Sony Xperia Z Ultra ASF Removal (with images)
After reading several threads on ASF subject, and having a lot of scratches on it, I've decided to remove it :)
The back was easy, and I have remove it few weeks ago.
For the front I have waited for new screen protector to arrive.
It's a Mocolo ordered form m glass:
The actual screen protectors:
Without putting it on, it does not feels like....glass. Not sure about quality either, a lot of fingerprints on it.
Onto the main topic now:
- The entire operation took almost 1-2 hrs from the first picture to the last (2 hrs if we count the unboxing and phpoto shooting).
- The removal itself was rather quick.
- I have used Refined Alcohol of 96% purity (not sure the term is in proper English)
- I have used a kind of a clay modeling scalpel/knife (not very sharp).
- The first corner was a little damaged, but then it worked like a charm. One small issue on the opposite corner, bit no issues at the end.
- The removal of the glue was at fist hard, but 10 paper towels and few alcohol drops later, all was ok.
And the pictures:
- The knife, the bottle and XZU:
- First corner (picture taken at 8.48 PM):
- and the rest:
Here goes the logo :(
- small issue with the foil getting broken at the opposite corner:
- Done! All in one piece (last picture taken at 8:59 PM):
- I was almost scared when I saw this on the camera LCD:
- ... solved by cleansing the camera lens :D:
- my camera decided to flash...
What went bad:
- Don't do it on you living room and on your expensive wooden table:(
What will be the issue:
I believe that with the screen protectors on will not fit into the charging doc:
Maybe using the larger "slot" (that was supposed to work with the case):
not sure if that is the narrow or the large one - I forgot:(
PS: what was broken on the phone so far (some corners when dropped on concrete floor as we can se above) and the seal for the USB cover. This despite the fact that overnight is charged using the docking:
Ordered some but didn't arrive yet...
PS2: let me show off all my Sony accessories (to date):
Any questions, please let me know. I hope it helped to decide if its worth's doing it or not.
I would recommend doing this to anyone annoyed by the ASF scratches (that I have from day one!), even if is to be done with a kitchen knife. I bet some other types of alcohol will do as well to ease the process;)
Not sure about the screen protector thow. Should I use it, or not?
It will make the docking kinda useless.