Cyngn, OnePlus, Micromax – The Legal Battle

Recently, a battle has been waging in India over the rights to distribute the commercial … more

Lean Mean Battery Power Saving App Review

We talk a lot about battery topics here at XDA TV. We talk about everything from Power Banks to USB … more

Android 5.1 Possibly Coming February 2015

Google released Android 5.0 just over a month ago, and since then Lollipop has been trying to … more

Double Tap to Wake on the Nexus 6 Without Root

A few weeks ago, we featured an app which allowed the Nexus 6 to regain the double tap to wake … more

Welcome to XDA

Search to go directly to your device's forum

Register an account

Unlock full posting privileges

Ask a question

No registration required

[Q] Removing Root to do OTA Lolipop?

OP jeraldjunkmail

13th December 2014, 12:01 AM   |  #1  
OP Member
Thanks Meter: 1

31 posts
More
As per the title, I read something somewhere to the effect that from here on out, OTA updates will fail on most phones if they have been rooted, and this seems to be true for the Z Ultra GPE. So, what changed when I rooted my phone, and how do I undo it so that I can do the OTA update? I have looked through the forum, but nobody seems to answer it. I am rooted with Supersu using the Towelroot method. I am hoping to not have to unlock the bootloader or anything, just want to do this the official way. (I did backup my TA partition though).
13th December 2014, 03:31 AM   |  #2  
Flag Oklahoma City
Thanks Meter: 345

635 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeraldjunkmail

As per the title, I read something somewhere to the effect that from here on out, OTA updates will fail on most phones if they have been rooted, and this seems to be true for the Z Ultra GPE. So, what changed when I rooted my phone, and how do I undo it so that I can do the OTA update? I have looked through the forum, but nobody seems to answer it. I am rooted with Supersu using the Towelroot method. I am hoping to not have to unlock the bootloader or anything, just want to do this the official way. (I did backup my TA partition though).

If your GPe is rooted only, the OTA should install just fine. If you made any system changes, you'll need to revert those though. I ran the OTA while I was rooted and didn't have any problems.
13th December 2014, 04:19 AM   |  #3  
OP Member

31 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Visa Declined

If your GPe is rooted only, the OTA should install just fine. If you made any system changes, you'll need to revert those though. I ran the OTA while I was rooted and didn't have any problems.

Not so. See:

http://bgr.com/2014/11/14/android-5-...ates-and-root/

As mine is rooted, no dice, the OTA fails. So, how to unroot it so that the update takes?
13th December 2014, 04:43 AM   |  #4  
Flag Te Awamutu, New Zealand
Thanks Meter: 1,516

3,179 posts
Donate to Me
More
Quote:

Not so. See:

As mine is rooted, no dice, the OTA fails. So, how to unroot it so that the update takes?

well at the moment that doesn't effect the GPe, and may never. There will have to be a system image flashed to put the block device in a known state before the new way could ever be used, and if there is a system.img we can always flash that to get the OTA to work... no big deal I don't think.
13th December 2014, 04:46 AM   |  #5  
Flag Oklahoma City

635 posts
Quote:

Not so. See:

First of all, BGR is a garbage site, and I wouldn't believe anything they say, ever. Second, that article is talking about avoiding root AFTER Lollipop is installed.

Having root will not cause the OTA to fail. If your OTA is failing, it's because you made a system change on your device.

*edit

If you were using Xposed, then that is more than likely why your OTA is failing.
Last edited by Visa Declined; 13th December 2014 at 04:50 AM.
13th December 2014, 05:14 AM   |  #6  
OP Member

31 posts
More
What is Xposed? How would I check to see if it has affected my device? Only thing I did was Towelroot and running SuperSU. I may have done something to allow writing to the external SD card, but forget how I did that. I was intentionally trying to keep this phone basically stock so that it would easily update to Lolipop. I did a Titanium backup to the externalSD card and reset it to factory and the OTA update still fails though. I assume this was due to the fact that I rooted it. The bootloader is still unmodified, secureboot is still green - yes, lock state is locked. Only other thing I can think of is I installed an app that allowed me to set permissions by app (turn off location settings by app, etc) Sorry I can't give any more details than that...
Last edited by jeraldjunkmail; 13th December 2014 at 05:18 AM.
13th December 2014, 08:47 PM   |  #7  
Flag Oklahoma City

635 posts
Quote:

I may have done something to allow writing to the external SD card, but forget how I did that.

Quote:

Only other thing I can think of is I installed an app that allowed me to set permissions by app (turn off location settings by app, etc) Sorry I can't give any more details than that...

If you can't figure out what system change you made to your phone, just factory reset it, and run the OTA again. There was multiple people(me included) that took the OTA successfully, our phones were rooted and SuperSU was installed.
13th December 2014, 09:25 PM   |  #8  
OP Member

31 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Visa Declined

If you can't figure out what system change you made to your phone, just factory reset it, and run the OTA again. There was multiple people(me included) that took the OTA successfully, our phones were rooted and SuperSU was installed.

As mentioned before, I factory reset this and wiped the cache from the stock recovery mode. Update won't take, stops shortly after it fails with "system update error". Since my last reset (been done a few times) it won't prompt me to get the OTA update, after my last reset last night. Any help is appreciated. Thanks!

{Damn thing won't work... (*&^&%^$$#}
14th December 2014, 01:27 AM   |  #9  
Flag Te Awamutu, New Zealand
Thanks Meter: 1,516

3,179 posts
Donate to Me
More
Quote:

As mentioned before, I factory reset this and wiped the cache from the stock recovery mode. Update won't take, stops shortly after it fails with "system update error". Since my last reset (been done a few times) it won't prompt me to get the OTA update, after my last reset last night. Any help is appreciated. Thanks!

{Damn thing won't work... (*&^&%^$$#}

The only fail-safe way I can see is to:
root
back up TA
unlock BL
hotboot custom kernel with recovery
flash 4.4.2
OTA to 4.4.3
OTA to 4.4.4
root and restore TA if you want a working camera
OTA to 5.0

Post Reply Subscribe to Thread