Smile Maclaw Kitkat 4.4.2 for Xperia U; should I update?

OP bir00

15th January 2014, 05:54 PM   |  #1  
OP Junior Member
Thanks Meter: 0

4 posts
Hello... Currently I have an old old CM9 based rom installed, and I'm thinking of an upgrade. I've been reading development forums regulary and Kitkat roms seem pretty fast... Are all the basic things working on the latest Maclaw Kitkat 4.4.2 ROM? WiFi, and camera (for pictures, don't need video recording). And do I install the version on Maclaw site or can I get a newer better version, and where do I get it
Last edited by bir00; 15th January 2014 at 06:05 PM.
15th January 2014, 06:16 PM   |  #2  
Thanks Meter: 106

196 posts
More
@bir00

the holy grail in kitkat is the OMX (without that you can not use youtube), new maclaw fix it but don't share his sources to other developers, they have failed to advance.

according I read the latest version of maclaw have bugs with OMX, the bluetooth don't work properly, the wifi works well and the camera can only take pictures.

I used carbonRom version, is amazing,has OMX problems, but with a patch of gigitux you can see youtube in CM 11 or CarbonRom,is the best ROM I've used of kitkat.

the decision is yours.
Last edited by Kobalto07; 15th January 2014 at 06:24 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to Kobalto07 For This Useful Post: [ View ]
15th January 2014, 06:35 PM   |  #3  
Flag Mars
Thanks Meter: 876

2,241 posts
Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kobalto07

@bir00

the holy grail in kitkat is the OMX (without that you can not use youtube), new maclaw fix it but don't share his sources to other developers, they have failed to advance.

according I read the latest version of maclaw have bugs with OMX, the bluetooth don't work properly, the wifi works well and the camera can only take pictures.

I used carbonRom version, is amazing,has OMX problems, but with a patch of gigitux you can see youtube in CM 11 or CarbonRom,is the best ROM I've used of kitkat.

the decision is yours.

For me everything works,I even send picture via bluetooth but video Recording not working.

Sent from my Xperia U using Tapatalk
15th January 2014, 07:00 PM   |  #4  
Thanks Meter: 541

2,347 posts
Even installing apps on sd card is fixed?

Sent from my Xperia P using xda app-developers app
15th January 2014, 07:14 PM   |  #5  

196 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by IAmNice

Even installing apps on sd card is fixed?

Sent from my Xperia P using xda app-developers app

I don't have this problem in carbonRom, in CM 11 I don't know (Xu)

Enviado desde mi Xperia U mediante Tapatalk
Last edited by Kobalto07; 15th January 2014 at 07:19 PM.
15th January 2014, 07:44 PM   |  #6  
OP Junior Member

4 posts
So, the question should be Maclaw CM11 or CarbonRom? I will wait for more replies, it would be nice to see which ROM is the best for speed/stability. I'm assuming Kitkat is the way to go for Xperia U, cause of good memory management. And in my experience low RAM is the only hardware issue with my little phone
15th January 2014, 07:46 PM   |  #7  
Flag Maribor
Thanks Meter: 14

43 posts
@Kobalto07 I use CarbonRom but when I reboot my phone apps that are installed on sdcard disappear.

I think that CarbonRom has better RAM management but maybe this is because i do clean install. For me CarbonRom has same bugs as latest CM11 build from Maclaw.
Last edited by asd987; 15th January 2014 at 07:58 PM.
15th January 2014, 08:13 PM   |  #8  
Thanks Meter: 541

2,347 posts
Carbon rom should actually use just as much ram as cm. If not more. Since carbon has a lot of features that run in the background and might use more ram. Shouldn't be such a big issue and I don't expect it to use much more ram.
15th January 2014, 08:58 PM   |  #9  

196 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by asd987

@Kobalto07 I use CarbonRom but when I reboot my phone apps that are installed on sdcard disappear.

I think that CarbonRom has better RAM management but maybe this is because i do clean install. For me CarbonRom has same bugs as latest CM11 build from Maclaw.

the truth is that nobody can say about specifically because that happens and not others, in the official thread carbonRom have not seen anyone complain about it so far.

I can only tell you what I did

I did a full wipe, install the ROM with a user Goldrake1 Gapps that he shared in the CM 11 thread some time ago and finally put it in ART mode.

as hize not see anything special.

Quote:
Originally Posted by IAmNice

Carbon rom should actually use just as much ram as cm. If not more. Since carbon has a lot of features that run in the background and might use more ram. Shouldn't be such a big issue and I don't expect it to use much more ram.

all I can say is that for me, the performance of RAM is fine, actually I have the same performance in CM Ram 11 Mokee OpenSouce , but CarbonROM It has been the best result(for me ) for example, I've these results RAM in CarbonRom.

Edit.
@bir00 generally you will not find huge differences between CM 11 and CarbonROM. it is safer than the end you will select which considers more complete.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_2014-01-15-15-40-17.png
Views:	83
Size:	237.6 KB
ID:	2518180  
Last edited by Kobalto07; 15th January 2014 at 09:29 PM. Reason: Edit
The Following User Says Thank You to Kobalto07 For This Useful Post: [ View ]
21st January 2014, 03:27 AM   |  #10  

18 posts
I'm currently using hellkat's version of kitkat and it works better for me than the others, is fast, stable and the only bug that i've seen until now is that the speaker sound is kind of low, but still it's a very good rom

Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread