XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

Clearing up the display issue of the Xperia Z

Tip us?

Maedhros
Old
Thanks Meter 106
Quote:
Originally Posted by LordManhattan View Post
Damn...Why couldn't Sony just give us SLCD 3 instead of ****ty TFT. I turned my Desire HD on again today to check out the screen again. It has a TFT screen like the XZ. Can't compare the overall quality like resolution and stuff like that, but damn the colors are so so aweful. The Desire HD's screen was just fine when it got released, but that's like 3 years ago, and we've seen a lot of really really nice screens since then. And Sony decides to put this garbage in their flagship in 2013. Fantastic. But i guess i'll just have to wait for the XZ to hit the stores so i get a chance to take a close look at it myself (and compare it to all the other screens there).

It is a decent screen - but no doubt the HTC One and the DNA are superior.

LordManhattan
Old
Thanks Meter 5441
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maedhros View Post
It is a decent screen - but no doubt the HTC One and the DNA are superior.
Sure, i guess it does the job, but i can't ignore the fact that every single screen out there that's 0-2 years old are looking so much better. I guess i can just ignore the XZ and move on, but i don't want to I really really want it, but...*insert rage face*!

I DO NOT RUN A SUPPORT LINE THROUGH PERSONAL MESSAGES,
SO PLEASE DO NOT PM ME ABOUT HELP (*COUGH* UNLESS I KNOW YOU *COUGH*).

THANK YOU, AND PLEASE HAVE A COOKIE ON YOUR WAY OUT.

omersak
Old
Thanks Meter 236
Quote:
Originally Posted by LordManhattan View Post
Sure, i guess it does the job, but i can't ignore the fact that every single screen out there that's 0-2 years old are looking so much better. I guess i can just ignore the XZ and move on, but i don't want to I really really want it, but...*insert rage face*!
I'm in exactly the same situation. I really want it bad but will only decide after seeing the screen in action myself.
Phones:
3310 > 3330 > 6100 > k500i > 6630 > 5700XM > N95 8gb > N81 8gb > Samsung i550 > N73 > 5800XM > iPhone 3gs > HTC Desire > Galaxy S > Nexus S > iPhone 4 > Galaxy S II > HTC Sensation + Xperia Play > iPhone 4s + Galaxy Nexus + Galaxy S III > One X > Galaxy Note II + iPhone 5 + Padfone 2 > Xperia Z > HTC One > Xperia Z1 > Nexus 5 + Galaxy S5

Tablets:
iPad 2 > Galaxy Tab 10.1 > Galaxy Note > Galaxy Note 10.1 > Padfone 2 > iPad Mini 2

metcard
Old
Thanks Meter 40
I think putting a sub par screen with well below average viewing angles and contrast will bite Sony in the ass.
I might give the z a skip and hope Sony get their shhht together next time.

Ambroos
Old
Thanks Meter 867
Default Re: Clearing up the display issue of the Xperia Z

Quote:
Originally Posted by metcard View Post
I think putting a sub par screen with well below average viewing angles and contrast will bite Sony in the ass.
I might give the z a skip and hope Sony get their shhht together next time.
Considering the huge amount of pre-orders in Europe and sales in Japan I'm quite sure it won't be a problem.

Sent from my C6603 using xda premium
Sony Xperia Z1 - C6903, black - proud Sony (Ericsson) user
History: J210i, K320i, G705, Arc, Elm, Neo, Arc S, Xperia S, Xperia T, Xperia Z, Xperia Z1 (current)

Al Gore
Old
Thanks Meter 63
The screen is fine. Yes it may be worse than HTC's but on that pic HTC looks way better because of Sony's grey UI
Don't forget to donate if you read my post above.

maverick1103
Old
Thanks Meter 128
Default Re: Clearing up the display issue of the Xperia Z

My god this thread is like a roundabout, we're just going around in circles!!

People should hold their judgement until they see the phone, rather than judging the screen from photos etc!

Sent from my GT-N7100 using Tapatalk 2
Current phone....

HTC One M8, Gunmetal Grey

Current tablet

Nexus 7 (2013)

Previously owned...

Samsung Note 3, Sony Xperia Z1, HTC One, Sony Xperia Z White, Samsung Galaxy Note 2 Grey (N7100), Samsung Galaxy S3 Blue (i9300), HTC One X White, HTC Desire HD, Nokia Lumia 800, Samsung Galaxy S2 (i9200), iPhone 4, iPhone 3GS, iPhone 3G.

hebbe
Old
Thanks Meter 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by maverick1103 View Post
My god this thread is like a roundabout, we're just going around in circles!!

People should hold their judgement until they see the phone, rather than judging the screen from photos etc!

Sent from my GT-N7100 using Tapatalk 2
agree. and what for one person ist the crappiest screen ever, might be for another person the best screen ever seen. it's a personal point of view if the screen is good or not.

lordgoata
Old
Thanks Meter 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by Al Gore View Post
The screen is fine. Yes it may be worse than HTC's but on that pic HTC looks way better because of Sony's grey UI
Indeed - which appears to be quite obvious from the jet black blob that is on the Social icon ... at least I assume that to be part of the icon and not an error on the image, but I don't know what the icon looks like in reality ?

belek1979
Old
(Last edited by belek1979; 25th February 2013 at 10:08 AM.)
Thanks Meter 25
you can fight if good amoled is better then good tft or good ips... but Z display is objectively weak... of course resolution and size make an impression, but if compare to others it looks awful:
http://www.phonearena.com/news/Sony-...emerge_id38887
Z I was using few hours was much worse then S. no vivid, no clear white and no brightness
Nokia 5110... HTC HD, HD2 & ONE, iPhone 3G, 4 & 5, Sony Xperia S