FORUMS

CloudPlayer: DIY HiFi Music Streaming Solution

In our Helpful Guide to Music Streaming Services, we mentioned several different services … more

Optimize Battery Life with This Useful App

Battery life is an important aspect of your smartphone, especially if you use it for more … more

The OnePlus 2 & The Year of Smartphone Compromises

We are very close to entering the last third of 2015, and we have now seen many of … more

OnePlus 2 Teardown, Major Android Vulnerability – XDA TV

The OnePlus 2 has been officially released. That and much more news is … more

[Q] Grey screen after flashing boot.img on sola

5 posts
Thanks Meter: 0

By lvivets, Junior Member on 23rd July 2014, 09:10 PM
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread Email Thread
Hi all,

I was frustrated with the performance of stock ROM on my xperia sola and tried to flash it with custom ROM (CyanogenMod 11). Something went wrong. And now I can't boot device This is my firts try, so probably I did something wrong during the process.

What I did
In general I followed this procedure and did not managed to get to their step 12.
Details:
1. At first I unlocked bootloader (using official Sony procedure)
2. Then I iInstalled RecoverX from Play.
3. Then rooted the device.
4. Then downloaded stable CyanogenMod 11 (cm11.0-0-pepper.zip), copied it to SD card. I've also extracted boot.img and flashed it using fastboot (with no errors).

The problem
After the steps above the device does not boot. I see "sony xperia ste" screen, then it disappears and screen is grey.
I've tried to enter the recovery mode (by holding volume down button), but the result is the same - grey screen.

What I tried (and it did not worked)
I'm still able to enter fastboot mode. So I tried the step 4. with latest nightly build (cm11.0-14-pepper.zip). I've flashed boot.img successfully, but the result is the same (grey screen).

Any ideas what can be done to reanimate the device?

Thanks in advance!
Last edited by lvivets; 23rd July 2014 at 09:15 PM. Reason: added general procedure I followed during flashing

25th July 2014, 08:30 AM |#2  
Flag Bielsko-Biala
Thanks Meter: 16

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by lvivets

Hi all,

I was frustrated with the performance of stock ROM on my xperia sola and tried to flash it with custom ROM (CyanogenMod 11). Something went wrong. And now I can't boot device This is my firts try, so probably I did something wrong during the process.

What I did
In general I followed this procedure and did not managed to get to their step 12.
Details:
1. At first I unlocked bootloader (using official Sony procedure)
2. Then I iInstalled RecoverX from Play.
3. Then rooted the device.
4. Then downloaded stable CyanogenMod 11 (cm11.0-0-pepper.zip), copied it to SD card. I've also extracted boot.img and flashed it using fastboot (with no errors).

The problem
After the steps above the device does not boot. I see "sony xperia ste" screen, then it disappears and screen is grey.
I've tried to enter the recovery mode (by holding volume down button), but the result is the same - grey screen.

What I tried (and it did not worked)
I'm still able to enter fastboot mode. So I tried the step 4. with latest nightly build (cm11.0-14-pepper.zip). I've flashed boot.img successfully, but the result is the same (grey screen).

Any ideas what can be done to reanimate the device?

Thanks in advance!

Maybe try to hold vol up while "Sony Xperia STE" showing up.
The Following User Says Thank You to Cwikla For This Useful Post: [ View ]
25th July 2014, 08:44 AM |#3  
OP Junior Member

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cwikla

Maybe try to hold vol up while "Sony Xperia STE" showing up.

Thanks for suggestion!
I've already tried it and it does not help
26th July 2014, 05:45 AM |#4  
Thanks Meter: 7

More
1) Have you unlocked the bootloader?

2) In the terminal could you try issuing a "reboot recovery" command?
OR
Hold the back button while booting..
26th July 2014, 02:16 PM |#5  
Thanks Meter: 1

More
Same problem
I have exactly the same problem, also with Cyanogenmod 11.
I'm not able to get in android or recovery, maybe there is a way to fix this in fastboot? (That's the only solution I can think of)
The Following User Says Thank You to stiffmah For This Useful Post: [ View ]
27th July 2014, 02:54 PM |#6  
OP Junior Member

More
Thanks for your suggestions!

Quote:
Originally Posted by rlvl

1) Have you unlocked the bootloader?

Yes!

Quote:

2) In the terminal could you try issuing a "reboot recovery" command?

Could you, please, provide more details when should I run this command?
This is not working with fastboot, and I don't know of other options.

Quote:

Hold the back button while booting..

Back is "software" button on sola. Nevertheless, I tried holding it but this did not helped.
28th July 2014, 10:32 AM |#7  
Thanks Meter: 7

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by lvivets

Thanks for your suggestions!

Yes!

Could you, please, provide more details when should I run this command?
This is not working with fastboot, and I don't know of other options.

Back is "software" button on sola. Nevertheless, I tried holding it but this did not helped.

In adb try the "reboot recovery" command
The Following User Says Thank You to rlvl For This Useful Post: [ View ]
28th July 2014, 09:03 PM |#8  
OP Junior Member

More
Quote:

In adb try the "reboot recovery" command

Unfortunatelly adb is not able to connect to the device. Probably that's because the device does not not reach "far enough" in boot process.
29th July 2014, 04:47 AM |#9  
Flag New Delhi
Thanks Meter: 14

More
Thumbs up Solution
What you've done wrong is to flash the boot image before the rom. As now the new boot images contain TWRP recovery, it loades after the rom is booted and the rom wont boot because of boot image mismatch. The solution is to use an older boot image which contains the CWM recovery which loads before the rom has even booted. Try THIS rom's boot image then flash the rom and then your new boot image.
HIt like if it helps
The Following User Says Thank You to INDIAN-MAfIA For This Useful Post: [ View ]
29th July 2014, 11:05 PM |#10  
OP Junior Member

More
Thumbs up Solved
Quote:
Originally Posted by INDIAN-MAfIA

What you've done wrong is to flash the boot image before the rom. As now the new boot images contain TWRP recovery, it loades after the rom is booted and the rom wont boot because of boot image mismatch. The solution is to use an older boot image which contains the CWM recovery which loads before the rom has even booted. Try THIS rom's boot image then flash the rom and then your new boot image.
HIt like if it helps

Thank you!
Using AOSX boot.img I was able to get into TWRP recovery. I did not flashed CM11 yet, it's late night right now here.

Another solution is to flash experimental v12 kernel (ensure your version of android matches it!). For me it was 4.0.
This solution was proposed by @pippoaacc here. So, all credits go to him. Also he was very nice to explain me more details regarding the solution (which were not obvious to me).
Using this one I'm able to boot my stock android and use it. However I can't flash any ROM doe to CWM recovery errors.

Anyway. There are at least 2 ways to resolve original problem (gray screen after flashing boot.img from CM11).
So, I believe this thead is solved.
Last edited by lvivets; 29th July 2014 at 11:12 PM. Reason: added credits to pippoaacc
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread