5,599,677 Members 44,931 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] Xperia P only boots once(wat?)[SOLVED!]

Tip us?

Goatshocker
Old
(Last edited by Goatshocker; 9th February 2014 at 05:03 AM.)
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 401
Default [Q] Xperia P only boots once(wat?)[SOLVED!]

Hey.
I have managed to get a really funny issue with, sadly, my moms Xperia P.

The P is running Nemesis kernel v6.3 and Honami MW v8, and of course unlocked BL, and have been working okay-ish(I cant say I particularly like the P).

Since its my mom's phone, and shes... well, not the youngest nor most tech-savvy person around, Ive done what I can to make it as 'user friendly' as possible.

But this time I mustve fked up badly...
Heres what I did: I was checking if I could get the AOSP incoming call screen in the same manner as the lock screen, so I tried renaming semcPhone.apk to something else, thinking the worst thing that could happen was a boot loop... Boy was I wrong...

Not only did the phone not start(no surprise there), but it even froze before the first "vibrate", making it impossible to enter recovery
Okay, no worries, I can still enter fastboot... So I went into fastboot and reflashed the boot - nope, still froze right away...
After much struggle to no avail, I tried a 'fastboot erase system' and lo' and behold! The stupid thing didnt freeze right away anymore and I could enter recovery!

Once In recovery I restored a backup I made a couple of weeks ago, and finally the phone started again! yay!
All is good then, right? .... nope...
Did a reboot, and it did the exact. same. thing. again. And I had to erase the system and restore the backup for the phone to boot again... wtf...

Okay, maybe erasing the system wasnt enough, right? So I did a factory reset, formatted system, data and cache, and went ahead of installing a fresh copy of Honami MW.......... Phone froze right away.... back to square 1...
Okay, so I repeated the process, but instead of installing a fresh MW, I restored the backup - phone booted fine Restarted the phone and back to square one again...
I tried installing a fresh copy a few more times, and it refused to boot each time. But restoring the backup boots the phone fine every time... whaaat?

The phone works perfectly fine once its booted, and I cant see anything wrong in the system at all, yet everytime I do a reboot it freezes right away and I have to erase system through fastboot(to get into recovery at all) and restore my ~2 week old backup. Its even enough to just do an "advanced restore" and chose system, leaving data and cache alone.

Ok so.. TL;DR: Phone freezes right away on first reboot, a fresh install of the ROM doesnt work - only restoring a backup do(it makes no sense!!)

I am completely out of ideas as to what can be the issue here... I have never experienced this kind of issue - especially not just by renaming "wrong" file(which gets restored during the reinstallation processes anyway)

Quick ADB Pusher v0.5 (discontinued)
--------------------------------------------------------------------
Phone(ancient junk): ZTE Blade some CM11 build
Tablet 7": Novo 7 Basic running stock HC 3.2.1
Tablet 10": ASUS Transformer TF101 16GB running Team EOS nightly (build 26)

Phone(new): HTC One S S4 running Dark Jelly S CM10 build23
Phone(junk): Xperia P running resurrection remix or Honami MW
Phone(Newest): Galaxy S4 Mini running slimKat
-----
ლ(ಠ益ಠლ) Y U NO THANK ME? ლ(ಠ益ಠლ)

Abhinav2
Old
Recognized Contributor / Themer
Thanks Meter 3716
Try flashing stock ftf completely and see if the issue persists(I guess it shouldn't)

Cheers,
AJ

There's a great team (Team BlueRidge) supporting us day and night selflessly. Please consider donating them

Goatshocker
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 401
Mm yes, flashing it back to stock ftf is the only thing I havent tried yet... But it still makes no sense. Why does it behave like this, regardless of complete wipes? And why is only a backup working, and not a clean install :s... My head's gonna explode over this >_<

-----

ChikeD
Old
Thanks Meter 429
Same here, have never been able to restore nandroid backup, always boots oince then its dead.

Goatshocker
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 401
Anyone else have any bright ideas? I havent tried stock ftf yet(dont have access to the phone yet ), but somehow I have my doubts it will work...

I get the feeling the phone fails to mount the various partitions upon boot, but when checking permissions everything is exactly as it should be. Obviously Ive tried running 'fix permissions' in CWM, but that only results in a "/bin/sh: fix_permissions not found" which I also noticed my ZTE Blade says(which works fine despite all the cruel experiments Ive done on it lol).

Ive also tried to do a fresh install of BB and SU, as well as the whole rooting process(even though the ROM is already rooted) to no avail. (edit: also reinstalled recovery several times...)

Anyway, is there any app that can do a fix_permissions? Might be worth a shot...

-----

XperianPro
Old
Thanks Meter 851

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goatshocker View Post
Anyone else have any bright ideas? I havent tried stock ftf yet(dont have access to the phone yet ), but somehow I have my doubts it will work...

I get the feeling the phone fails to mount the various partitions upon boot, but when checking permissions everything is exactly as it should be. Obviously Ive tried running 'fix permissions' in CWM, but that only results in a "/bin/sh: fix_permissions not found" which I also noticed my ZTE Blade says(which works fine despite all the cruel experiments Ive done on it lol).

Ive also tried to do a fresh install of BB and SU, as well as the whole rooting process(even though the ROM is already rooted) to no avail. (edit: also reinstalled recovery several times...)

Anyway, is there any app that can do a fix_permissions? Might be worth a shot...
Boot it wait 5-10 mins and then shut it down,do it again,and again until phone Boots needed to do it three times on Xperia U.
It only related to stock custom roms od 4.1.2.

Sent from my Xperia U using Tapatalk
XPERIA FAN
Xperia X8 (slow phone but good) > Xperia Live with Walkman (fastest but bad screen) > Xperia U (smooth as butter)
The Following User Says Thank You to XperianPro For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

Goatshocker
Old
(Last edited by Goatshocker; 9th February 2014 at 04:58 AM.)
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 401
Quote:
Originally Posted by XperianPro View Post
Boot it wait 5-10 mins and then shut it down,do it again,and again until phone Boots needed to do it three times on Xperia U.
It only related to stock custom roms od 4.1.2.

Sent from my Xperia U using Tapatalk

You mean boot it to where it freezes(right away) and wait 10mins, or boot into system and wait 10mins? If the first, I think Ive tried that a few times. Doesnt hurt to try again though...

Do you have to do this every boot or just once after a flash?

Still makes no sense why it just started doing this "out of the blue"(If we ignore the fact I renamed a file, cause I seriously doubt that that specific action could cause this issue).

Edit: Dude.... That **** actually worked! I didnt wait 10mins, but maybe 2-3... Forced shutdowned it and started it roughly 5 times, the 6th time it started! Im currently rebooting it all the time(3 times so far... 4 now lol.. ok 5..) and it has started every time!!

Thank you for your tip (I should make some more accounts so I can hit 'thanks' a few more times lol)

-----