Backup+ Lets You Backup Your App Data on Android Lollipop

Even though Android 5.0 Lollipop hasn’t yet seen its official release, quite … more

TechTalk Compiles All the Android News You Need in One App

If you’re as obsessed with mobile devices as the vast majority of our forum … more

Android App Review: Google Inbox to Improve Your Life – XDA TV

Recently, Google+ exploded with the announcement of Google Inbox, as … more

Damp the LG G3 Thermal Throttling

As our mobile devices grow thinner and more powerfulwith each passing generation, it’s inevitable … more

Android 5 for Ultra Z Google Play Edition

OP TravisBean

16th October 2014, 05:02 PM   |  #1  
OP Senior Member
Digital Domain
Thanks Meter: 120

3,470 posts
Post your thoughts on how this latest version of Android will make the Z Ultra a better device (or worse) ......................

http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817...ing_id=1051491

.................................................. .................................................. .........................
Last edited by TravisBean; 16th October 2014 at 05:07 PM.
16th October 2014, 05:54 PM   |  #2  
Flag corpus christi
Thanks Meter: 44

389 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by TravisBean

Post your thoughts on how this latest version of Android will make the Z Ultra a better device (or worse) ......................

http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817...ing_id=1051491

.................................................. .................................................. .........................

I don't know about run better, but it will be Sexy as f#ck on my white ultra.
16th October 2014, 06:53 PM   |  #3  
Thanks Meter: 19

62 posts
More
Nexus 6 has a 6 inch screen, and they also released the 9 inch tablet, so i hope they've adapted some new or old elements to the bigger screen sizes. Also, Material Design should be responsive, as in it'll resize properly to a device's screen size like a modern responsive website (like Droid-Life and The Verge).

Also, a video previewing the new Nexus tablet hit the web today, and it looks like Google will update the launcher soon. White floating app drawer (like a folder).

Edit: Mentioned video of the tablet.
Last edited by H. E. Pennypacker; 16th October 2014 at 06:55 PM.
17th October 2014, 03:11 AM   |  #4  
Thanks Meter: 4

128 posts
More
I just hope they improved the interface.

As it is now, the z ultra still has the interface of a device with a smaller screen size and all the parameters adjusted accordingly ( swipe sensitivity and related). This doesn't work well.
It's too small for a tablet and too big for one-handed operation... but so far there are only two general modes of operation in android: "phone" and "tablet".

Optimally, the z ultra (and related devices, in size) would use an appropriately adjusted UI, something not exactly like "phone" neither exactly "tablet"... sadly, i doubt there will be any development in that direction.

interesting tidbit: the z ultra processor scores higher 7z benchmark score than an amd k II neo processor...
17th October 2014, 05:27 PM   |  #5  

62 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by tsiros

As it is now, the z ultra still has the interface of a device with a smaller screen size and all the parameters adjusted accordingly ( swipe sensitivity and related). This doesn't work well.
It's too small for a tablet and too big for one-handed operation... but so far there are only two general modes of operation in android: "phone" and "tablet".

Optimally, the z ultra (and related devices, in size) would use an appropriately adjusted UI, something not exactly like "phone" neither exactly "tablet"... sadly, i doubt there will be any development in that direction.

interesting tidbit: the z ultra processor scores higher 7z benchmark score than an amd k II neo processor...

Since the Nexus 6 has a 6 inch screen, we can already tell how Lollipop will look and behave on the Ultra. We'll have to wait and see if Sony changes anything. I'm guessing the GPe version will run at 400 DPI like today's 4.4.4, while the official build will run at 320 DPI, making UI elements a little smaller.

I don't care though, since it's easily changeable with a tiny build.prop edit.
18th October 2014, 05:09 AM   |  #6  
Flag Claremont
Thanks Meter: 27

49 posts
More
I'm interested in seeing how the Flashlight quick settings button will function on the Z Ultra, since it doesn't have an LED flash. Hopefully Google will be smart about it and have it work like the Flashlight quick settings tile in PA and CM (Turn screen white and maximize brightness).
18th October 2014, 12:56 PM   |  #7  

62 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by ApertureAndroid

I'm interested in seeing how the Flashlight quick settings button will function on the Z Ultra, since it doesn't have an LED flash. Hopefully Google will be smart about it and have it work like the Flashlight quick settings tile in PA and CM (Turn screen white and maximize brightness).

Sony will add X-Reality and their DSP to the GPe build (like they did with the current build), and i'm guessing that they'll also remove unnecessary features, like the flashlight toggle, but we'll see when the time comes.
21st October 2014, 03:07 PM   |  #8  
Flag Berlin
Thanks Meter: 27

169 posts
More
Hopefully they switch to 320 dpi instead of that crappy 400 dpi in the current GPe ROM.

Sent from my Sony Xperia Z Ultra
23rd October 2014, 12:52 AM   |  #9  
Flag Brooklyn, NY
Thanks Meter: 264

1,815 posts
More
I am more interested in wifi calling because I have T-Mobile.
Yesterday, 01:34 PM   |  #10  
Thanks Meter: 42

420 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by tsiros

I dont want to silence your opinions but what you wrote was completely subjective.

Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread