Welcome to XDA

Search to go directly to your device's forum

Register an account

Unlock full posting privileges

Ask a question

No registration required
Post Reply

How can i extract ramdisk ?

OP gigitux

4th March 2014, 01:24 PM   |  #1  
gigitux's Avatar
OP Senior Member
Flag Napoli
Thanks Meter: 86
 
246 posts
Join Date:Joined: Oct 2012
More
Hello guys

I have a little problem.

I builded kernel, but i have got only image and Zimage.

How can i extract ramdisk (for mkbooimg) ? Thanks
4th March 2014, 01:42 PM   |  #2  
OmarEinea's Avatar
Recognized Developer
Flag Sharjah, UAE
Thanks Meter: 3,320
 
1,499 posts
Join Date:Joined: Aug 2012
Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by gigitux

Hello guys

I have a little problem.

I builded kernel, but i have got only image and Zimage.

How can i extract ramdisk (for mkbooimg) ? Thanks

I usually do that using dsixda's Android Kitchen
or I leave the zImage as it is, and flash it with some tools (flashable zip that already made to flash zImages)
4th March 2014, 02:22 PM   |  #3  
gigitux's Avatar
OP Senior Member
Flag Napoli
Thanks Meter: 86
 
246 posts
Join Date:Joined: Oct 2012
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by omarainea

I usually do that using dsixda's Android Kitchen
or I leave the zImage as it is, and flash it with some tools (flashable zip that already made to flash zImages)

I can't :'(

Please test this, it would kernel 3.1 :|

Image: http://www.mediafire.com/download/o9907fm1q7leq58/Image

Zimage: http://www.mediafire.com/download/g1...e64g344/zImage


Thanks
The Following User Says Thank You to gigitux For This Useful Post: [ View ]
4th March 2014, 02:52 PM   |  #4  
Abhinav2's Avatar
Recognized Contributor / Themer
Thanks Meter: 4,656
 
2,319 posts
Join Date:Joined: Jul 2012
More
Install p7zip-full package. Then the kernel from which you need ramdisk, just do this- 7z e kernel_name.elf
It'll give 3 files, 0(zImage), 1(Ramdisk), 2(cmdline).

Cheers,
AJ
4th March 2014, 03:05 PM   |  #5  
gigitux's Avatar
OP Senior Member
Flag Napoli
Thanks Meter: 86
 
246 posts
Join Date:Joined: Oct 2012
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Abhinav2

Install p7zip-full package. Then the kernel from which you need ramdisk, just do this- 7z e kernel_name.elf
It'll give 3 files, 0(zImage), 1(Ramdisk), 2(cmdline).

Cheers,
AJ

Yep, i try, but i have black screen when boot smarthphone.

Perhaps i do an error....
4th March 2014, 06:51 PM   |  #6  
evildev's Avatar
Senior Member
Flag Jagodina
Thanks Meter: 382
 
317 posts
Join Date:Joined: Jul 2013
Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by gigitux

Yep, i try, but i have black screen when boot smarthphone.

Perhaps i do an error....

As far as i know, tearing down kernel with 7zip (or similar) breaks symlinking. I've read that somewhere, don't remember where. Either way, it breaks something. You could unpack kernel.elf with Flashtool, it will give you image, ramdisk.gz, and maybe file called cert or 3 (it depends). If kernel is boot.img instead of kernel.elf, just rename it to kernel.elf.

if you need help on packing/repacking kernel or ramdisk, PM me, I will help you as much as I can.
4th March 2014, 06:59 PM   |  #7  
gigitux's Avatar
OP Senior Member
Flag Napoli
Thanks Meter: 86
 
246 posts
Join Date:Joined: Oct 2012
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by evildev

As far as i know, tearing down kernel with 7zip (or similar) breaks symlinking. I've read that somewhere, don't remember where. Either way, it breaks something. You could unpack kernel.elf with Flashtool, it will give you image, ramdisk.gz, and maybe file called cert or 3 (it depends). If kernel is boot.img instead of kernel.elf, just rename it to kernel.elf.

if you need help on packing/repacking kernel or ramdisk, PM me, I will help you as much as I can.

There are links for download Image and zImage.
4th March 2014, 07:09 PM   |  #8  
pipi14's Avatar
Senior Member
Flag Kuressaare
Thanks Meter: 1,004
 
999 posts
Join Date:Joined: Sep 2011
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by gigitux

Hello guys

I have a little problem.

I builded kernel, but i have got only image and Zimage.

How can i extract ramdisk (for mkbooimg) ? Thanks

Reported!
The Following User Says Thank You to pipi14 For This Useful Post: [ View ]
4th March 2014, 07:22 PM   |  #9  
Garcia98's Avatar
Senior Member
Flag Salamanca (Spain)
Thanks Meter: 927
 
917 posts
Join Date:Joined: Mar 2013
Donate to Me
More
This should be in Q&A section not in Development section! REPORTED!

Anyway, you can use championswimmer's Android Kernel Kitchen to extract your kernel for getting zImage, ramdisk and the contents of the ramdisk
4th March 2014, 07:29 PM   |  #10  
Senior Member
Flag Athens
Thanks Meter: 1,284
 
1,451 posts
Join Date:Joined: Jan 2013
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Garcia98

This should be in Q&A section not in Development section! REPORTED!

Anyway, you can use championswimmer's Android Kernel Kitchen to extract your kernel for getting zImage, ramdisk and the contents of the ramdisk

It won't work. If you want just to extract use flashtool. Unpacking with 7-zip will destroy symlinks and packing again will never work. To use flashtool rename boot.img to boot.elf. Choose Tools>Extractors>Elf and choose your boot.elf file you renamed previously. Then press dump and close. It should be in the same folder with the boot.elf file. (boot.elf was always a renamed boot.img file ) BTW wrong section

Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes