XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

Clearing up the display issue of the Xperia Z

Tip us?

Riyal
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 1285

DONATE TO ME
Plastic tend to flex while glass is fragile. Sure glass could survive a drop on a material where it is harder but I highly doubt it if it were to be dropped on a metal/concrete surface. Impact would create a deep shock on it's body and I don't think any glass could survive that. Since glasses are pretty solid and doesn't really have any shock absorbent property on it.

Maybe we would have to wait for a drop test video of gizmoslip for the Xperia Z/ZL

stefanve
Old
Thanks Meter 167
Quote:
Originally Posted by Riyal View Post
Hi! If you don't mind could you try installing this software on your Xperia Z?

https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...nslab.sa&hl=en

And see if you can fix the saturation like they say.

If you can then I can confirm that the issue is within the ROM it is using and not in the display nor the gamma values defined on the kernel.
Yes please someone with a z try this out

maverick1103
Old
(Last edited by maverick1103; 19th February 2013 at 09:14 AM.)
Thanks Meter 127
Default Re: Clearing up the display issue of the Xperia Z

Quote:
Originally Posted by stefanve View Post
Yes please someone with a z try this out
2nd that, this could be a big game change!

Sent from my GT-N7100 using Tapatalk 2
Current phone....

HTC One M8, Gunmetal Grey

Current tablet

Nexus 7 (2013)

Previously owned...

Samsung Note 3, Sony Xperia Z1, HTC One, Sony Xperia Z White, Samsung Galaxy Note 2 Grey (N7100), Samsung Galaxy S3 Blue (i9300), HTC One X White, HTC Desire HD, Nokia Lumia 800, Samsung Galaxy S2 (i9200), iPhone 4, iPhone 3GS, iPhone 3G.
The Following User Says Thank You to maverick1103 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

ethan3686
Old
Thanks Meter 61
Quote:

If you can then I can confirm that the issue is within the ROM it is using and not in the display nor the gamma values defined on the kernel.
Seriously anyone with a XZ should try this and post some results too with screenshots!

craftycarper1
Old
Thanks Meter 240
Quote:

This will be the deal breaker for me......patiently waiting some feedback about this, i like the screen, but for 2 years?....not so sure......i got my One X on a 12 month contract and was hoping to do the same with the Z.........but none about.

If this app makes no difference whatsoever then i will probably be pre ordering the M7/One when details come out about contracts.
↑↑↑ Click above for my Userbars ↑↑↑

stefanve
Old
Thanks Meter 167
Quote:
Originally Posted by craftycarper1 View Post
This will be the deal breaker for me......patiently waiting some feedback about this, i like the screen, but for 2 years?....not so sure......i got my One X on a 12 month contract and was hoping to do the same with the Z.........but none about.

If this app makes no difference whatsoever then i will probably be pre ordering the M7/One when details come out about contracts.
Indeed, although I'm kinda worried about the battery life of the M7 since everyone says the One X has a rubbish battery life. It could be a trade off i'm willing to make as the display is as step up from what I have now, would be far more difficult if it was a step down

craftycarper1
Old
Thanks Meter 240
Quote:
Indeed, although I'm kinda worried about the battery life of the M7 since everyone says the One X has a rubbish battery life. It could be a trade off i'm willing to make as the display is as step up from what I have now, would be far more difficult if it was a step down
One X running custom ROMs give good battery life.....i regularly get 2+ days out of mine, light to medium usage.....in fact i have had over 4 days from my battery, only 2hrs screen on time, but still, good battery stats can easily be achieved. I am not a heavy gamer, but once i initially got over the "new phone" period with my One X, the battery became easily more manageable, and i would expect the same to be true for the M7.

Also the battery should be quite easy to change for one of a higher capacity, as many are now doing with the One X, changing the battery for the higher output one from the X+.
↑↑↑ Click above for my Userbars ↑↑↑

Ambroos
Old
Thanks Meter 867
Quote:

Tried, but the best way by far is default (without the app). Changing any value just decreases the contrast or throws off the colour balance.
Sony Xperia Z1 - C6903, black - proud Sony (Ericsson) user
History: J210i, K320i, G705, Arc, Elm, Neo, Arc S, Xperia S, Xperia T, Xperia Z, Xperia Z1 (current)
The Following User Says Thank You to Ambroos For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

stefanve
Old
Thanks Meter 167
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ambroos View Post
Tried, but the best way by far is default (without the app). Changing any value just decreases the contrast or throws off the colour balance.
Thanks, in the end it would still be possible since the bravia engine manage to get more vibrant colors from the display. sure would have been nice to get that without lo level trickery

Ambroos
Old
Thanks Meter 867
Quote:
Thanks, in the end it would still be possible since the bravia engine manage to get more vibrant colors from the display. sure would have been nice to get that without lo level trickery
Bravia Engine just increases the saturation of images.

This actually is a good thing. It means that the Xperia Z is a nuanced display that doesn't do a cutoff but actually is capable of displaying all the colour gradations properly. The display is fine, I don't know how many times I have to keep repeating it. The only 'problem' with the Xperia Z is that the UI uses a lot of greys, causing everything to look a bit dull, especially with higher brightness settings. Colours are pretty deep and accurate.
Sony Xperia Z1 - C6903, black - proud Sony (Ericsson) user
History: J210i, K320i, G705, Arc, Elm, Neo, Arc S, Xperia S, Xperia T, Xperia Z, Xperia Z1 (current)