Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,736,064 Members 40,840 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

Clearing up the display issue of the Xperia Z

Tip us?

vivftp
Old
Thanks Meter 39
Hmmmmm, a lot of people seemed convinced these displays were from JDI... so this is not the case? Interesting.

IF they are all Sharp displays, could that explain relatively crappy screen performance?

Phorgasmic
Old
Thanks Meter 6
wow relatively crappy?!??!
what the... i mean its not top of the notch 2013 highend screen, but it sure does look sexy as hell in my eyes...

Riyal
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 1638

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by vivftp View Post
Hmmmmm, a lot of people seemed convinced these displays were from JDI... so this is not the case? Interesting.

IF they are all Sharp displays, could that explain relatively crappy screen performance?
Even I was also convinced on the past. But when the kernel source code was released this confirmed the real display being used.

There are actually 3 types of TF displays in general which are being used by phones.

AH-IPS, LTPS and ASV

AH-IPS are somewhat the AMOLED killer(Might be the display used by HTC)

LTPS which is being used by Xperia Z/ZL are the displays which is famous for being low power

ASV on which has the advantage of having a clear wide angle display.

I assume sony did get the LTPS display for utilizing the low power feature it has. This probably the reason why every review we get says that we are having excellent battery life for a 5 incher phone with high end chipsets.

So I'm not sure about what you're saying about crappy screen performance but if you're talking about the angle washed out issue then probably this is a screen issue.

If it's the saturation of the overall screen I'd say it's a software issue

I'm sure sony could fix it. It's just a matter of setting the ARGB values of windows manager of ROM they compiled.

This must be the reason also why Docomo version has good display while others aren't. Assuming that the Docomo version is a customized OS and not the generic one probably different developers must have made/compiled the OS.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Riyal For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

vivftp
Old
Thanks Meter 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phorgasmic View Post
wow relatively crappy?!??!
what the... i mean its not top of the notch 2013 highend screen, but it sure does look sexy as hell in my eyes...
I agree they are great. By relatively crappy I was both referring to peoples perceptions of it and the fact that some people say the phones they have seen are great and others say they are bad. Originally it was believed the screen came from JDI, so if they are using screens from both companies that could explain this discrepency if the Sharp panels aren't up to snuff
The Following User Says Thank You to vivftp For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

Riyal
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 1638

DONATE TO ME
found a decent description of the 3

AH-IPS
This display technology has been invented by LG. It is an abbreviation for Advanced High performing - In-Plane Switching LCD. It is being touted as the actual competitor to Samsung's 'Super AMOLED' display. In a competition held by 'Intertek', LG's AH-IPS display actually defeated Samsung's Super AMOLED in 2 parameters: Color-Accuracy and Power-Efficiency. You can find this display in the recently released LG Nitro HD.

LTPS
This is an abbreviation for 'Low Temperature Poly Silicon' LCD. One of the important characteristics of such displays is that, the drive circuits are directly integrated onto the glass surface which contributes to reducing the number of component parts designed on the outside substrate. This leads to the display's durability being enhanced. The reduced size of the TFT section leads to a crisper display and also leads to lower power consumption. You can find this display in the Lenovo LePad S2005.

ASV
This is an abbreviation for Advanced Super View display. The important characteristic of this display is that it offers excellent viewing angles and competes with the In-Plane Switching (IPS) LCDs. You can find this display in theMeizu MX.
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Riyal For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

Phorgasmic
Old
Thanks Meter 6
yea sorry i sounded a bit harsh, my Z arrives today and the discussion about the display here just got me..

had a S2 for a year now, lets see how the switch will be cant wait to get home to my phone today in a few hours!!!!

sorry for OT

vivftp
Old
Thanks Meter 39
Quote:
yea sorry i sounded a bit harsh, my Z arrives today and the discussion about the display here just got me..

had a S2 for a year now, lets see how the switch will be cant wait to get home to my phone today in a few hours!!!!

sorry for OT
All good. I shall be getting the ZL as soon as it hits Canada in April. The screen easily destroys the one on my x10a, and that is all that matters to me.

Riyal
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 1638

DONATE TO ME
Quote:

sorry for OT
Hi! If you don't mind could you try installing this software on your Xperia Z?

https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...nslab.sa&hl=en

And see if you can fix the saturation like they say.

If you can then I can confirm that the issue is within the ROM it is using and not in the display nor the gamma values defined on the kernel.
The Following User Says Thank You to Riyal For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

Riyal
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 1638

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by vivftp View Post
All good. I shall be getting the ZL as soon as it hits Canada in April. The screen easily destroys the one on my x10a, and that is all that matters to me.
Same with me I wouldn't exchange the IR Blaster, smaller size, comfortable back portion, Cool notification lights, Dedicated Camera Button, higher battery capacity(even if it's way too little it's still higher)

over waterproofness & classy looks only.

vivftp
Old
Thanks Meter 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by Riyal View Post
Same with me I wouldn't exchange the IR Blaster, smaller size, comfortable back portion, Cool notification lights, Dedicated Camera Button, higher battery capacity(even if it's way too little it's still higher)

over waterproofness & classy looks only.
Well the only other thing the Z MIGHT possibly have over the ZL is drop test durability, but no way to know for certain until they're actually dropped. My guess is they will either be equal or the ZL will be better, but so far we've only seen the Z dropped and survive everytime just fine.

I do like the idea of the dock for the Z, but I can live without that. I do wonder if Sony will have a dock for the ZL too...