5,600,053 Members 42,582 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum
View Poll Results: Did this thread save your bacon?
Yeah man, it did!! 61 83.56%
No... my device still does not work 12 16.44%
Voters: 73. You may not vote on this poll

[DISASTER RECOVERY][v3.6] Getting your Z1/ZU/Z/ZL back to life!

Tip us?

[NUT]
Old
(Last edited by [NUT]; 25th October 2013 at 11:06 AM.)
Recognized Contributor - OP
Thanks Meter 4273

DONATE TO ME
Default [DISASTER RECOVERY][v3.6] Getting your Z1/ZU/Z/ZL back to life!

I have had my fair share of problems getting out of all kinds of tricky situations. I thought it would be nice to share my knowledge and experience with the good folks on XDA

Using this guide you can get out of the following problems:
  • Bootloop: Sony logo -> Xperia logo and/or bootanim followed by a reboot
  • Bootstall: Sony logo appears, nothing else happens
  • Soft-brick: Phone vibrates when you try to turn it on, nothing else happens, not even the screen turns on! (Formerly named Refuseboot)
A bootloop occurs when your rom has missing or corrupted files or otherwise an incomplete system partition.
A bootstall is caused by a heavily corrupted system partition to the extent you could say it is nolonger there... or an android service that fails to start during init.
A soft-brick can be caused by either a corrupted TA partition or by relocking your phone while you have a custom kernel image still on it (big oops! and yes: I have been in that situation myself )

Xperia Z: Testing functionality before we start...
Bootloop/bootstall: Try to reboot your phone by holding down the POWER and the VOL-UP buttons at the same time for a few seconds. If it reboots, you can be happy!
Soft-brick: If you can feel your phone vibrate when trying to power it on, even when your screen does not turn on, you can also be happy!

The above functionality SHOULD also work on the Z1 and the ZU.

Xperia ZL: Testing functionality before we start...
The ZL has a small reset switch behind the lid where your SIM card goes. You need a pen or something similar to operate it and it should be labeled 'reset' or 'off' inside the case. To reset your phone, you will need to use this switch. The selection between Fastboot (Vol-up) or Flashmode (vol-down) however is the same.

Click image for larger version

Name:	zlreset.jpg
Views:	1893
Size:	46.6 KB
ID:	2029362

Xperia ZU: Testing functionality before we start...
The ZU also has a small reset switch behind the lid where your SIM card goes. You need a pen or something similar to operate it and it should be labeled 'reset' or 'off' inside the case. To reset your phone, you will need to use this switch. The selection between Fastboot (Vol-up) or Flashmode (vol-down) however is the same.

Name:	ILL-SONY-13TI-FORCE-SHUTDOWN-low.png
Views:	713
Size:	70.9 KB
ID:	2326092

Xperia Z1: Testing functionality before we start...
The Z1 also has a small reset switch behind the lid where your SIM card goes. You need a pen or something similar to operate it and it should be labeled 'reset' or 'off' inside the case. To reset your phone, you will need to use this switch. The selection between Fastboot (Vol-up) or Flashmode (vol-down) however is the same.

Name:	ILL-SONY-13HY-FORCE-SHUTDOWN-low.png
Views:	712
Size:	44.3 KB
ID:	2326093

Now that we know we can re-/boot your phone, you have a way out of this problematic situation!

FOR EX- CM/AOSP/AOKP/PAC USERS
When you found this topic while searching for help on returning to STOCK after having CM/PAC/AOSP/AOKP installed on your phone, please visit the following thread:
[GUIDE] How to revert your phone from CM/AOSP/AOKP/PAC to STOCK
This will help you on your quest to return to the STOCK side

FLASHMODE: bootloop & bootstall

Sony Update Service

1. Open SUS on your PC
  2. Walk through until you get instructed to hold key and connect cable
  3. Connect your USB cable to your phone
  4. Hold POWER and VOL-UP to reboot
  5. As soon as your screen goes black, release POWER and slide your finger to VOL-DOWN pressing it (Do it quickly, otherwise it wont work!)
  6. SUS should detect your phone and begin flashing your phone
  7. Your phone should boot up normally again when SUS is done.

As we are using SUS there is a warning to issue here:

THIS WILL DESTROY ALL DATA ON YOUR PHONE!

Consider yourself warned...

FLASHTOOL

1. Open Flashtool on your PC
  2. Either:
    • Deselect everything except system, walk through until you get instructed to hold key and connect cable
    • Walk through until you get instructed to hold key and connect cable, without deselecting anything specific, thus selecting to flash the whole FTF.
  3. Connect your USB cable to your phone
  4. Hold POWER and VOL-UP to reboot
  5. As soon as your screen goes black, release POWER and slide your finger to VOL-DOWN pressing it (Do it quickly, otherwise it wont work!)
  6. Flashtool should detect your phone and begin flashing your phone
  7. Your phone should boot up normally again when Flashtool is done.

As we are using FLASHTOOL there is a warning to issue here:

MAKE YOUR CHOICES WISELY OR YOU RISK DESTROYING ALL DATA ON YOUR PHONE!
Consider yourself warned... again!

FASTBOOT MODE: soft-brick

FASTBOOT FOR KERNEL

1. Connect your USB cable to your phone
  2. Either:
    • Hold POWER and VOL-UP to reboot, on the instance your phone vibrates, release POWER but hold on to VOL-UP;
    • Press POWER, on the instance you feel your phone vibrate, press and hold VOL-UP;
  3. If successful your phone will show a blue led to signal it is in fastboot mode.
  4. Use the fastboot tool to flash the stock Sony kernel image.
  5. Your phone should boot up normally again when fastboot is done.

CONSIDER YOURSELF LUCKY YOU CAN STILL USE YOUR PHONE IF YOU LOSE ANY DATA!!

FLASHMODE & FASTBOOT FOR (RE-)UNLOCKING USING FLASHTOOL

1. Start Flashtool, open up BLU (have your unlock key at the ready!).
  2. Connect your USB cable to your phone
  3. Either:
    • Hold POWER and VOL-UP to reboot, on the instance your phone vibrates, release POWER and slide down to VOL-DOWN;
    • Press POWER, on the instance you feel your phone vibrate, press and hold VOL-DOWN;
  4. Flashtool should recognise your phone and prepares it for unlocking.
  5. [I] On the next step Flashtool needs your phone to reconnect in fastboot
  6. Disconnect USB cable and wait at least 10 seconds before reconnecting.
  7. Connect your USB cable to your phone
  8. Either:
    • Hold POWER and VOL-UP to reboot, on the instance your phone vibrates, release POWER but hold on to VOL-UP;
    • Press POWER, on the instance you feel your phone vibrate, press and hold VOL-UP;
  9. If successful your phone will show a blue led to signal it is in fastboot mode.
  10. Flashtool should detect your phone and begin unlocking your phone
  11. Your phone should boot up normally again when Flashtool is done.

CONSIDER YOURSELF LUCKY YOU CAN STILL USE YOUR PHONE IF YOU LOSE ANY DATA!!

And yes, I personally have been dealing with all the above due to sleep deprived stupidity the past 4 weeks ... But my Z is still very much alive and kicking!

My devices:
Daily driver: Xperia Z (C6603)
Development Phones: Xperia T (LT30p), Xperia Z1 (C6903) Thanks to the XDA community!
Backup: Xperia Arc (LT15i)

My work for the community on XDA:
XZDualRecovery ~ Z1/ZU/Z/ZL DISASTER RECOVERY ~ [DYI Guide]Create a personalized ROM yourself! ~ The definitive root Remount-Reboot fix!

Update your Z1 to KK4.4.2!

My file hosting: http://nut.xperia-files.com/ ~ Please do not mirror my files!
The Following 87 Users Say Thank You to [NUT] For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

egzthunder1
Old
Member Advocate Admin - Spirit of XDA
Thanks Meter 4240
Location: At The Good End Of My Hammer, Likes: My Family & XDA, Dislikes: Incompetence
Thread moved from Original Development to General. This is a very helpful guide (thank you) but unfortunately, it does not meet criteria to fall under development.

"As I walk through the Valley of the Shadow of Death, I fear no evil for I am the God of Death... and this is my valley"

I have ORD

Want to see my devices? Click Below

HTC Blue Angel
ROM: WM 6.5.3 Build 23698 by d-two
Radio: 1.15

HTC Vogue (Verizon Touch)
ROM: Froyo Android (NAND) by incubus26j
Radio: 3.42.50

HTC EVO 3D
ROM: YAS4 v9 by howpathetic (ICS 4.0.4)
PRI: 1.43_003
Radio: 1.09.00.0706
HBOOT: Eng HBOOT (S-OFF)

Sony Xperia T LT30p
ROM: Stock, 91.A.0.148 (Jelly Bean 4.1.2)
Bootloader: Locked

Sony Xperia Z Ultra - GPE
ROM: Stock, Unrooted (KitKat 4.4.2)
Bootloader: Locked

Huawei Premia 4G
ROM: Stock, Rooted (ICS 4.0.4)

Learn how to flash: CDMA Rapahel, Vogue
The Following User Says Thank You to egzthunder1 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

electrash
Old
Thanks Meter 383

DONATE TO ME
Or you can flash ftf file with flashtool.

Sent from my LT26i using xda app-developers app

[NUT]
Old
Thanks Meter 4273

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by electrash View Post
Or you can flash ftf file with flashtool.

Sent from my LT26i using xda app-developers app
But only when you get flashtool to recognize the phone in flashmode, and that can also be achieved by this guide, although i did not test that yet.

My devices:
Development Phones: Xperia T (LT30p), Xperia Z1 (C6903) Thanks to the XDA community!

XZDualRecovery ~ Z1/ZU/Z/ZL DISASTER RECOVERY ~ [DYI Guide]Create a personalized ROM yourself! ~ The definitive root Remount-Reboot fix!

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to [NUT] For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

[NUT]
Old
Thanks Meter 4273

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by egzthunder1 View Post
Thread moved from Original Development to General. This is a very helpful guide (thank you) but unfortunately, it does not meet criteria to fall under development.
Yeah, i didn't know where it was supposed to go for sure

Thanks for moving it to the right forum!

My devices:

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to [NUT] For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

[NUT]
Old
Thanks Meter 4273

DONATE TO ME
I have tried it using flashtool, it works almost the same, I will update the OP with a flashtool guide once I am comfortable enough to write the guide, need some experience with that to account for the caveats flashtool might throw...

Sent from my C6603 using xda app-developers app

My devices:

The Following User Says Thank You to [NUT] For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

[NUT]
Old
Thanks Meter 4273

DONATE TO ME
Redone the OP, added a new guide... now this OP covers just about all you can recover from.

I'm the living proof, my Z is still alive and I have been using all of the methods described in the OP to get me out of trouble more then once

My devices:

The Following User Says Thank You to [NUT] For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

kaefert
Old
(Last edited by kaefert; 12th May 2013 at 11:07 AM.)
Thanks Meter 182
Hi there. As I've learned from your post here, I'm probably experiencing a "Bootstall" after trying to install your lockeddualrecovery1.7.zip from your other thread, and I tried to recovery using the FLASHTOOL method described above, but it doesn't seem to help, but I'm not sure if its working the way its supposed to.

I select the flashmode flashing tft a stock rom, deselected wipe data, and after getting told to connected the device in flashmode. then the flashwindow disappears and only the main window is still there. after a minute my device reboots, but the Bootstall still happens the same way as before.. Here my flashtool log (using flashtool-0.9.10.2beta6-linux)

Quote:
12/026/2013 11:26:20 - INFO - Selected Xperia Z / 10.1.A.1.434 / unbranded
12/026/2013 11:26:20 - INFO - Preparing files for flashing
12/026/2013 11:26:26 - INFO - Please connect your device into flashmode.
12/026/2013 11:26:40 - INFO - Device connected in flash mode
12/027/2013 11:27:41 - INFO - Device disconnected
UPDATE: Okey, It seems my self created tft package just was crappy and didn't work. I downloaded the one from here http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2209637 and this one worked.
The only difference that I find between that one and my self created package is, that I've also included the file "simlock.ta" (I just put all of them in that where downloaded by the pc companion software)
But the main message of my update here: I'm back and rolling, and I didn't even loose my data
2002 - Archos Jukebox Multimedia 20GB
2004 - Dell Axim X50v
2005 - Qtek S100 (HTC Magician)
2007 - E-TEN Glofiish X800
2008 - HTC Touch HD (HTC Blackstone)
2011 - HTC Wildfire (HTC Buzz)
2012 - Huawei Honor (U8860)
2013 - Sony Xperia Z (yuga)
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to kaefert For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

Bioschnitzel
Old
(Last edited by Bioschnitzel; 15th May 2013 at 12:11 PM.)
Thanks Meter 47
I have a refuseboot problem.

I read your guide but have still a question.

Where i can find the stock-kernel image?

Edit: i used the second method and it works.
Sorry for my bad english!
Xperia Z - 4.2 Stock - Rooted - removed Anti-Shatter Film

MafiaManV
Old
(Last edited by MafiaManV; 15th May 2013 at 01:51 PM.)
Thanks Meter 85
should this work in case of hardbricking the device by backup/restore TA image with our DRM keys?

thanks

@edit

sorry, i just read it works for that case

@gm007

i remember you hardbricking your XZ. Are you able to bring it to life with this.?

The Following User Says Thank You to MafiaManV For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]