Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,739,099 Members 45,966 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

Defect or is everybodys Ultra like this?

Tip us?

N10AP
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 192
Default Defect or is everybodys Ultra like this?

As title.

Have a look at video.

Pressure marks on screen.

Second Z ultra thats doing this. First one I had right fun and games with a certain repairer.

Here it is. Do I live with it or send it back?

Thanks for your time ladies and gents.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3eLoJhiefOo

LordManhattan
Old
Account currently disabled
Thanks Meter 5648
Hmmm, it's an LCD panel, so it'll do that if you give it a hard press (like your PC monitor and TV), but that's not normal, no. The Ultra's panel is so-called "zero gap", which means that the glass and LCD panel are fused together making it one piece, and not two. That's how they've made it so thin. The glass is also very thin (Dragontrail), so that combination will have some consequences. BUT this doesn't look normal. You're not even tapping hard, so that looks like a defect. I get it too if I press hard, and I mean really hard.
The Following User Says Thank You to LordManhattan For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

N10AP
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 192
Quote:
Originally Posted by LordManhattan View Post
Hmmm, it's an LCD panel, so it'll do that if you give it a hard press (like your PC monitor and TV), but that's not normal, no. The Ultra's panel is so-called "zero gap", which means that the glass and LCD panel are fused together making it one piece, and not two. That's how they've made it so thin. The glass is also very thin (Dragontrail), so that combination will have some consequences. BUT this doesn't look normal. You're not even tapping hard, so that looks like a defect. I get it too if I press hard, and I mean really hard.
My first Ultra was like this but in a different place on the screen. But this one I only just got it out the box and it was doing it.

Getting a bit sick of it to be honest. I love the Z Ultra but I`m wondering if I`ll get a good one!

LordManhattan
Old
Account currently disabled
Thanks Meter 5648
Quote:
Originally Posted by N10AP View Post
My first Ultra was like this but in a different place on the screen. But this one I only just got it out the box and it was doing it.

Getting a bit sick of it to be honest. I love the Z Ultra but I`m wondering if I`ll get a good one!
Yeah, that's understandable. I would probably have swapped it again if it's something you notice under regular usage, or just go with a different device altogether.

N10AP
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 192
Quote:
Originally Posted by LordManhattan View Post
Yeah, that's understandable. I would probably have swapped it again if it's something you notice under regular usage, or just go with a different device altogether.
One more chance to get a good one. Real shame as the Ultra is a fantastic phone. If it wasn`t under warranty I would have stripped it and investigated for myself. Still, never mind.

Would like to hear from anyone else who has had a similar problem.

blueether
Old
Thanks Meter 964

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by N10AP View Post
One more chance to get a good one. Real shame as the Ultra is a fantastic phone. If it wasn`t under warranty I would have stripped it and investigated for myself. Still, never mind.

Would like to hear from anyone else who has had a similar problem.
I had a look at both of mine the other day, one does this on the left side of the screen if I press too hard, the other doesn't seem to do it at all. A symptom of too thin glass/ts/panel and too big?
Charles
Alcatel One Touch "easy" -> Nokia 1110i -> Alcatel ame-408 -> Motorola Razr v3 -> Huawei u8100 -> Sony Xperia Z-Ultra

ROM:- Carbon
Kernel:- Pimped Kernel

Thankyou to all those that have donated to me over 2014.

N10AP
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 192
Quote:
Originally Posted by blueether View Post
I had a look at both of mine the other day, one does this on the left side of the screen if I press too hard, the other doesn't seem to do it at all. A symptom of too thin glass/ts/panel and too big?
I think so. But it shouldn`t happen. But then again, the technology was cutting edge. Maybe the Z2 Ultra won`t have these problems.

I have OCD and it really bothers me. Too picky I know but would like it right. I haven`t lost hope with Sony products at all, just think that with something cutting edge there will be flaws...