[Q] Screen of Death (SOD) during/after call on Stock Google Play 4.4.4 ROM

Search This thread

Jason_25

Aug 2, 2007
I made the lethal mistake of upgrading my Google Play edition yesterday. It was working fine with the shipped ROM aside from "Security" within settings causing settings to crash. Now after updating to 4.4.4 the sleep of death happens during and after making a call. Devastating. The phone is fully reset with no settings changed. This happens immediately during and after making a call after a hard reset. I have no plans to install any custom ROMS any time soon. Is the hardware failed now? I ordered from Expansys. Who would be best to contact about this problem? Expansys, Google, or Sony?

Edit: This problem is caused by the face detection sensor and the factory plastic that comes on the screen. When a bubble forms over the sensor, it will not restore the screen during a call. Also, a call cannot be stopped except for with the touchscreen. The problem was fixed by removing the factory plastic. The software version was probably a coincidence. I am cheap and kept the factory plastic on it for a while which is what caused this problem.

Last edited:
Reactions: adfurgerson

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    I made the lethal mistake of upgrading my Google Play edition yesterday. It was working fine with the shipped ROM aside from "Security" within settings causing settings to crash. Now after updating to 4.4.4 the sleep of death happens during and after making a call. Devastating. The phone is fully reset with no settings changed. This happens immediately during and after making a call after a hard reset. I have no plans to install any custom ROMS any time soon. Is the hardware failed now? I ordered from Expansys. Who would be best to contact about this problem? Expansys, Google, or Sony?

Edit: This problem is caused by the face detection sensor and the factory plastic that comes on the screen. When a bubble forms over the sensor, it will not restore the screen during a call. Also, a call cannot be stopped except for with the touchscreen. The problem was fixed by removing the factory plastic. The software version was probably a coincidence. I am cheap and kept the factory plastic on it for a while which is what caused this problem.