Android 5.0 Leaked for the Samsung Galaxy Note 3

Android Lollipop is still making its way to many new devices. Firmware updates have been … more

Learn to Sync Files Between Android And PC with Unison

Dropbox and similar cloud services are great if youre planning to keep your files … more

OnePlus Indian Ban Lifted, Android One Expanding – XDA TV

Android 5.0.1 Lollipop is available for the Nvidia SHIELD Tablet! That and … more

Nvidia and Robotics w/ Barrett Williams – XDA:DevCon 2014

Robotics continues to dominate our videos from this years XDA:DevCon 2014 in … more

Welcome to XDA

Search to go directly to your device's forum

Register an account

Unlock full posting privileges

Ask a question

No registration required

[Q] Problem With Chat Requests In Notification Area

OP Petebob

19th August 2014, 05:00 PM   |  #1  
OP Junior Member
Thanks Meter: 0

4 posts
Hello all,

I've had my X8 for quite some time now and it is still basically stock SE. I have added some features like the dual touch plus removed Timescape and Facebook. Oddly though, when I check for updates via Android Market. Right at the bottom a Facebook icon remains but says "Free" to the right. Anyway I am having trouble with a constant chat request from a gmail.com address every time I connect to the internet.

Is there a way to permanently remove the chat request and if possible block further requests?

Regards
Pete
20th August 2014, 07:36 PM   |  #2  
Retired Forum Moderator
Flag stamatis∈A, A=∅
Thanks Meter: 1,101

2,946 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Petebob

Hello all,

I've had my X8 for quite some time now and it is still basically stock SE. I have added some features like the dual touch plus removed Timescape and Facebook. Oddly though, when I check for updates via Android Market. Right at the bottom a Facebook icon remains but says "Free" to the right. Anyway I am having trouble with a constant chat request from a gmail.com address every time I connect to the internet.

Is there a way to permanently remove the chat request and if possible block further requests?

Regards
Pete

Do you know what is causing the message? If you could provide a screenshot it would help to understand what is causing it...
Probably its something you have installed...
21st August 2014, 06:39 PM   |  #3  
OP Junior Member

4 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by stamatis

Do you know what is causing the message? If you could provide a screenshot it would help to understand what is causing it...
Probably its something you have installed...

Shortly after connecting to the internet the icon appears in the top left corner (Pic1)

Once I drag the top bar down I get the chat request which is always the same address (Pic2)

Unsurprisingly, a quick Google with the address shows no results.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Pic1.png
Views:	2
Size:	21.7 KB
ID:	2906549   Click image for larger version

Name:	Pic2.png
Views:	7
Size:	25.1 KB
ID:	2906550  
21st August 2014, 08:14 PM   |  #4  
Retired Forum Moderator
Flag stamatis∈A, A=∅

2,946 posts
Quote:

Shortly after connecting to the internet the icon appears in the top left corner (Pic1)

Once I drag the top bar down I get the chat request which is always the same address (Pic2)

Unsurprisingly, a quick Google with the address shows no results.

Thats not your email..?
What does the message says... "wants to be able to..."?

Never encountered something similar before, it could be from a simple email notification to malware....
21st August 2014, 11:37 PM   |  #5  
OP Junior Member

4 posts
Quote:

Thats not your email..?
What does the message says... "wants to be able to..."?

Never encountered something similar before, it could be from a simple email notification to malware....

Nope, it's not my email.

It scrolls across the top when it happens and says cboin60@gmail.com wants to be able to chat.

But when I pull the bar down and click on it, nothing happens.
22nd August 2014, 10:21 AM   |  #6  
Retired Forum Moderator
Flag stamatis∈A, A=∅

2,946 posts
Quote:

Nope, it's not my email.

It scrolls across the top when it happens and says cboin60@gmail.com wants to be able to chat.

But when I pull the bar down and click on it, nothing happens.

Have you checked your email account for any notifications?
22nd August 2014, 01:26 PM   |  #7  
OP Junior Member

4 posts
Quote:

Have you checked your email account for any notifications?

When it first happened I thought maybe there was something, but I don't have anything apart from the odd spam email.

I think I disabled the Chat in gmail at that time, but I checked last night and there is still nothing.

It's rather puzzling.

(Additional)
After fiddling about I have found that if I disable "Background Data" then once connecting to the internet I no longer have the notification pop up.

So this must be due to an App that I've installed.

Would you be able to advise me on the best way to go about troubleshooting this?
Last edited by Petebob; 22nd August 2014 at 06:07 PM. Reason: Additional info needed adding rather than make another reply

Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread