Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,742,696 Members 37,424 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] Xperia P battery not handling 3g connection well

Tip us?
 
Djgenes
Old
#1  
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 2
Posts: 37
Join Date: Jul 2013
Default [Q] Xperia P battery not handling 3g connection well

Hello, guys.
I'm about to smash my phone on the ground. Please, help me.
The problem: it just can't handle 3g connection anymore. Whenever I'm using 3g, the battery drops from like 70% straight to 30 something. In a couple of minutes, just like that. Then it drops to zero, the "shutting down" message appears and right before it turns itself off I can see the battery dropping up from zero to, let's say, 50%. Then I turn on my phone again and the battery is around 40%. I should make clear that using the phone offline or even connected through wifi the battery performs normally. It's only when on 3g mobile data. This was happening with my stock rom and continues to happen with this custom rom I use right now.
What is going on?


xperia P Currently enjoying Honami MW HD V6 (really amazing). The current Kernel version is 3.0.8+ BuildUser @ buildhost) )#1 SMP PREEMPT. Needless to say - but saying it anyway - , it's a LT22i 4.1.2 JB device.

Thank you.
 
TheSoleBulge
Old
#2  
TheSoleBulge's Avatar
Member
Thanks Meter 8
Posts: 32
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: Malmö
Quote:
Originally Posted by Djgenes View Post
Hello, guys.
I'm about to smash my phone on the ground. Please, help me.
The problem: it just can't handle 3g connection anymore. Whenever I'm using 3g, the battery drops from like 70% straight to 30 something. In a couple of minutes, just like that. Then it drops to zero, the "shutting down" message appears and right before it turns itself off I can see the battery dropping up from zero to, let's say, 50%. Then I turn on my phone again and the battery is around 40%. I should make clear that using the phone offline or even connected through wifi the battery performs normally. It's only when on 3g mobile data. This was happening with my stock rom and continues to happen with this custom rom I use right now.
What is going on?


xperia P Currently enjoying Honami MW HD V6 (really amazing). The current Kernel version is 3.0.8+ BuildUser @ buildhost) )#1 SMP PREEMPT. Needless to say - but saying it anyway - , it's a LT22i 4.1.2 JB device.

Thank you.
Hi,
I experienced the same issue a while ago. Thought it was a bug or something so I did a fresh, clean reinstall of the ROM and got rid of the problem Try using the latest build from @Pandemic, it's really great!
The Following User Says Thank You to TheSoleBulge For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]
 
Djgenes
Old
#3  
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 2
Posts: 37
Join Date: Jul 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSoleBulge View Post
Hi,
I experienced the same issue a while ago. Thought it was a bug or something so I did a fresh, clean reinstall of the ROM and got rid of the problem Try using the latest build from @Pandemic, it's really great!


I'll try that, sir. Hope it works. Thank you.
 
Djgenes
Old
#4  
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 2
Posts: 37
Join Date: Jul 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSoleBulge View Post
Hi,
I experienced the same issue a while ago. Thought it was a bug or something so I did a fresh, clean reinstall of the ROM and got rid of the problem Try using the latest build from @Pandemic, it's really great!






Hey, SoleBulge. I ended up reseting the phone back to the original rom/settings via SEUS. Is this somehow equivalent to a clean install? 'Cause if it is, the clean install you' ve suggested me maybe will not work. I'm facing the same 3g/massive battery drops issue. What do you think?
 
Pandemic
Old
#5  
Pandemic's Avatar
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 11059
Posts: 14,845
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: MePpEl

 
DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by Djgenes View Post
Hey, SoleBulge. I ended up reseting the phone back to the original rom/settings via SEUS. Is this somehow equivalent to a clean install? 'Cause if it is, the clean install you' ve suggested me maybe will not work. I'm facing the same 3g/massive battery drops issue. What do you think?
@Djgenes
If you already on JB 1.100 then root it and install cwm and follow the steps in the 2nd post of my rom !!

Sent From Cybertron With My Powerfull Xperia P



... My Projects & Work ...
 

... Latest ...
>> [XZ]MoonWalker SuperB V2 <<
>> [XZL]MoonWalker SuperB V2 <<
-----------------------
||> All My Work <||


The Following User Says Thank You to Pandemic For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]
 
Djgenes
Old
#6  
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 2
Posts: 37
Join Date: Jul 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pandemic View Post
@Djgenes
If you already on JB 1.100 then root it and install cwm and follow the steps in the 2nd post of my rom !!

Sent From Cybertron With My Powerfull Xperia P


Thanks, man. I will try it for sure. I'll let you know about the results.
 
Djgenes
Old
#7  
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 2
Posts: 37
Join Date: Jul 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pandemic View Post
@Djgenes
If you already on JB 1.100 then root it and install cwm and follow the steps in the 2nd post of my rom !!

Sent From Cybertron With My Powerfull Xperia P


Mr. Pandemic, I did what you told me to do. Unlocked the bootloader, rooted the phone, flashed the Nemesis 6.3 Kernel, Mounted system and data in cwm, Flashed Honami Moonwalker v8, did a Factory Reset, Wiped dalvik and cache, Rebooted, Let it settle like 10 minutes, Rebooted once again and voilį! I have a new phone thanks to you. Way faster and smoother than the previous one. Thanks again, sir, and if it reveals itself as stable as it seems, I will expre$$ my thank$ properly as you deserve.

Unfortunately, I am still facing the same problem mentioned before. My battery was at 70%, I turned on the 3g conection, googled some stuff, started to read an article while I was waiting at the supermarket line and it dropped from 70 directly to 56%. 1 minute later it dropped again to 43% and then to 29 (making the phone itself disable the 3g data traffic). I turned it on again and...you know the story: 29 to zero, android shutting down message and, before it all goes black, the battery status "drops up" again at the very last second to 40%. Then it finally shut down.
I don't think I can take it anymore.
=(
 
Pandemic
Old
#8  
Pandemic's Avatar
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 11059
Posts: 14,845
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: MePpEl

 
DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by Djgenes View Post
Mr. Pandemic, I did what you told me to do. Unlocked the bootloader, rooted the phone, flashed the Nemesis 6.3 Kernel, Mounted system and data in cwm, Flashed Honami Moonwalker v8, did a Factory Reset, Wiped dalvik and cache, Rebooted, Let it settle like 10 minutes, Rebooted once again and voilį! I have a new phone thanks to you. Way faster and smoother than the previous one. Thanks again, sir, and if it reveals itself as stable as it seems, I will expre$$ my thank$ properly as you deserve.

Unfortunately, I am still facing the same problem mentioned before. My battery was at 70%, I turned on the 3g conection, googled some stuff, started to read an article while I was waiting at the supermarket line and it dropped from 70 directly to 56%. 1 minute later it dropped again to 43% and then to 29 (making the phone itself disable the 3g data traffic). I turned it on again and...you know the story: 29 to zero, android shutting down message and, before it all goes black, the battery status "drops up" again at the very last second to 40%. Then it finally shut down.
I don't think I can take it anymore.
=(
@Djgenes
I never told to you to unlock your bootloader, my rom is also for locked bootloader !!
Well wipe battery stats and cwm recovery or calibrate your battery or change some governor like on hotplugx on noop
Great you like my rom so far!

Btw there is a Q/A thread by @AndroidNoob69
So ask your questions there !!!

Sent From Cybertron With My Powerfull Xperia P



... My Projects & Work ...
 

... Latest ...
>> [XZ]MoonWalker SuperB V2 <<
>> [XZL]MoonWalker SuperB V2 <<
-----------------------
||> All My Work <||


 
Djgenes
Old
#9  
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 2
Posts: 37
Join Date: Jul 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pandemic View Post
@Djgenes
If you already on JB 1.100 then root it and install cwm and follow the steps in the 2nd post of my rom !!

Sent From Cybertron With My Powerfull Xperia P
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pandemic View Post
@Djgenes
I never told to you to unlock your bootloader, my rom is also for locked bootloader !!
Well wipe battery stats and cwm recovery or calibrate your battery or change some governor like on hotplugx on noop
Great you like my rom so far!

Btw there is a Q/A thread by @AndroidNoob69
So ask your questions there !!!

Sent From Cybertron With My Powerfull Xperia P




My @Pandemic, thank you for your answer and time, but I feel I must make somethings clear here. I know what a noob is and I'm pretty sure I am one, but I don't think the problem/questions I bring here are "noob level", and I say this because of a couple or more reasons.

First of, I've already put the same issue description at a Q/A noob friendly thread and not a single expert answered it.

Second, as you can see, I decided to make my problem/question a thread and still not a single expert figured it out. I did what @TheSoleBulge told me do ("a fresh, clean reinstall of the ROM ") and nothing changed. I did what you, the Pandemic, told me to do and still nothing changed. Btw, when you say "follow the steps in the 2nd post of my rom" and in the 2nd post of your ROM I find both instructions for locked bootloader AND unlocked bootloader, as my bootloader is unlocked, I did, yes, something that you ALSO told people/me to do; I did not say you only told me to unlock the bootloader. Did not mean that. And I would bet a couple of dimes that some expert would say something like "hey, man. Unlock your bootloader, flash custom kernel and you'll be fine". No, I'm not fine.

Third, you tell me now to "wipe battery stats and cwm recovery or calibrate your battery or change some governor like on hotplugx on noop". What I already did was, after flashing/clean installing everything as you instructed, charge the phone completely, calibrate the battery by removing the batterystats.bin system file via "batterycalibration" app, let the phone fully discharge AND recharge without break. Did not mess with the governors yet, but before I try it I must ask you to please be kind enough to read my problem not as just some "battery drain" issue but as something more tricky and specific. Being offline my battery last forever. Connected through wifi it lasts just a little less. When on 3g, from fully charged to "shutting down device", it lasts 10 to 20 minutes, maximum. Do you think the *governors thing* (<--as I said, yes, I'm a noob) can solve this 3g/battery massive drops specific problem? Or you're just guessing? I searched here and outside and did not find similar situation. Found something about wakelocks and RILJ on other threads but I'm not sure if it's the right path to solve this or not. What do you think?
Thank you one more time.
 
TheSoleBulge
Old
#10  
TheSoleBulge's Avatar
Member
Thanks Meter 8
Posts: 32
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: Malmö
That was one detailed answer! Will take another look on this..

Sent from my Xperia P using xda app-developers app
Phone: Xperia P
Kernel: 3.0.101_slim
ROM: Slim-4.4.4.build.6.2

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes