FORUMS

Enable Multi-Window Mode on M Developer Preview

What was not mentioned in yeterday’s keynote was Android M’s multi-window … more

I/O Summary: Google Cardboard Virtual Reality

One year ago, Google introduced cardboard. Amazingly enough, that was all it took to fire … more

Android M Preview Images – XDA TV

Android M preview images are available. That and much more news is covered by Jordan when he … more

I/O Summary: How Android M Handles Power And Charging

In the spirit of improving the core Android experience, Google is changing Android … more

Finally, a rival to the XZU - the Huawei Mediapad X2

Thanks Meter: 60

By speculatrix, Senior Member on 1st March 2015, 04:14 PM
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread Email Thread

1st March 2015, 11:11 PM |#2  
Thanks Meter: 3

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by speculatrix

http://www.androidcentral.com/hands-huawei-mediapad-x2

1920x1200 7" display
LTE

This is lovely; I like it a lot.I wonder what the price will be though for each version?
2nd March 2015, 05:01 AM |#3  
Flag Utah
Thanks Meter: 926

More
Very interesting indeed!
I decided the Z3 tablet is a bit much for me as a phone but this one could be the one if it gets any dev behind it and a good screen of course.
2nd March 2015, 08:32 AM |#4  
OP Senior Member
Flag Cambridge

Donate to Me
More
Agreed about whether a hacker community forms around it.
Before I buy a device, I check XDA and Modaco to see whether anyone else is working on it.
2nd March 2015, 08:37 AM |#5  
OP Senior Member
Flag Cambridge

Donate to Me
More
Hmmm, the SoC used has a Mali GPU, but I don't know anything about the CPU

Mediapad X2 boasts an "ultra" octa-core, 64-bit Kirin 930 chipset clocked in at 2.0Ghz
2nd March 2015, 10:28 AM |#6  
Thanks Meter: 32

More
The development for Huawei are pathetic at best.. I have ascend mate 1 & 2. Benchmarks are ok but real life use is pretty laggy. I gave up on the company. Look at their flagship, the mate 7. It's out for a while but there's still no custom rom if I am not wrong..
2nd March 2015, 11:08 AM |#7  
Flag Hyderabad
Thanks Meter: 374

More
For me there is more to XZU than just the screen size, be it the extra sensitivity or the looks, on these grounds we should rather wait for the real successor sony is supposedly working on
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to tchsvy For This Useful Post: [ View ]
2nd March 2015, 02:05 PM |#8  
Thanks Meter: 32

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by tchsvy

For me there is more to XZU than just the screen size, be it the extra sensitivity or the looks, on these grounds we should rather wait for the real successor sony is supposedly working on

Agree
2nd March 2015, 05:02 PM |#9  
Flag New York
Thanks Meter: 325

More
I am open to other manufacturers working on 7-8 inch devices but in order to be a viable replacement, some things are necessary:

1. Snapdragon 810 or 820
2. 3-4 GB RAM
3. 32-128 GB internal storage
4. MicroSDXC slot
5. 6.5-8 inch display with 2K resolution or higher
6. Vanilla Android or a lightly skinned version (Sony or Motorola style)
7. Developer friendliness with decent ROM support
8. Adequate camera (12 MP is perfectly fine)
9. Support for an external camera module (DSC-QX10 et al)

It would be great with a keyboard flipcover accessory as well.

A device without microSD slot and a lack of ROMs would fail to replace the Ultra in a proper way. The same goes for heavily skinned Android implementations or a lack of hardware standardization (a lot of different ROM incompatible versions).

The Huawei MediaPad X2 could be a "replacement" provided decent ROM support and similar LTE bands as the Ultra but I am not sure about those things.

I am quite sure that a viable "replacement" to the Ultra will be either a Sony device or something from a Chinese manufacturer. I still hope for an Oppo or Xiaomi since I think it is those two companies that would be able to actually tick the boxes properly if Sony would let us down with a Z4 Ultra. Similar hardware as the new Z4 Tablet would be great.
2nd March 2015, 10:31 PM |#10  
Thanks Meter: 14

More
For me it's about manageability and think my Zu is just about manageable in the hand. I am aware others see it as a bit of a freak when they consider what's acceptable as their phone/daily driver but I like that it blurs the line of whats acceptable as a phone or tablet and I like that for me it's both...The Zu is my phone when I need to make calls text etc add to that the convenience of probably the best Web browsing experience on any device I have ever used with phone capability, decent battery, powerful innards, then let me at it-i say!!
Let the naysayers nay.

However the Huawei pad while spec wise is great it just seems to push that boundary of what I would consider manageable as a Phone.

I enjoy the tall slender ergonomics of the Zu but the Huawei just looks too wide and tablet-y for what I would consider manageable...I do like the smaller bezels tho
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Tags
huawei, mediapad
Previous Thread Next Thread