Welcome to XDA

Search to go directly to your device's forum

Register an account

Unlock full posting privileges

Ask a question

No registration required

Defect or is everybodys Ultra like this?

OP N10AP

9th July 2014, 04:47 PM   |  #1  
OP Senior Member
Flag Nottingham
Thanks Meter: 206

365 posts
As title.

Have a look at video.

Pressure marks on screen.

Second Z ultra thats doing this. First one I had right fun and games with a certain repairer.

Here it is. Do I live with it or send it back?

Thanks for your time ladies and gents.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3eLoJhiefOo
9th July 2014, 10:26 PM   |  #2  
Account currently disabled
Flag Kepler-34b
Thanks Meter: 5,664

15,002 posts
More
Hmmm, it's an LCD panel, so it'll do that if you give it a hard press (like your PC monitor and TV), but that's not normal, no. The Ultra's panel is so-called "zero gap", which means that the glass and LCD panel are fused together making it one piece, and not two. That's how they've made it so thin. The glass is also very thin (Dragontrail), so that combination will have some consequences. BUT this doesn't look normal. You're not even tapping hard, so that looks like a defect. I get it too if I press hard, and I mean really hard.
The Following User Says Thank You to LordManhattan For This Useful Post: [ View ]
10th July 2014, 09:01 AM   |  #3  
OP Senior Member
Flag Nottingham

365 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by LordManhattan

Hmmm, it's an LCD panel, so it'll do that if you give it a hard press (like your PC monitor and TV), but that's not normal, no. The Ultra's panel is so-called "zero gap", which means that the glass and LCD panel are fused together making it one piece, and not two. That's how they've made it so thin. The glass is also very thin (Dragontrail), so that combination will have some consequences. BUT this doesn't look normal. You're not even tapping hard, so that looks like a defect. I get it too if I press hard, and I mean really hard.

My first Ultra was like this but in a different place on the screen. But this one I only just got it out the box and it was doing it.

Getting a bit sick of it to be honest. I love the Z Ultra but I`m wondering if I`ll get a good one!
10th July 2014, 04:50 PM   |  #4  
Account currently disabled
Flag Kepler-34b
Thanks Meter: 5,664

15,002 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by N10AP

My first Ultra was like this but in a different place on the screen. But this one I only just got it out the box and it was doing it.

Getting a bit sick of it to be honest. I love the Z Ultra but I`m wondering if I`ll get a good one!

Yeah, that's understandable. I would probably have swapped it again if it's something you notice under regular usage, or just go with a different device altogether.
13th July 2014, 12:17 PM   |  #5  
OP Senior Member
Flag Nottingham

365 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by LordManhattan

Yeah, that's understandable. I would probably have swapped it again if it's something you notice under regular usage, or just go with a different device altogether.

One more chance to get a good one. Real shame as the Ultra is a fantastic phone. If it wasn`t under warranty I would have stripped it and investigated for myself. Still, never mind.

Would like to hear from anyone else who has had a similar problem.
13th July 2014, 11:05 PM   |  #6  
Flag Te Awamutu, New Zealand
Thanks Meter: 1,570

3,260 posts
Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by N10AP

One more chance to get a good one. Real shame as the Ultra is a fantastic phone. If it wasn`t under warranty I would have stripped it and investigated for myself. Still, never mind.

Would like to hear from anyone else who has had a similar problem.

I had a look at both of mine the other day, one does this on the left side of the screen if I press too hard, the other doesn't seem to do it at all. A symptom of too thin glass/ts/panel and too big?
13th July 2014, 11:54 PM   |  #7  
OP Senior Member
Flag Nottingham

365 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by blueether

I had a look at both of mine the other day, one does this on the left side of the screen if I press too hard, the other doesn't seem to do it at all. A symptom of too thin glass/ts/panel and too big?

I think so. But it shouldn`t happen. But then again, the technology was cutting edge. Maybe the Z2 Ultra won`t have these problems.

I have OCD and it really bothers me. Too picky I know but would like it right. I haven`t lost hope with Sony products at all, just think that with something cutting edge there will be flaws...

Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread