Ask a question

No registration required

Should I get a Z2 or the Z Ultra?

OP ssnova

24th November 2014, 05:55 AM   |  #1  
OP Member
Thanks Meter: 0

72 posts
I'm well aware of the specs and I have been wanting to get a Z ultra for quite some time but I have waited until now.

Hands down, I like the bigger screen on the Z Ultra and the price of it makes it even more enticing. Where as the Z2 has faster/newer internals(CPU, etc.), better camera, and a flash(I'm so annoyed by the ZU not having a flash! I used the led flash as a flashlight all the time), but at a more expensive price.

What's your guys' take on it? Waiting is kind of out of the question(I heard about the Z3X which sounds like my next phone after this one... I don't like paying premiums for new releases)... I prefer something stable and working decently out of the box(I know, this is xda).

Key points:

Z Ultra:
+Price is lower
+Bigger screen
-slower
-worse camera, no flash

Z2:
+Faster/updated internals
+better camera
-costs more

Also, I heard there was a decent note taking app from Sony for the Z Ultra, where you could use a stylus and take notes(sort of like the Samsung Galaxy Note series), is that app available for the Z2 as well(anyone happen to know?)?

Thanks in advance, I appreciate any input. What's your take on it? I think I could go either way, I hear about lag on both units(I'm sure rooting can help, but I might keep it simple for now and use it out of the box for rooting/modding).
Last edited by ssnova; 24th November 2014 at 05:15 PM.
25th November 2014, 03:54 AM   |  #2  
Flag New York
Thanks Meter: 241

862 posts
More
I happens to have a Z2 here (it is not mine but I got the responsibility to configure it) and all I can say is that it is a great device BUT wouldn't dream about replacing my Ultra. My Ultra is very smooth (CandyKat at the moment with GreatDevs V1 and OC to 2.46 GHz) and the only benefit I can see with the Z2 is more or less the camera when I make the comparison.

I am not talking down the Z2 when I say this but the Ultra offer a great package with a screen that make it a tablet replacement. The Z2 on the other hand is a great device for a person that has a Z today (which I also have) and I would recommend it warmly... if there wasn't an Ultra in the house (or rather two).

Since I read a lot and browse the Internet and so forth, the big screen of the Ultra wins me over - hands down.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to E90 Commie For This Useful Post: [ View ]
25th November 2014, 07:49 PM   |  #3  
Thanks Meter: 2

18 posts
More
camera camera camera. if you want to take even one photo then z2. i own a ultra as a backup to my note 4. the camera on the ultra is really just sad. but everything else is great.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to pushcush1983 For This Useful Post: [ View ]
26th November 2014, 06:36 AM   |  #4  
Flag Te Awamutu, New Zealand
Thanks Meter: 1,535

3,208 posts
Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by pushcush1983

camera camera camera. if you want to take even one photo then z2. i own a ultra as a backup to my note 4. the camera on the ultra is really just sad. but everything else is great.

The camera is poor in poor light but otherwise is not that bad other than over sharpining of the jpg
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to blueether For This Useful Post: [ View ]
27th November 2014, 08:27 PM   |  #5  
Flag Regensburg
Thanks Meter: 30

68 posts
a buddy of mine has the z2...
i bought a z ultra like 2 weeks ago since its even cheaper than the original z

he saw it today and now he wants to replace his z2 with an z ultra
he doesn't use the camera and also he doesnt game much
camera would be my only concern though
also the led flash, if you just wanna have a flashlight, you can the big screen, its decent enough for finding your stuff in the dark

cant talk about hickups since i dont run stock (and never will / or did)
both phones seem blazing fast to me, i really dont think the performance of the z2 is much better
my last phones were a htc magic and galaxy s-plus, just so u know

also i have to say, since i got the ultra, i don't want to use any smaller phone anymore.. they seem so small and bad to use
The Following User Says Thank You to alia5 For This Useful Post: [ View ]
29th November 2014, 06:34 AM   |  #6  
OP Member

72 posts
Thanks to everyone who responded!

Helps a lot. It seems like the more I hear from Z Ultra users, the more I hear about how they love the device despite it's shortcomings(ie: camera and no flash).

I agree, once you behold such a big screen it's hard to go back!

How is battery life? And just to throw it out there, what are some of the custom roms you guys recommend that may improve the battery life/performance?

I was slightly concerned that the slower cpu/gpu might affect performance, and I was going to try to avoid custom roms for the sake of simplicity, but haha, it seems to be unavoidable with most devices I get.
29th November 2014, 05:36 PM   |  #7  
Outer Space
Thanks Meter: 71

488 posts
More
You can slash "Slower" right away. If you care about games, the Z ultra is better desipite having an Older SoC, simply because of its Size.
Besides, even in stock rom, I experience no lags, even with the stock launcher, im in 4.4.4.

Get the Z2 If you want relatively smaller phone, 5 coll isnt really "Small" but compared to the Z ultra, it is.
The camera in the Z2 is also better and has flash LEd.

You should ask yourself, do you want a one handed phone thats fairly recent and a good camera or a 2 handed one, which is amaizing for multi media and reading.
Considering the price of the ZU, you get a premium phone for an amaizing price, just dont treat this phone as a normal phone, it might not fit in the pockets.

I love my ZU.
Last edited by shadowcore; 29th November 2014 at 05:42 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to shadowcore For This Useful Post: [ View ]
Yesterday, 08:38 PM   |  #8  
OP Member

72 posts
I snooze I lose, I should've gotten a Z Ultra from the Sony store US site while I still had the chance for it's great price, now it's gone and taken off the site. Now, I'm only looking at the Z2, and behold, my waiting has resulted in the Z2 being back ordered. I could really use a phone by mid January. So I'm still open, but the ZU is probably a closed door for me unless I can find it brand new for a great price and with a warranty. I'm also looking at the LG G pro 2(but it's really pricey for the F530-US At&t compatible LTE) or even a Samsung Galaxy Note 3 (the price has really fallen on that phone lately).

Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread