Welcome to XDA

Search to go directly to your device's forum

Register an account

Unlock full posting privileges

Ask a question

No registration required

[Q] Is the Z ultra still worth buying? Did you guys get used to the size?

OP BluBBa

23rd March 2014, 05:03 PM   |  #1  
OP Member
Thanks Meter: 2

36 posts
Hey guys,

so I've been eyeballing with the Z ultra since last year september or something. It was around the time my Note 2 broke and I needed a new phone.
However a few months after it was released the price was just too high (~600) for me to afford - . So I went with the Nexus5 which was released for only 350 Euros and I really needed a phone back then. Now the ZU is half the price (300). Interesting price development which really implies that this phone realls isnt for everyone.

so I was wondering if anyone could tell me something about daily usage of the phone - mostly in terms of Size. When sitting somewhere, standing and stuff, I dont care about the size but when moving around I'm afraid it would get impractical.
  • Does it fit in your trouser-poket at all?
  • Or you guys mostly put it in the pocket of the Jacket?
  • Do you always have to wear a small bag to go out with the phone?
  • How do you carry it when its hot? (Maybe someone who bought it in a hot place since it was released in the fall)

On the other hand, there is the Note 3, which is currently available for 360 (weekend offer, normally 450). So I'm really strugglin with the choice of which device to get. If the ZU size is really dealable i'd definitely prefer it over the N3. I would really appreciate it if you could share your experience.

(I know there have been rumors, whether there's gonna be a Z2 Ultra or not but looking at the price (which would be like 700 on release) I don't think I that the new Z2U would matter to me until 2015.)
23rd March 2014, 05:07 PM   |  #2  
Flag Jakarta
Thanks Meter: 1,899

2,576 posts
Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by BluBBa

Hey guys,

so I've been eyeballing with the Z ultra since last year september or something. It was around the time my Note 2 broke and I needed a new phone.
However a few months after it was released the price was just too high (~600) for me to afford - . So I went with the Nexus5 which was released for only 350 Euros and I really needed a phone back then. Now the ZU is half the price (300). Interesting price development which really implies that this phone realls isnt for everyone.

so I was wondering if anyone could tell me something about daily usage of the phone - mostly in terms of Size. When sitting somewhere, standing and stuff, I dont care about the size but when moving around I'm afraid it would get impractical.

• Does it fit in your trouser-poket at all?
  • Or you guys mostly put it in the pocket of the Jacket?
  • Do you always have to wear a small bag to go out with the phone?
  • How do you carry it when its hot? (Maybe someone who bought it in a hot place since it was released in the fall)

On the other hand, there is the Note 3, which is currently available for 360 (weekend offer, normally 450). So I'm really strugglin with the choice of which device to get. If the ZU size is really dealable i'd definitely prefer it over the N3. I would really appreciate it if you could share your experience.

(I know there have been rumors, whether there's gonna be a Z2 Ultra or not but looking at the price (which would be like 700 on release) I don't think I that the new Z2U would matter to me until 2015.)

So many posts like yours. Please search? But anyway, here's my answer. Yes it is still worth to buy. The development curve has been reaching plateau for a while so it will still be fast for 1-2years to the future. As for carrying i just bring it into my chest pocket and no damn given..

Sent from my C6802 using xda app-developers app
23rd March 2014, 05:09 PM   |  #3  
Flag Port of Spain
Thanks Meter: 42

191 posts
Phone is definitely big but easily pocketable in all but the slimmest of pants. Personally i sold mine partly because of the size. After three months of ownership i just wanted something much smaller to move around with.

But to answer ur question it is still one of the most powerful out there. Even the z2ultra i suspect will be a minor spec bump over the original much like the z2 is over the z1. I say go for it.

Sent from my Venue 8 Pro 5830 using Tapatalk
23rd March 2014, 05:17 PM   |  #4  
OP Member

36 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by hansip87

So many posts like yours. Please search? But anyway, here's my answer. Yes it is still worth to buy. The development curve has been reaching plateau for a while so it will still be fast for 1-2years to the future. As for carrying i just bring it into my chest pocket and no damn given..

Sent from my C6802 using xda app-developers app

I'm sorry, I wasnt sure what to search for, so I went for the keyword "pocket" and only found about how much people had no trouble having it in their pocket.

However I would rather like to know about what kind of pockets you use. Does it always have to be the Jacket? What about when wearing shorts?

How about the situation when you're in the office and wanna go get some coffee and dont need your jacket or bag?

Thanks for the answer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CptAwesomeTT

Phone is definitely big but easily pocketable in all but the slimmest of pants. Personally i sold mine partly because of the size. After three months of ownership i just wanted something much smaller to move around with.

But to answer ur question it is still one of the most powerful out there. Even the z2ultra i suspect will be a minor spec bump over the original much like the z2 is over the z1. I say go for it.

Thank you for your answer.

So you're saying it fits but it makes you feel uncomfortable when moving around with it in your (trouser)pocket?
Last edited by BluBBa; 23rd March 2014 at 05:22 PM. Reason: 2nd answer
23rd March 2014, 05:40 PM   |  #5  
Flag Haverhill MA
Thanks Meter: 884

2,995 posts
More
Just to put it plain and simple if you want to buy the Z Ultra because of how comfortable it fits in your pocket then I suggest you move on.

Its like saying you wanna buy a Ferrari but but are afraid that it might be too fast.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to shook187 For This Useful Post: [ View ]
23rd March 2014, 05:48 PM   |  #6  
Flag Port of Spain
Thanks Meter: 42

191 posts
depends...
I live in a tropical island where the only two types of weather we get is hot and scorching. As such clothing is light the majority if the time. as such the only real option is a pants pocket which fits comfortably but you still know its there with every step. Honestly its not as bad as I may be making it sound but its really up to personal preference. If possible find someone you know who has one and see how it feels to you.

Personally after owning many phones of varying sizes I've found that my preference is an smaller phone (my Lumia 820 is the perfect size) and now I have a larger tablet for media consumption and general use. Usage scenario preferences vary from person to person. The only real way to know what is best for you is to try them all. Its a bit of a hassle and maybe a little expensive but its the foolproof way.

Last edited by CptAwesomeTT; 23rd March 2014 at 05:53 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to CptAwesomeTT For This Useful Post: [ View ]
24th March 2014, 02:36 AM   |  #7  
Thanks Meter: 14

165 posts
After using the Z ultra for a couple weeks it doesn't really seem big anymore. I could even go a little bigger.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to sanvara For This Useful Post: [ View ]
24th March 2014, 03:40 AM   |  #8  
Thanks Meter: 10

130 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by sanvara

After using the Z ultra for a couple weeks it doesn't really seem big anymore. I could even go a little bigger.

Had it since December, and much the same- I could stand going up to 6.5" or even a 7" screen as a phablet.

Only thing I might ever switch to is those Asus Padfones (Or Phonepads? Can't remember which one is which). Those ones that let you stick their phone into a tablet. Sounds nice and the best of both worlds, but the only one that's come up into the US is a 7" one, which just isn't worth the effort (Plus, I don't know if they work with custom firmware, so...).
24th March 2014, 04:35 AM   |  #9  
Flag KUALA LUMPUR

34 posts
More
Thumbs up
had in when first time arrive on my county with cost almost 570 Euro, till now im still proud with my ZU, its never let me down.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to nazzier5463 For This Useful Post: [ View ]
24th March 2014, 05:06 PM   |  #10  
Flag Jakarta
Thanks Meter: 14

91 posts
More
Thumbs up
check this thread

http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2666638

Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread