Android 5 for Ultra Z Google Play Edition

Search This thread

doctahjeph

Jun 15, 2006
corpus christi
Post your thoughts on how this latest version of Android will make the Z Ultra a better device (or worse) ......................

http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2470422,00.asp?mailingID=AC913D3C61FEB18EA49B78DC15CCA2EC?mailing_id=1051491

.............................................................................................................................

I don't know about run better, but it will be Sexy as f#ck on my white ultra.

H. E. Pennypacker

Oct 1, 2014
Nexus 6 has a 6 inch screen, and they also released the 9 inch tablet, so i hope they've adapted some new or old elements to the bigger screen sizes. Also, Material Design should be responsive, as in it'll resize properly to a device's screen size like a modern responsive website (like Droid-Life and The Verge).

Also, a video previewing the new Nexus tablet hit the web today, and it looks like Google will update the launcher soon. White floating app drawer (like a folder).

Edit: Mentioned video of the tablet.

Last edited:

tsiros

Jan 13, 2006
I just hope they improved the interface.

As it is now, the z ultra still has the interface of a device with a smaller screen size and all the parameters adjusted accordingly ( swipe sensitivity and related). This doesn't work well.
It's too small for a tablet and too big for one-handed operation... but so far there are only two general modes of operation in android: "phone" and "tablet".

Optimally, the z ultra (and related devices, in size) would use an appropriately adjusted UI, something not exactly like "phone" neither exactly "tablet"... sadly, i doubt there will be any development in that direction.

interesting tidbit: the z ultra processor scores higher 7z benchmark score than an amd k II neo processor...

H. E. Pennypacker

Oct 1, 2014

As it is now, the z ultra still has the interface of a device with a smaller screen size and all the parameters adjusted accordingly ( swipe sensitivity and related). This doesn't work well.
It's too small for a tablet and too big for one-handed operation... but so far there are only two general modes of operation in android: "phone" and "tablet".

Optimally, the z ultra (and related devices, in size) would use an appropriately adjusted UI, something not exactly like "phone" neither exactly "tablet"... sadly, i doubt there will be any development in that direction.

interesting tidbit: the z ultra processor scores higher 7z benchmark score than an amd k II neo processor...

Since the Nexus 6 has a 6 inch screen, we can already tell how Lollipop will look and behave on the Ultra. We'll have to wait and see if Sony changes anything. I'm guessing the GPe version will run at 400 DPI like today's 4.4.4, while the official build will run at 320 DPI, making UI elements a little smaller.

I don't care though, since it's easily changeable with a tiny build.prop edit.

D

Deleted member 5450625

I'm interested in seeing how the Flashlight quick settings button will function on the Z Ultra, since it doesn't have an LED flash. Hopefully Google will be smart about it and have it work like the Flashlight quick settings tile in PA and CM (Turn screen white and maximize brightness).

H. E. Pennypacker

Oct 1, 2014
I'm interested in seeing how the Flashlight quick settings button will function on the Z Ultra, since it doesn't have an LED flash. Hopefully Google will be smart about it and have it work like the Flashlight quick settings tile in PA and CM (Turn screen white and maximize brightness).

Sony will add X-Reality and their DSP to the GPe build (like they did with the current build), and i'm guessing that they'll also remove unnecessary features, like the flashlight toggle, but we'll see when the time comes.

TimeTurn

Dec 5, 2010
Berlin
Hopefully they switch to 320 dpi instead of that crappy 400 dpi in the current GPe ROM.

Sent from my Sony Xperia Z Ultra

shadowcore

Apr 26, 2013
Hell
OnePlus 8T
Xiaomi Poco F3

I dont want to silence your opinions but what you wrote was completely subjective.

jaj324

May 17, 2012

This is why I bought the Xperia Z Ultra over the GPE. I read an excellent comparison and the author stated that he usually chooses the GPE version of a device over the non-GPE, but in the case of the ultra he preferred the non-gpe for the reason stated in this post. The vanilla ui does not take advantage of the large screen .

Reactions: megadp

Leechoonhwee

Apr 30, 2006
This is why I bought the Xperia Z Ultra over the GPE. I read an excellent comparison and the author stated that he usually chooses the GPE version of a device over the non-GPE, but in the case of the ultra he preferred the non-gpe for the reason stated in this post. The vanilla ui does not take advantage of the large screen .

That's also the same reason I got a non gpe device. Wouldn't it be the same or better when we flash a gpe rom and change to 240 dpi?

Sent from my C6833 using Tapatalk

jaj324

May 17, 2012
I don't know anything about DPI, i do know that the Sony UI is scaled to use the larger screen more efficiently.

jaj324

May 17, 2012
Yeah, that's not what most people would call easy. Easy is just buying the Xperia model with all the Sony bells and whistles. I disabled what i don't use and enjoy the rest. Did you know that the Xperia model actually outperformed the gpe model in performance benchmarks? Vanilla is more of a drag than the sony skin.

Last edited:

H. E. Pennypacker

Oct 1, 2014
Yeah, that's not what most people would call easy. Easy is just buying the Xperia model with all the Sony bells and whistles. I disabled what i don't use and enjoy the rest. Did you know that the Xperia model actually outperformed the gpe model in performance benchmarks? Vanilla is more of a drag than the sony skin.

It is easy and it literally takes 30 seconds once rooted. It is easy, but i take from your reply that it isn't the solution you're looking for, which is a different matter. If you want everything that Sony brings to the table, then the most logical thing would be to buy the Xperia model and not the GPe. Simple as that.

Regarding benchmarks, we have really no idea what's going on. The Ultra is not the only device that's reporting low numbers on KitKat (that's running AOSP, i.e stock Android), but i guess it all boils down to optimized drivers etc. You should not care about benchmarks. The GPe ROM actually runs better (smoother) than the stock Sony ROM even when it scores lower on Antutu. It actually scores the same or higher than the Sony version in other benchmarks (GPU benchmarks etc.)

TL;DR: Just buy the regular Ultra.

wooties

Apr 16, 2007
SLC, Utah
ryanhawley.com
My biggest concern with 5.0 is achieving root. There are a few apps that are must-haves for me that require it (arliberator for my car stereo is the #1). I'm not sure we'll get root soon or at all with 5.0. .. and that makes me a sad panda.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Yes, that was a joke and a parody of your typical loud mouthed teenage internet user, which I tried to emphasize with the oversized ETA and "can't even". You really dragged that out of me, and now I'm sad.

But enough stupid posts from me.

---------- Post added at 03:16 AM ---------- Previous post was at 03:15 AM ----------

Thanks!

Progress report:
    Build errors in display: hardware/qcom/display/msm8974/libgralloc/
    Have got one fixed, working on the other...
    aosp is syncing as I type.

I'll have a build started latter today (after work) and we'll see how far we get...
    I would have liked to post this comment to the development thread, but posting here to avoid cluttering it up. To everyone involved in building lollipop from source I would like to say how awesome it is to see everyone pulling together and sharing your knowledge. Even though this is a small community I have no regrets from choosing this device.
    When I have time I'll do a ZU build :)

Sent from my Xperia Z1 (AOSP) using XDA Free mobile app
    To those tryng to build from Sony's aosp tree, i managed to get it working last night with the following:
    Honami device and vendor tree, kernel built from the default branch of their 'kernel' repo.
    Radio and wlan dont work, but wlan can be fixed by pulling /etc/firmware/modem.* from a kitkat rom. Only other thing i noticed broken was the sensor hal, so no proximity, gyro, auto brightness etc.
    I also saw some errors about the NFC chip but didn't look into whether that works or not.
    If no one has made any progress I'll take a look at those things after work tonight.