Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,784,161 Members 41,275 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] Mobile Data access

Tip us?

mtrein
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Thumbs down [Q] Mobile Data access

Hi,

I have bought an XPeria Z Ultra about 2 weeks ago, and am coming from an iPhone 4. I am quite happy so far except for one thing. Unfortunately, this "thing" is bad enough as to put me off and get me thinking about going back to apple, or possibly to a windows phone.

I have recently changed to a prepaid account with my carrier, and it charges me a given amount whenever I use the mobile network for data. I have tried to limit the usage to Wifi only, but so far, there is always some random app that keeps using 4G - even when I am at home, and connected to wifi.

I have searched for a few days already and have found no way to limit mobile data access on a general basis. So, my question is:

How can I make sure ALL apps access data via wifi whenever they need internet access, regardless of the time? I don't want to use an app to control that, and I have tried all the options I found for data restriction/etc.

Right now what is working for me is exactly that - a woraround, where I have entered a bogus string for data configuration so that the phone simply -cannot- connect at all. But I can't believe that this is the only solution. I just can't.

mtrein
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Looks like the only way is by restricting EACH AND EVERY app. Come to think of it, an OS as popular as this one lacking the means to completely block, in a general way, access to mobile data, is simply incredible.

Anyway, I will leave this here as a rant. iOS has it, Windows has it... Why doesn't Android?

A pity, but I will be looking to switch to some other OS, maybe even back to iOS.

adfurgerson
Old
Thanks Meter 593
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtrein View Post
Looks like the only way is by restricting EACH AND EVERY app. Come to think of it, an OS as popular as this one lacking the means to completely block, in a general way, access to mobile data, is simply incredible.

Anyway, I will leave this here as a rant. iOS has it, Windows has it... Why doesn't Android?

A pity, but I will be looking to switch to some other OS, maybe even back to iOS.
I have Google Play edition Z Ultra and it has a toggle for data. There is a port of this firmware for Sony phones.
The Following User Says Thank You to adfurgerson For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

mtrein
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by adfurgerson View Post
I have Google Play edition Z Ultra and it has a toggle for data. There is a port of this firmware for Sony phones.
Hi. Thanks for answering. Mine also has a toggle for data, but apps that have a permission to alter the network configuration can (and will) do so. What I believe should be available, as is in other OSs, is a toggle that actually limits that permanently and does not take into account whether an app has permissions or not, as setting permissions individually is a pain (what if I forget to do it when I install a new app, let alone an OS update).

It might not be such a big deal for everyone, but for me it is.