Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,738,692 Members 40,411 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

How can i extract ramdisk ?

Tip us?

evildev
Old
Thanks Meter 371

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrewasth View Post
It won't work. If you want just to extract use flashtool. Unpacking with 7-zip will destroy symlinks and packing again will never work. To use flashtool rename boot.img to boot.elf. Choose Tools>Extractors>Elf and choose your boot.elf file you renamed previously. Then press dump and close. It should be in the same folder with the boot.elf file. (boot.elf was always a renamed boot.img file ) BTW wrong section
I said that to OP and he gave me links to his zImage and image.
I don't possess great knowledge concerning android, but I wan't to help if someone is stuck, give instructions, etc. But to do someone else's work, well...

The Following User Says Thank You to evildev For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

Garcia98
Old
Thanks Meter 676

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrewasth View Post
It won't work. If you want just to extract use flashtool. Unpacking with 7-zip will destroy symlinks and packing again will never work. To use flashtool rename boot.img to boot.elf. Choose Tools>Extractors>Elf and choose your boot.elf file you renamed previously. Then press dump and close. It should be in the same folder with the boot.elf file. (boot.elf was always a renamed boot.img file ) BTW wrong section
I'm pretty sure that championswimmer's tool works, because I used it just a week ago to extract a kernel and it worked like a charm
However, Flashtool method is OK too

Sony Xperia U (ST25i)
ROM: XperiaSTE CM 11.0
Kernel: BraveKernel 3.0.101
Recovery: Team Win Recovery Project v2.7.0
Governor: INTERACTIVE
I/O Scheduler: SIOPLUS

Kernel 3.0.101: BraveKernel 3.0.101 for KK

Abhinav2
Old
Recognized Contributor / Themer
Thanks Meter 4438
Quote:
Originally Posted by Garcia98 View Post
I'm pretty sure that championswimmer's tool works, because I used it just a week ago to extract a kernel and it worked like a charm
However, Flashtool method is OK too
Nah, it doesn't. But we can use 7z e kernel.elf and then extract ramdisk from champ's kernel kitchen so it'll not break the symlinks.

Cheers,
AJ