[Q] How can I access Mass Storage Mode on the Xperia S?

OP RoleX1

14th March 2012, 06:03 PM   |  #1  
OP Member
Thanks Meter: 3

71 posts
How do I connect the Sony Xperia S in Mass Storage Mode?
There must be a way? Media Transfer Protocol (MTP) mode is not ideal for transferring Photos and Videos (ironically) as it doesn't show you thumbnails for the Pictures and Videos on your phone. Neither can you stream the videos straight from the device this way..

You have to first click on the file and wait for it to load, just to find out its not the one you want, and repeat the arduous process all over again for the next Video, till you get to the one you wanted..

Please Help
The Following User Says Thank You to RoleX1 For This Useful Post: [ View ]
14th March 2012, 06:10 PM   |  #2  
Flag Liverpool U.K.
Thanks Meter: 236

807 posts
More
Download Sony PC companion there is an option in there to open the drive on your phone (storage)

Sent from my LT26i using xda premium
14th March 2012, 06:11 PM   |  #3  
Flag Mold, North Wales, UK
Thanks Meter: 37

407 posts
Donate to Me
More
MTP is the only mode that there is but there is a file manager in PC Companion software
14th March 2012, 06:28 PM   |  #4  
OP Member

71 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by eddyedwards007

Download Sony PC companion there is an option in there to open the drive on your phone (storage)

We can all open the storage on the device..windows does this by itself through autoplay when you connect the phone..

I'm talking specifically about mounting the storage with Full access privileges, as it would be if you plugged in a mass storage device (such as a hard drive).

All the previous Xperia range allowed this, and of what I know, most android devices allow this. This is a very fundamental feature required and expected of all phones these days. Your not exactly going to enjoy downloading a 3GB Video file only to find out that's not the one you were after..
14th March 2012, 06:32 PM   |  #5  
Recognized Developer
Flag Plainfield
Thanks Meter: 529

1,980 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by RoleX1

We can all open the storage on the device..windows does this by itself through autoplay when you connect the phone..

I'm talking specifically about mounting the storage with Full access privileges, as it would be if you plugged in a mass storage device (such as a hard drive).

All the previous Xperia range allowed this, and of what I know, most android devices allow this. This is a very fundamental feature required and expected of all phones these days. Your not exactly going to enjoy downloading a 3GB Video file only to find out that's not the one you were after..

It's also one that is going away with unified storage models. There are technical reasons behind this (as it's all one partition leveraging a fuse file system to mimic external storage) that it can't simply be "unmounted" from the OS side and mounted as external storage.
Last edited by krohnjw; 14th March 2012 at 06:42 PM.
15th March 2012, 12:58 AM   |  #6  
OP Member

71 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by krohnjw

It's also one that is going away with unified storage models. There are technical reasons behind this (as it's all one partition leveraging a fuse file system to mimic external storage) that it can't simply be "unmounted" from the OS side and mounted as external storage.

So the paying Consumers lose another round
vs Manufacturers and their cost cutting techniques..

Soon we will have phones that are nothing to do with what we want, they will be what's left after its attacked by a budget sheet. Zombies of the mobile world, where passion doesn't exist..

(lol got a bit carried away there, but you get the point) since when does something that's been demonstrated to be the more user friendly option (as demonstrated on the Galaxy s2 amongst other android handsets), get thrown out as if consumers are too stupid to notice that we are being put at a disadvantage?

oh well, welcome to the pathetic future, where what's in my pocket is what the account manager needed to get his bonus this year
Last edited by RoleX1; 15th March 2012 at 01:06 AM.
The Following User Says Thank You to RoleX1 For This Useful Post: [ View ]
15th March 2012, 01:19 AM   |  #7  
Recognized Developer
Flag Plainfield
Thanks Meter: 529

1,980 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by RoleX1

So the paying Consumers lose another round
vs Manufacturers and their cost cutting techniques..

Soon we will have phones that are nothing to do with what we want, they will be what's left after its attacked by a budget sheet. Zombies of the mobile world, where passion doesn't exist..

(lol got a bit carried away there, but you get the point) since when does something that's been demonstrated to be the more user friendly option (as demonstrated on the Galaxy s2 amongst other android handsets), get thrown out as if consumers are too stupid to notice that we are being put at a disadvantage?

oh well, welcome to the pathetic future, where what's in my pocket is what the account manager needed to get his bonus this year

It's more of a movement that does away with insufficient internal storage and allows the user to leverage available space however they see fit, but there is a tradeoff there.

15th March 2012, 09:16 AM   |  #8  
Flag Netherlands
Thanks Meter: 34

167 posts
More
I actually like the way it is now better. No more hassling around with too little storage for apps (HTC desire was horrible in that perspective). The built in memory is faster than SD cards. And mtp is working fine for most things.

Sent from my LT26i using XDA
17th March 2012, 09:53 PM   |  #9  
Flag Manchester
Thanks Meter: 1

6 posts
More
Unhappy
Yey - they do a pc companion... problem is, I'm using a mac...

So no way of copying photos from/to it using iPhoto.

On the plus side, at least the "Salling Media Sync" application I used to use to copy music to my Hero/Desire still works with this phone when plugged in by usb.
17th March 2012, 10:50 PM   |  #10  
Flag Langley BC
Thanks Meter: 4

41 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by atilaw

Yey - they do a pc companion... problem is, I'm using a mac...

So no way of copying photos from/to it using iPhoto.

On the plus side, at least the "Salling Media Sync" application I used to use to copy music to my Hero/Desire still works with this phone when plugged in by usb.

You can use Sony Bridge for Mac to sync your music to your iTunes and it will move photos to your phone from iPhoto. It will also do software upgrades as well and use it as a file manager for your files on your phone.

The Following User Says Thank You to Reds4ever For This Useful Post: [ View ]
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread