Upgrading to Xperia S

Search This thread

DevilsArc

Dec 21, 2011
Sydney
Ok guys, sorry to post this here but there's no where else right now.
I am so excited about the Xperia S, it isn't funny!! The dual core processor and 1gb internal memory is huge and just what this phone needs!
Who else is excited about this phone, what could be the pros and cons against the Arc?
Let me know what you think,
CheerS D

Last edited:

Flo95

Oct 31, 2010
Not really excited.
Look at the "old" SGS II or newer Galaxy Note. They should beat the Xperia S. And no, I'm not a Sammy fanboy.
Dualcore, 1GB RAM. Xperia S isn't new.

Cons:
No sd card slot

Sent from my iPad 2 using Tapatalk

doomed151

Dec 5, 2009
Xperia S over arc:
- Higher resolution screen.
- Supposedly better camera + 1080p video.
- Dual-core processor.
- Big RAM.
- 32 GB internal memory.
- Design has that "wow" factor especially with that transparent glass in the middle and 3 LED lights in it.
Sony-Xperia-S-03.jpg

Xperia arc over S:
- Lighter.
- Thinner.
- More affordable.
- MicroSD card slot.

Things that matter me the most are the processor and high screen resolution. Mind you, I watch 4-5 hours of HD (720p/1080p) video content on my phone every day and not having to reencode them would be very helpful, so your needs will differ.

Not really excited.
Look at the "old" SGS II or newer Galaxy Note. They should beat the Xperia S. And no, I'm not a Sammy fanboy.
Dualcore, 1GB RAM. Xperia S isn't new.

Cons:
No sd card slot

I'd get the SGS II if it's not running TouchWiz. Currently I'm thinking of getting a Galaxy Nexus. Upgrading to Xperia S would yield me an equal-sized screen and Xperia ion's out of reach (since it's US only).

Last edited:

jason_jiang

Oct 17, 2011
Beijing
quite disappointed when heard that Xperia S has no microSD slot and changeable battery. i will hold my arc until another model moves me:D

Chewitt

Jun 8, 2010
Ok guys, sorry to post this here but there's no where else right now.
I am so excited about the Xperia S, it isn't funny!! The dual core processor and 1gb internal memory is huge and just what this phone needs!
Who else is excited about this phone, what could be the pros and cons against the Arc?
Let me know what you think,
CheerS D

upto 1.8GB for App Storage,
32GB Internal memory via eMM

people keep getting this wrong and before you ask how i know i used the phone at CES and its also plastered across the white paper available from the SE Dev World.

The Phone is great and i cant wait to get my own as soon as my rep drops its off.

ShyamSasi

Dec 10, 2010
CLASSIFIED
Why can't they just improve the battery .... Motorola Droid RAZR MAXX has 3300 mAh battery without affecting the size of the device ... I really wish Xperia S had that battery :(

mhyke13ph

Dec 17, 2010
Baguio City
Xperia S
-Bravia Engine
-4.3" 720x 1280(342ppi) Reality Display
-1.5Ghz Dual-core
-Adreno 220 GPU
-1GB Ram
-1.8GB Internal Memory(User Available)
-32GB eMMC(Embedded Memory)
-12MP Exmor-R with 1080p Video and Fast Capture
-1.3MP Front Camera with 720p Video
-Anti Stain Shell(Dirt Repellent and UV Active)
-Fast Charge Capability(Pro's of non replaceable battery)
-NFC, GLONASS, WIFI Direct, Gyro
-Android 4.0 Ice Cream Sandwich
-PlayStation Certified(It's getting some Traction now lots of PS1 Games and some PSP Games Available)
-Price is just Right
- Design has that "wow" factor especially with that transparent glass in the middle and 3 LED lights in it.

What stopping you from buying an Xperia S? No Micro SD card slot and a Replaceable Battery?

but for me I think that 32GB is Big enough for me, including the 1.8GB for the Apps to be installed, My Arc got 16GB and I have lots of HD Games and 720p Video's I still have 3GB free

and having a non replaceable battery is not all Cons ;)

I rarely remove my Battery and Micro SD Card, the only time I removed the Battery and Micro SD Card when i upgraded it to 16GB and Inserted my SIM

Last edited:

Flo95

Oct 31, 2010
I'd get the SGS II if it's not running TouchWiz. Currently I'm thinking of getting a Galaxy Nexus. Upgrading to Xperia S would yield me an equal-sized screen and Xperia ion's out of reach (since it's US only).
Stay with the Arc and make your ROM even better (if that's even possible ^^)

Sent from my LT15i using XDA Premium App

RockitOut11

Dec 28, 2010
i was planning to change my SE Xperia X8 with an SE Xperia Arc S, which is 300€ here in Portugal, but now i'm waiting for the Sony Xperia S

anyone knows how much it will cost? More or less? Estimative?

Sorry for my bad English

Flo95

Oct 31, 2010
Here you can preorder it for 449€

DevilsArc

Dec 21, 2011
Sydney
Hi guys thanks for your replies, by the way, in a girl :)
I am mostly excited for the internal memory upgrade, better battery and dual core processors. In all honesty my arc is laggy at times, the battery only lasts a day, and I'm tired of no front facing camera. These were the things that excited me the most, the design is nice too. Don't get me wrong I do love my arc, it just seems to be slow at times, I have no idea how to use custom roms for it either

abcdelse

Feb 14, 2011
When the device hangs and not restart itself.. i open the battery, if this happens to xperia s how to?

Sent from my LT15i using xda premium

Rycon33

Apr 28, 2011
Xiaomi Poco F3
I'll probably wait for the performance of Arc when it runs official ICS. If it's good enough for me then I guess I'll have to skip xperia s and stick with arc for a little longer until SE releases quad core and renew my data contact.

Sent from my LT15i using xda premium

Gambler_3

Oct 30, 2011
Micro-SIM is much worse than no card slot for me. Now sony is copying iphone pathetic there is no excuse for having micro-sim and non replaceable battery in a relatively thick phone.

Infact given the thickness of this phone there should have been bigger battery as well.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Xperia S
    -Bravia Engine
    -4.3" 720x 1280(342ppi) Reality Display
    -1.5Ghz Dual-core
    -Adreno 220 GPU
    -1GB Ram
    -1.8GB Internal Memory(User Available)
    -32GB eMMC(Embedded Memory)
    -12MP Exmor-R with 1080p Video and Fast Capture
    -1.3MP Front Camera with 720p Video
    -Anti Stain Shell(Dirt Repellent and UV Active)
    -Fast Charge Capability(Pro's of non replaceable battery)
    -NFC, GLONASS, WIFI Direct, Gyro
    -Android 4.0 Ice Cream Sandwich
    -PlayStation Certified(It's getting some Traction now lots of PS1 Games and some PSP Games Available)
    -Price is just Right

What stopping you from buying an Xperia S? No Micro SD card slot and a Replaceable Battery?

but for me I think that 32GB is Big enough for me, including the 1.8GB for the Apps to be installed, My Arc got 16GB and I have lots of HD Games and 720p Video's I still have 3GB free

and having a non replaceable battery is not all Cons ;)

I rarely remove my Battery and Micro SD Card, the only time I removed the Battery and Micro SD Card when i upgraded it to 16GB and Inserted my SIM
    mixed feelings

I got one demo unit from rep to test.

The speed is ok.
    Screen is vivid and DPI is ok again (used to have SEX1) and I even like the front design more than Arc. (The Arc is more beautiful from side and back)

But :) the S does not fit in your hand. The Arc "arc" magically holds the phone at the fingers - you don't have to use thumb to hold the phone.
    S "arc" is wrong way - the phone tends to slip away (although the surface is much less slippery than Arc one) and feels bulky. Not heavy though - but it somehow seems a lot bigger compared to Arc

Software is still 2.3.7 (kernel 2.6.35) so I could not test the ICS

Holding the power button ca 30 seconds made a hard reset

So I think I will stick to the Arc for a while. At least I will wait for the ICS – maybe the Arc gets magically faster :)
    Do you guys read before posting?

Holding the power button ca 30 seconds made a hard reset

Sent from my LT15i using XDA Premium App
    All those are speculations. Nothing has been confirmed.

These release dates are confirmed by SE (except for S & ion, those are speculations from the web).

and again read/search. :rolleyes:

Sent from my LT18i using xda premium
    what I'am worried about is, that it will be very simmilar to iPhone, which is not good :( it will be iPhone with Android. it's sad:(