xperia p running jellybean 4.1.2