Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,802,856 Members 41,615 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] Problem With Chat Requests In Notification Area

Tip us?

Petebob
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Default [Q] Problem With Chat Requests In Notification Area

Hello all,

I've had my X8 for quite some time now and it is still basically stock SE. I have added some features like the dual touch plus removed Timescape and Facebook. Oddly though, when I check for updates via Android Market. Right at the bottom a Facebook icon remains but says "Free" to the right. Anyway I am having trouble with a constant chat request from a gmail.com address every time I connect to the internet.

Is there a way to permanently remove the chat request and if possible block further requests?

Regards
Pete

stamatis
Old
Retired Forum Moderator
Thanks Meter 1,096
Quote:
Originally Posted by Petebob View Post
Hello all,

I've had my X8 for quite some time now and it is still basically stock SE. I have added some features like the dual touch plus removed Timescape and Facebook. Oddly though, when I check for updates via Android Market. Right at the bottom a Facebook icon remains but says "Free" to the right. Anyway I am having trouble with a constant chat request from a gmail.com address every time I connect to the internet.

Is there a way to permanently remove the chat request and if possible block further requests?

Regards
Pete
Do you know what is causing the message? If you could provide a screenshot it would help to understand what is causing it...
Probably its something you have installed...

Petebob
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by stamatis View Post
Do you know what is causing the message? If you could provide a screenshot it would help to understand what is causing it...
Probably its something you have installed...
Shortly after connecting to the internet the icon appears in the top left corner (Pic1)

Once I drag the top bar down I get the chat request which is always the same address (Pic2)

Unsurprisingly, a quick Google with the address shows no results.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Pic1.png
Views:	2
Size:	21.7 KB
ID:	2906549   Click image for larger version

Name:	Pic2.png
Views:	7
Size:	25.1 KB
ID:	2906550  

stamatis
Old
Retired Forum Moderator
Thanks Meter 1,096
Quote:
Shortly after connecting to the internet the icon appears in the top left corner (Pic1)

Once I drag the top bar down I get the chat request which is always the same address (Pic2)

Unsurprisingly, a quick Google with the address shows no results.
Thats not your email..?
What does the message says... "wants to be able to..."?

Never encountered something similar before, it could be from a simple email notification to malware....

Petebob
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Quote:
Thats not your email..?
What does the message says... "wants to be able to..."?

Never encountered something similar before, it could be from a simple email notification to malware....
Nope, it's not my email.

It scrolls across the top when it happens and says cboin60@gmail.com wants to be able to chat.

But when I pull the bar down and click on it, nothing happens.

stamatis
Old
Retired Forum Moderator
Thanks Meter 1,096
Quote:
Nope, it's not my email.

It scrolls across the top when it happens and says cboin60@gmail.com wants to be able to chat.

But when I pull the bar down and click on it, nothing happens.
Have you checked your email account for any notifications?

Petebob
Old
(Last edited by Petebob; 22nd August 2014 at 05:07 PM.) Reason: Additional info needed adding rather than make another reply
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Quote:
Have you checked your email account for any notifications?
When it first happened I thought maybe there was something, but I don't have anything apart from the odd spam email.

I think I disabled the Chat in gmail at that time, but I checked last night and there is still nothing.

It's rather puzzling.

(Additional)
After fiddling about I have found that if I disable "Background Data" then once connecting to the internet I no longer have the notification pop up.

So this must be due to an App that I've installed.

Would you be able to advise me on the best way to go about troubleshooting this?