No registration required

Preinstalled screen protector?

OP technaudio

5th May 2012, 01:57 PM   |  #51  
Thanks Meter: 0

12 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xadious

For those who took the shatterproof screen off, does the plastic itself feel much different to a normal screen protector? Is it thicker, stronger, less flexible?

It looks like any other screen protector to me (haven't taken it off yet), so not sure how it's supposed to prevent the screen from shattering. Although, i've never had a phone screen shatter.

Is Sony the only company that puts on a sheet on like this? Wonder whether they're being generous or whether they do this because their screens are weak because they're making them thinner?

I took mine off, used only the glass for a few days. I actually wanted to keep it that way. My XS was a dust magnet before taking off the shatter proof sheet, the glass also feels a lot smoother and less sticky when navigating. But then my Nilkin case arrived, I put on the free screen protector included and I must say it feels pretty damn smooth.

Do have 2 annoying bubbles with a little bit of dust under them, which is mostly my fault. I ordered the Brando ultra clear screen protector because it's impossible to get these annoying bubbles away.

The Nilkin one which you get for free is way better than the original though, no more vacuum cleaning my pocket before i put my phone in. The default one is horrible if you don't like your phone all dusty, the only way for me to use it with the default one is to use a pull up pouch or something similar
6th May 2012, 06:12 AM   |  #52  
Thanks Meter: 24

97 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by nvidia17

I took mine off, used only the glass for a few days. I actually wanted to keep it that way. My XS was a dust magnet before taking off the shatter proof sheet, the glass also feels a lot smoother and less sticky when navigating. But then my Nilkin case arrived, I put on the free screen protector included and I must say it feels pretty damn smooth.

Do have 2 annoying bubbles with a little bit of dust under them, which is mostly my fault. I ordered the Brando ultra clear screen protector because it's impossible to get these annoying bubbles away.

The Nilkin one which you get for free is way better than the original though, no more vacuum cleaning my pocket before i put my phone in. The default one is horrible if you don't like your phone all dusty, the only way for me to use it with the default one is to use a pull up pouch or something similar

Does the "shatterproof" protector that was originally on the XPS look like an ordinary screen protector once you took it off? (as in flexibility and thickness). Just curious as i'm curious as to why they call it shatterproof when it sounds like any other plastic screen protector, only worse in that it is a dust magnet (keep having to wipe mine).
6th May 2012, 07:27 PM   |  #53  
Flag Victoria
Thanks Meter: 56

459 posts
More
It's about the same as the Nillkin protectors, but it looks like they adhered it to the screen with a very sticky, dry resin.
The amount of dust it attracts, as well as how easily it scratches however is just silly. They should either forgo it, or supply you with a protector out of the box.
7th May 2012, 05:49 AM   |  #54  

12 posts
Correct, you get the same quality as you get with the Nilkin screen protector. It's really not a quality amazingly thin screen protector, just a regular screen protector that is really hard to pull of and attracts dust like a magnet.

I suggest getting it off and putting a new screen protector on it if you don't like dust. You shouldn't worry about the glass being exposed, it's really hard to scratch, just make sure you don't wait too long putting another protector on it. Nothing is really scratch proof.

I wouldn't recommend anti glare matte screen protectors on this phone, messes up the quality. Ultra clear protectors are defo the way to go
9th May 2012, 03:28 PM   |  #55  

32 posts
i'm not too fussed with the stock screen protector, but i did notice a couple hairline scratches, i'm just worried this dry resin adhesive might be too difficult to remove or leave stubborn residue if i left it on for too long...
10th May 2012, 09:15 PM   |  #56  

4 posts
What if we put the extra protector and then decide to remove it off?will the original one come off along with it?
10th May 2012, 10:05 PM   |  #57  
Flag Sheffield
Thanks Meter: 1

15 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by rpedroso

sliding your finger up from the transparent strip to the soft keys works great. Really eliminates the hit or miss issue.

Sent from my Sony Tablet S using XDA

Superstar, that's ace and works spot on! I'd noticed, and was getting a bit annoyed, with the non-responsiveness of the 'buttons' but that's much better.

Plus, leaving the screen protector intact means I can give it a freshen up in a few months time when it inevitably starts to get a little tatty

---------- Post added at 09:05 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:55 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by RanMN

What if we put the extra protector and then decide to remove it off?will the original one come off along with it?

Ah, no, the thin one loose in the box didn't go anywhere near pulling off the already fitted one.

I was quite pleased to see Sony include an extra protector, but with the ready-fitted one attracting dust like mad I gave up with the optional one, managed to get finger prints all over it and chucked it away! I'll live with the thick one and deal with the dust I reckon!
11th May 2012, 08:42 AM   |  #58  
Thanks Meter: 1

14 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by RanMN

usually it should stay, because it is mounted very well. additional protectors mostly don't have such a strong adhesive glue. so just go on!
14th May 2012, 07:23 PM   |  #59  
Flag Victoria
Thanks Meter: 56

459 posts
More
For anyone considering replacing the stock screen protector.... DO IT!!
Even the basic Nillkin one that I got with the case is 10000 times better.
Less fingerprints, no dust, and feels much nicer. And no scratches.
14th May 2012, 07:55 PM   |  #60  
Thanks Meter: 766

1,745 posts
More
I will try get mine off someday, maybe after its scratched.

It does attract a lot of fingerprints and dust.

Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread