[Q] Xperia S' screen problems

Search This thread

dachao

Oct 28, 2010
I wondered about the same thing since in past I never had issue with warranty issue so I asked the Sony rep in store and he exactly told me the same thing but I guess phones because the very same reason you mentioned are an exception for the time being.

How do you like that Tablet S? I may wait for the second generation.

It actually runs smother than the XS even with a weaker CPU/GPU. The screen is very nice as well. No complaints at all.
I would wait for the next gen. It should be out soon with a Tegra 3 processor.

http://www.xperiablog.net/2012/03/19/sony-prepping-tegra-3-ics-tablet-successor-to-tablet-s/

Nimche

Dec 5, 2008
San Diego, CA

noface1

Mar 19, 2012
My phone has yellow tint too after 18 days. I knew this issue before buying it but I belive in Sony's warranty policy . Now I disappointed with it

nickporwal

May 6, 2010
Guys i had HTC one X and that too had too many screen problems(flickering). I got the screen problems with the two replacements and then i switched to Xperia S.
But here also i am reading that people are having the screen problem. My phone batch is 12w12.............Just to check i checked the screen at 38C and 40C yesterday and found no yellow tint as of now........does this mean that my screen is fine or should i wait more and check?
Also i noticed that my handset come with screen guard already applied on the screen. I can see a very thin layer applied on the screen. Is this really a screen guard or one more layer of scratch proof glass sheet.

ARC X12

May 13, 2011
Why just cant sony just give us a batch number where the this problem would not exist anymore? I think that they still havent figured out how to solve the problem because if they do then the latest batch wouldnt have any problems anymore.

D

Deleted member 4605772

No yellow tint. Yet.

I didn't notice any yellow tint on a screen while the temperature of the phone was 42 degrees Celsius. However, phone is relatively new and I saw reports that yellow tint appeared after several days or so. I'll keep you updated.

Hello,

I got my hands on Xperia S which is 12W14. Checked this thread for a while and didn't notice that anyone has the phone from this batch. It's not my phone, but I'll stay with the person who got it over the weekend, so I can do deeper research if the phone is faulty or not. I guess the results would be really valuable to the community. ;)

However, I'm new to Android devices, so I'm not sure which is the best way to find out yellow tint. What I read so far, tint appears when phone gets hotter, so I'd be thankful if anyone could provide answers to these questions:

1. How to make the phone reach higher operating temperatures? I don't really have time to play with the phone, so some kind of test, app or something similar would be more useful.
2. How to check phone's temperature and from how many degrees yellow tint appears?
3. What kind of wallpaper makes yellow tint the most noticeable?

By the way, phone was bought yesterday, so far no tint, but phone wasn't stressed enough.

Jackmax32

Apr 26, 2011
I bought XPS on Friday..
I thought it was a new stock but yellow tint
issue is present..
Is it a software or hardware issue??
Some people who replaced their phones found
the same problem on the new unit as per xda.
So what should I do? Replace it or just use it
(Not a big problem now but it might get worse
overtime)?
Replacing it n getting thea new unit with same problem will be annoying.

dibdin

Mar 6, 2012
Kent
I bought XPS on Friday..
I thought it was a new stock but yellow tint
issue is present..
Is it a software or hardware issue??
Some people who replaced their phones found
the same problem on the new unit as per xda.
So what should I do? Replace it or just use it
(Not a big problem now but it might get worse
overtime)?
Replacing it n getting thea new unit with same problem will be annoying.

It's hardware related from all that I have heard and read. It's really down to you if you wish to send it off for it to be repaired/replaced. I had a replacement from Sony and suffering the same issue with this handset too. Hard to say if it will get worse over time or not.

Jackmax32

Apr 26, 2011
It's hardware related from all that I have heard and read. It's really down to you if you wish to send it off for it to be repaired/replaced. I had a replacement from Sony and suffering the same issue with this handset too. Hard to say if it will get worse over time or not.

Ok.. tnx..
I think I will use it for a month or so and then
replace it .. After a month new units with no
yellow tint issue might arrive in India..

Nimche

Dec 5, 2008
San Diego, CA
I have XPS 12w08 no yellow tint after many tests always no problem i have tested over 42° and some times 43° it seems no yellow tint for mine
sorry for my English

Then you might be the lucky one. Where did you buy the phone?

Most of infected ones are from Hong Kong 12W08 and then it gets to Europe. While I believe there are some that won't develop this issue but overtime like 2 to 3 weeks you should be able to see it. I didn't have it from day one but once it appeared it stayed and doesn't go away even with cool temperature.

yassine772001

Apr 19, 2012
Algiers
screen issue

Then you might be the lucky one. Where did you buy the phone?

Most of infected ones are from Hong Kong 12W08 and then it gets to Europe. While I believe there are some that won't develop this issue but overtime like 2 to 3 weeks you should be able to see it. I didn't have it from day one but once it appeared it stayed and doesn't go away even with cool temperature.
My phone is made in china from france but without warranty

Reactions: Nimche

tel033

Apr 4, 2012
I have XPS 12w08 no yellow tint after many tests always no problem i have tested over 42° and some times 43° it seems no yellow tint for mine
sorry for my English
Which store did you bought it?

Canada was Week 14 production. But they are locked to Rogers..

How is this? I mean each country have a particulary week production? which batch belongs to UK then?
Is 12w15 free of this issue ? cause sony said that they have already fixed the issue and this production week is one of the latest one.. :confused:

Nimche

Dec 5, 2008
San Diego, CA
Which store did you bought it?

How is this? I mean each country have a particulary week production? which batch belongs to UK then?
Is 12w15 free of this issue ? cause sony said that they have already fixed the issue and this production week is one of the latest one.. :confused:

I doubt it it really relates to Country (or some how does)
They are all Made in China. And for each region the weeks are the same but maybe production team differs since some of them have to load bloatware into the handsets. They should be different part of a factory to produce good for each region but week count the same.

Lets say the Weeks are universal for all regions. So maybe from Week 14 on they are all healthy?

Anyone with 12W14 that has yellow tint?

Reactions: tel033

Nimche

Dec 5, 2008
San Diego, CA
does it get worse with time? or you can live with it( as long as it isn't very noticeable)

Mine got worse in time that Yellow tint stays on forever on the upper right corner. I have put white background to see if in any condition it goes away. But so far no luck.

I am not even a heavy user of the phone. I rarely play games or anything crazy but only talking on the phone and take some photos.

tel033

Apr 4, 2012
I am not even a heavy user of the phone. I rarely play games or anything crazy but only talking on the phone and take some photos.
there are users who says that it appears to them with 45° or so, so i guest for them isn't annoying and hopefully it doesn't get worse
people in this and other forums says that it gets lesser with every batch

Nimche

Dec 5, 2008
San Diego, CA
there are users who says that it appears to them with 45° or so, so i guest for them isn't annoying and hopefully it doesn't get worse
people in this and other forums says that it gets lesser with every batch

It can't get lesser with every batch. Reason they may notice it that way is that in alot of phone like mine, it took some times to get developed. But they could be different in every region.

Problem is there and noticeable on a brand new phone. It shouldn't be that way.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Hey everyone,

I'm writing this info to help as asked by "alsaqr", very nice guy. :)

I bought the Rogers's version. I do not have the yellow tint problem. Here's the following information on the device.

The number is 6 for Touch Firmware
    The letters above the 12W14 are ABAE

I hope this helps. :)
    Good Job SONY!

Batch ACAC 12W22, Anyone else got this ? Hows your screen ?

All AC doesn't have yellow tint/screen issue. I can confirm it because I have ACAG, my phone is 3 weeks old and I'm playing HD games like MC3, N.O.V.A. 3, Sahdowgun etc.. to the point that my phone reaches (I think the hottest temperature) but no yellow tint/spots/screen issues. :good: thumbs up for SONY!
    Thanks , I have touch firmware number 6 , so i dont have to worry as you say. thanks again.

No problem glad to help you! You can hit thanks :)

nokia 3310 > sony ericsson t250i > nokia 5530 > htc wildfire > sony ericsson xperia play > sony xperia s
    And what about ACAE 12W23 , in black ?

Dial *#*#7378423#*#* go to service info > software info, if your touch firmware is 6 you don't have to worry. All AC versions including yours doesn't or will not have yellow spots ir tints.

nokia 3310 > sony ericsson t250i > nokia 5530 > htc wildfire > sony ericsson xperia play > sony xperia s
    Just wanted to let people in the US know that Global Mobiles have phones in stock through Amazon.com

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B007HHOEKG/ref=oh_details_o00_s00_i00

Those should be the new batch.