FORUMS

Dr.Ketan Brings The S6 Theme Store To The Note 4

Dr.Ketan has submitted a video to the forums showing a functional port of the Galaxy S6 … more

Do You Have Insurance on Your Smartphone?

While affordable smartphones are becoming more available, the majority of high-end flagships … more

Apple Music Will Increase iTunes Match to 100,000 Songs

The battle for music streaming subscription dominance is starting to really heat … more

Xposed Framework Updated to v65

Xposed Framework is an extremely popular modification platform for Android, so much so that we included … more

[Q] Problem With Chat Requests In Notification Area

4 posts
Thanks Meter: 0
 
By Petebob, Junior Member on 19th August 2014, 04:00 PM
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread Email Thread
Hello all,

I've had my X8 for quite some time now and it is still basically stock SE. I have added some features like the dual touch plus removed Timescape and Facebook. Oddly though, when I check for updates via Android Market. Right at the bottom a Facebook icon remains but says "Free" to the right. Anyway I am having trouble with a constant chat request from a gmail.com address every time I connect to the internet.

Is there a way to permanently remove the chat request and if possible block further requests?

Regards
Pete
 
 
20th August 2014, 06:36 PM |#2  
stamatis's Avatar
Retired Forum Moderator
Flag stamatis∈A, A=∅
Thanks Meter: 1,106
 
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Petebob

Hello all,

I've had my X8 for quite some time now and it is still basically stock SE. I have added some features like the dual touch plus removed Timescape and Facebook. Oddly though, when I check for updates via Android Market. Right at the bottom a Facebook icon remains but says "Free" to the right. Anyway I am having trouble with a constant chat request from a gmail.com address every time I connect to the internet.

Is there a way to permanently remove the chat request and if possible block further requests?

Regards
Pete

Do you know what is causing the message? If you could provide a screenshot it would help to understand what is causing it...
Probably its something you have installed...
21st August 2014, 05:39 PM |#3  
OP Junior Member
Thanks Meter: 0
 
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by stamatis

Do you know what is causing the message? If you could provide a screenshot it would help to understand what is causing it...
Probably its something you have installed...

Shortly after connecting to the internet the icon appears in the top left corner (Pic1)

Once I drag the top bar down I get the chat request which is always the same address (Pic2)

Unsurprisingly, a quick Google with the address shows no results.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Pic1.png
Views:	2
Size:	21.7 KB
ID:	2906549   Click image for larger version

Name:	Pic2.png
Views:	7
Size:	25.1 KB
ID:	2906550  
21st August 2014, 07:14 PM |#4  
stamatis's Avatar
Retired Forum Moderator
Flag stamatis∈A, A=∅
Thanks Meter: 1,106
 
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Petebob

Shortly after connecting to the internet the icon appears in the top left corner (Pic1)

Once I drag the top bar down I get the chat request which is always the same address (Pic2)

Unsurprisingly, a quick Google with the address shows no results.

Thats not your email..?
What does the message says... "wants to be able to..."?

Never encountered something similar before, it could be from a simple email notification to malware....
21st August 2014, 10:37 PM |#5  
OP Junior Member
Thanks Meter: 0
 
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by stamatis

Thats not your email..?
What does the message says... "wants to be able to..."?

Never encountered something similar before, it could be from a simple email notification to malware....

Nope, it's not my email.

It scrolls across the top when it happens and says cboin60@gmail.com wants to be able to chat.

But when I pull the bar down and click on it, nothing happens.
22nd August 2014, 09:21 AM |#6  
stamatis's Avatar
Retired Forum Moderator
Flag stamatis∈A, A=∅
Thanks Meter: 1,106
 
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Petebob

Nope, it's not my email.

It scrolls across the top when it happens and says cboin60@gmail.com wants to be able to chat.

But when I pull the bar down and click on it, nothing happens.

Have you checked your email account for any notifications?
22nd August 2014, 12:26 PM |#7  
OP Junior Member
Thanks Meter: 0
 
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by stamatis

Have you checked your email account for any notifications?

When it first happened I thought maybe there was something, but I don't have anything apart from the odd spam email.

I think I disabled the Chat in gmail at that time, but I checked last night and there is still nothing.

It's rather puzzling.

(Additional)
After fiddling about I have found that if I disable "Background Data" then once connecting to the internet I no longer have the notification pop up.

So this must be due to an App that I've installed.

Would you be able to advise me on the best way to go about troubleshooting this?
Last edited by Petebob; 22nd August 2014 at 05:07 PM. Reason: Additional info needed adding rather than make another reply
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes