Android 4.2.2 Update - Impressions & Reviews!

Search This thread

DeathlessOne

May 2, 2011
US
Oh, sorry I didn't specify. I was talking about the customizations he made :)
I'm already in 4.2.2 and rooted, the only step is CWM. Would you guys recommend dual recovery?
Fine :)

I had CWM, had problems like the recovery gone while rebooting and I'd have to re flash it every time after rebooting. (Don't know, maybe the prob is with my firmware).

Now using DR and no problems so far. So I'd recommend but it's still in beta.

Julianocas

Mar 29, 2012
Damm

ana8epa9.jpg

Astagar

Nov 15, 2012
Got the same problem with this f******g deleted_wake_locks, I already reboot my phone several times, but it's still worth than before.
I did a clean install with the spanish one and Flashtool, it's really annoying :(

gm007

May 29, 2011
Got the same problem with this f******g deleted_wake_locks, I already reboot my phone several times, but it's still worth than before.
I did a clean install with the spanish one and Flashtool, it's really annoying :(

Wipe dalvik cache(in /data/dalvik-cache delete all files and reboot.

Sent from my C6603 using xda premium

Reactions: Astagar

serpicoUK

Aug 19, 2011
How do I update my phone? Will I lose all my data?

Sent from my C6603 using xda app-developers app

serpicoUK

Aug 19, 2011
Updated and my status bar is only transparent when using stock laucher but not when using any others. Is that correct?

Sent from my C6603 using xda app-developers app

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    The 4.2.2. update is great!

I've fixed that annoying persistent "Mobile data enabled" notification and deleted "fastdormancy.apk" as I did with the previous firmware. The phone sleeps like a baby over night with hardly any wakeups! I've only lost 2% (0.2%/h) in 8.5 hours with wifi on and stamina mode. The deep sleep was 98.5%. This was after upgrading yesterday via PC Companion (all apps, data, settings retained) and let the phone rest over night after a full charge. Stamina mode predicted me 11 days and 21 hours of standby if I would continue "using" the phone that way. That's pretty close to those unrealistic manufacturer standby times!

Battery life is definitely on par with the .253 firmware which I had before, if not better.

- phone is smoother and faster overall, no lag or stuttering, if you disable all animations in developer options, everything loads instantly, I really can't imagine it to become any faster at all
    - lock screen widgets are nice
    - I have that bug also where the "swipe up or down to unlock" message never dissapears, it's a bit annoying but nothing too bad
    - it produces less heat than before and therefore the thermal throotling sets in later or not at all
    - battery life enhanced

I've observed with "Cool tool" and "System tuner pro" the cpu load, frequencies, cores used and cpu temperature. I can safely say, that with the 4.2.2. update, the phone uses much more cpu frequencies than ever before. It also does not go as unnecessarily fast to the highest frequency and doesn't stay there as long as before.

The phone now uses maybe 10 or 12 different frequencies whereas before it was only 5 or so! This helps prolonging the battery life and significantly reduces the heat while in standby (it's now cool to the touch whereas before it was a little warm), surfing the web or playing games while performance is the same or even better. I don't know if Sony programmers in addition to the other steps they've taken also tweaked the cpu frequency voltage settings and lowered them as I can't see these voltages.

I saw the benefits of the phone running cooler with Antutu benchmark. On the previous firmware the maximum I got was 17400 points, due to thermal throotling. Now, I'm reaching 19400 points because the phone stays cooler and doesn't reduce clock speeds.

I'v also tested sunspider 1.0 and Browsermark 2.0 with Boat Browser 5.6: Sunspider: 1200ms, Browsermark: 2000 points

Quadrant: 7300 points

Have a look at the screenshots!
    unfortunately "com.sonyericson.unplugcharger.notifier" is not responsible for that mobile data notification. if you long press the notification and hit app info it says "phone" and you cannot untick "Show notifications" there. (probably thats also a lotta more notifications than just for mobile data ). does anyone know how to disable that notification? plus i'd also love to get rid of that "swipe up or down to unlock" text in lockscreen.

The 'Mobile data is enabled' notification is caused by the overlay 'com.android.phone-res.apk' which only contains the following files in the 'Generic ES' customization:

public.xml
    Code:
    <?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8"?>
    <resources>
        <public type="bool" name="data_connection_except_mms_show_icon_when_enabled" id="0x7f020000" />
        <public type="bool" name="data_connection_except_mms_show_icon_when_disabled" id="0x7f020001" />
        <public type="string" name="preferred_network_mode_marshal" id="0x7f030000" />
    </resources>

bools.xml
    Code:
    <resources>
        <bool name="data_connection_except_mms_show_icon_when_enabled">true</bool>
        <bool name="data_connection_except_mms_show_icon_when_disabled">true</bool>
    </resources>

strings.xml
    Code:
    <resources>
        <string name="preferred_network_mode_marshal">2,1,0,9</string>
    </resources>

As you can guess, the 'data_connection_except_mms_show_icon_when_enabled' key causes the 'Mobile data is enabled' notification.

If your phone is rooted, you can disable this notification as follows:
    • Install File Manager (or any other file manager with root explorer).
    • Enable 'Root Explorer' and 'Mount System Folders' in settings.
    • Go to /system/vendor/overlay.
    • Rename 'com.android.phone-res.apk' to 'com.android.phone-res.apk.bak' (so just add '.bak' add the end) or delete it completely.
    Yup, finally it's out. Though Sony promised us the update 'soon' enough, it wasn't too late either. The forums will be all over active regarding the update and it's time for us to post the reviews and impressions of the update. The following topics (not limited to) can be discussed:

1. Screen
    2. Battery
    3. Launcher (Even smoother then .307 if available)
    4. Any camera changes (Quality wise and speed)
    5. Wi-Fi coverage and stability etc.

I have update mine using the Spain FTF without wiping data and I'll post my detailed review soon. Till then and always, this thread is all yours!

My quick first find: Only the status bar is transparent and the dock isn't. Does my eyes have the problem or what? (Updated: It's just a wallpaper problem, reset it and it's all done).

Second: Camera does take 3 secs on an average to initialize, but the consecutive ones becomes noticeably faster. (Lock-screen camera opens a bit faster either)

Third: A nice animation like the screen gently fading off when screen turns off!

Fourth: Wi-Fi is as worse as before!

ROOT HAS BEEN ACHIEVED BY V15 OF DOOM'S EXPLOIT (LB-UB):

http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2327472
    Possible fix for lags on 4.2.2. firmware!! - deactivate "My Xperia" completely. Read on for more details!

So I was investigating the reason for the lags in 4.2.2. update. The reason is, on the first day after upgrading from .253 firmware to 4.2.2. (via PC Companion, no wipe) everything was really smooth, smoother than before. Then, about 2 days ago it began to lag. I was thinking all the time "what did I change"?

Then I remembered, that I activated "my Xperia" function! I didn't have it running when it was smooth, but had it running when it became laggy. So I went into "my xperia" settings and switched it off, I also went under "security" - "device administrator" and turned it off there too and rebooted.

After the reboot, I let the phone settle a bit and then tested opening and closing app drawer, swiping through app drawer and home screens, through settings, running apps, I've also tested zooming in and out on websites, swiping up and down in the browser and scrolling really fast in instagram up and down!

The results after intensive testings: It's smooth again!!! I'm not sure if it is as smooth as before I activated "my xperia" for the first time, but definitely a lot smoother than before!

This would make sense, because if this service is running in the background all the time (which it must in order to function correctly), then it may hinder performance and thus make the phone laggy. This would affect the whole system, no matter what apps I'm using.

I've also looked at the cpu frequencies and load when "my xperia" was running and sometimes the phone went to 1512 Mhz for no apparent reason, with this service off, it stayed at 384 Mhz instead!

Please, it would be great if others could test this and prove if this in fact fixes the lags or if it's just my phone.
    That lag was not happening on 4.1.2. If it was, I would have dumped the device the minute I got it.

The "tiny lag" you are talking about happened after the upgrade when everyone was expecting several performance improvements according to the changelog, not the contrary.

And you said it yourself, if another device with same specs is not lagging, that alone is a reason to complain.

I bet no one is enjoying some random tiny lags on a a flagship device.

Do you even know what you're talking about? Like I said, it's Sony's software nothing to do with the hardware. No such guarantee did any manufacturers said their "flagship" is lag free. They never said newer models are better than the old ones either. If you want to compare then compare cameras and flash and software and everything, durability. For gods sake, it's only an update and you guys expect so much from it. Like it's a new world or something.
    Every device lags, s4, htc one, optimus g, lags. Only nexus 4 or vanilla or cm rom are "close" to no lag. If you want to dig deeper, androids script is old as hell compared to any other oses out there. It is considered out of date.

Sony 4.1 was more laggier than 4.2. There's lag every where. I don't know what you've installed in your device, but if you cant even accept lag then go get yourself, an iPhone.
    It's not easy to do any of these, got so much demands? Why don't you try doing it yourself and make it lag free. If you cant then stop complaining like a kid, you dont always get what you want. Appreciate what others do for you, don't take things for granted.

Peace.

Sent from my C6603 using xda premium