Ask a question

No registration required

Who needs a screen protector? Make stock glass oleophobic

OP bchaney16

13th October 2014, 04:37 AM   |  #1  
OP Member
Thanks Meter: 4

42 posts
I took off my stock screen protector a while ago and installed a tempered glass screen protector since the stock glass has no oleophobic coating and feels a little sticky. Well my screen protector chipped so I removed it and applied a coat of rain x. It feels great! Still slightly more sticky than gorilla glass but much better than the stock glass. I applied some to the back glass too just for protection under my case. The glass is more shiny and attracts fingerprints less. Any fingerprints are wiped off easier. I highly recommend using rain x instead of a screen protector after removing the stock layer. Now I'm pissed that I spent so much on those stupid screen protectors that are hard to apply perfectly and chip/crack after a few months.
Last edited by bchaney16; 13th October 2014 at 04:41 AM.
The Following User Says Thank You to bchaney16 For This Useful Post: [ View ]
13th October 2014, 11:22 AM   |  #2  
Thanks Meter: 127

559 posts
More
..exactly what tempered screen protector did you buy? You have a link?
13th October 2014, 07:18 PM   |  #3  
Thanks Meter: 11

233 posts
Great idea!!
Might use this on my new mobile phone, as I am looking to upgrade to this model.

Sent from my C2104 using XDA Free mobile app
13th October 2014, 08:05 PM   |  #4  
OP Member
Thanks Meter: 4

42 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SÜPERUSER

..exactly what tempered screen protector did you buy? You have a link?

I started with the one everyone on here recommends, m-glass. I got some crap under the front glass so I ordered the explosion proof front protector off amazon. The front protector chipped near the microphone after a few months and when I removed my case I noticed the m-glass back had cracked. The glass protectors feel nice but are too expensive and not durable imo.
13th October 2014, 08:22 PM   |  #5  
Thanks Meter: 127

559 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by bchaney16

I started with the one everyone on here recommends, m-glass. I got some crap under the front glass so I ordered the explosion proof front protector off amazon. The front protector chipped near the microphone after a few months and when I removed my case I noticed the m-glass back had cracked. The glass protectors feel nice but are too expensive and not durable imo.

...okay..... there is not much details to judge if either you handled the product wrong or if its a design fault

Myself I have the mocolo instead http://glass4m.com/collections/sony/...or-sony-xperia

Before and still I have coated my glass with http://gtechniq.com/shop/3s-for-cars...on-screen-kit/
3rd December 2014, 08:03 PM   |  #6  

233 posts
Think of getting illumishield screen protectors front and back 🔙 to preserve mobile 📱 Phone .

Sent from my C6806 using XDA Free mobile app
4th December 2014, 01:49 AM   |  #7  
Thanks Meter: 45

156 posts
More
I've had my mglass since I got the phone when I bought it back in Feb, zero issues, no scratches either

Sent from my Xperia Z Ultra using Tapatalk
15th December 2014, 11:46 PM   |  #8  

233 posts
Just put illumishield screen protectors front and back on my Z Ultra, looks good, except for detritus and bubbles underneath.
And I put them over the screen, without taking off the film.
Screen is very responsive, so impressed.

Sent from my C6806 using XDA Free mobile app
Last edited by frothe3; 16th December 2014 at 06:06 PM.
16th December 2014, 03:24 PM   |  #9  
Flag Toronto
Thanks Meter: 10

49 posts
More
Not sure if you want to be in regular contact with those chemicals: http://goo.gl/yLmN1d
Known eye irritant.
May want to consider something less toxic like http://goo.gl/le5xtW if you want to go down this road.

The Following User Says Thank You to unidentifier For This Useful Post: [ View ]
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread