Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,770,363 Members 47,452 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Tutorial] Xperia Z & ZL Bootloader Unlocking/Relocking

Tip us?

schaggo
Old
Thanks Meter 566
Quote:
Originally Posted by stryker.jp View Post
now i'm not so keen to buy the XZ, since it will never be unlocked...
what should i do...
Import one. There sure will be unlocked ones available.
Current: Sony XPERIA Z1 Compact (D5503) unlocked, rooted stock 4.4.4 | Asus Transformer Pad (TF300T) locked, rooted stock 4.3
Deprecated: Sony XPERIA Z, Sony XPERIA T, Samsung Galaxy S3, Samsung Galaxy Note, HTC DesireZ, HTC 7, Nokia N900, HTC Magic, HTC Touch Pro, SonyEricsson XPERIA X1, HTC Touch Cruise, HTC Canary (Orange SPV) et al.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryland Johnson View Post
It is clear that this phone has an awful lot more artificial intelligence than some of its owners.

Higgins12
Old
Thanks Meter 137
Quote:
Originally Posted by schaggo View Post
Theres probably your reason. NTT DoCoMo. Carrier-implied lock. As always, buy free devices and stay away from carrier-subsidized and branded phones.
Don't know if that's standard in Japan but i bought the XZ from Vodafone (Germany) and the bootloader isn't locked.

bbuske
Old
Thanks Meter 9
i'm wondering the german user manual says nothing about the led and message information only about charging status

Higgins12
Old
Thanks Meter 137
Quote:
Originally Posted by bbuske View Post
i'm wondering the german user manual says nothing about the led and message information only about charging status
You're reading manuals?

Never ever had a look inside them

lindahl85
Old
Thanks Meter 38

DONATE TO ME
I am new to Sony phones but experienced on HTC. Does Sony use S-ON/S-OFF like HTC does or is a rooted Xperia Z simply just s-off? I´m thinking of getting one onstead of my One X
LG G2 - HTC One X - Sensation XE - Desire

DooMLoRD
Old
Recognized Developer - OP
Thanks Meter 38170
Quote:
Originally Posted by lindahl85 View Post
I am new to Sony phones but experienced on HTC. Does Sony use S-ON/S-OFF like HTC does or is a rooted Xperia Z simply just s-off? I´m thinking of getting one onstead of my One X
when u unlock bootloader of Xperia devices, it is similar to S-OFF...
The Following User Says Thank You to DooMLoRD For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

schaggo
Old
(Last edited by schaggo; 25th February 2013 at 12:56 PM.)
Thanks Meter 566
Default AW: [Tutorial] Xperia Z & ZL Bootloader Unlocking

Mixed thing, I believe, as sony uses different concepts. S-ON/S-OFF prevents flashing stuff using a custom recovery, correct?

Edit:
I can give you information which I know from the Xperia T, a device which applies the same concepts as the Z. Everything which applies to the T will eventually, most likely, also apply to the Z once the exploits to obtain root are found.
Ok, so, a locked bootloader prevents you running custom kernels and an custom recoveries "natively", meaning on a locked device you cannot natively boot a custom recovery. It's comparable to S-ON I believe. On the T devs managed to circumvent this by obtaining root on a locked device and then used root acces to modify the chargemon script which is run upon booting the device to make it load a custom recovery additionally to it's intended function. The recovery is not flashed on a separate partition but deposited on /system as an archive. The script simply unpacks and loads it. Because the recovery runs with root permissions, you can then use it to flash stuff despite having a locked bootloader.

On an unlocked device, you can flash any compatible kernel and recovery and also natively boot them. An unlocked bootloader means full and unlimited access to the device.
Current: Sony XPERIA Z1 Compact (D5503) unlocked, rooted stock 4.4.4 | Asus Transformer Pad (TF300T) locked, rooted stock 4.3
Deprecated: Sony XPERIA Z, Sony XPERIA T, Samsung Galaxy S3, Samsung Galaxy Note, HTC DesireZ, HTC 7, Nokia N900, HTC Magic, HTC Touch Pro, SonyEricsson XPERIA X1, HTC Touch Cruise, HTC Canary (Orange SPV) et al.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryland Johnson View Post
It is clear that this phone has an awful lot more artificial intelligence than some of its owners.

DooMLoRD
Old
Thanks Meter 38170
Quote:
Mixed thing, I believe, as sony uses different concepts. S-ON/S-OFF prevents flashing stuff using a custom recovery, correct?
yes... with S-OFF u can flash radio and kernel in recovery...

on Xperia devices with unlocked bootloaders u can flash kernel in recovery... we never really tried flashing RADIO image (baseband) but i guess it should work...

lindahl85
Old
Thanks Meter 38

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by DooMLoRD View Post
yes... with S-OFF u can flash radio and kernel in recovery...
This is what i miss most with my One X device.
LG G2 - HTC One X - Sensation XE - Desire

DooMLoRD
Old
Thanks Meter 38170
Quote:
On an unlocked device, you can flash any compatible kernel and recovery and also natively boot them. An unlocked bootloader means full and unlimited access to the device.
yes precisely...

Sony have opened up the devices lot more after the 2011 devices...