[DISASTER RECOVERY][v3.6] Getting your Z1/ZU/Z/ZL back to life!

Did this thread save your bacon?

• Total voters
Search This thread

[NUT]

I have had my fair share of problems getting out of all kinds of tricky situations. :fingers-crossed: I thought it would be nice to share my knowledge and experience with the good folks on XDA :)

Using this guide you can get out of the following problems:
  • Bootloop: Sony logo -> Xperia logo and/or bootanim followed by a reboot
  • Bootstall: Sony logo appears, nothing else happens
  • Soft-brick: Phone vibrates when you try to turn it on, nothing else happens, not even the screen turns on! (Formerly named Refuseboot)
A bootloop occurs when your rom has missing or corrupted files or otherwise an incomplete system partition.
A bootstall is caused by a heavily corrupted system partition to the extent you could say it is nolonger there... or an android service that fails to start during init.
A soft-brick can be caused by either a corrupted TA partition or by relocking your phone while you have a custom kernel image still on it (big oops! and yes: I have been in that situation myself :silly: )

Xperia Z: Testing functionality before we start...
Bootloop/bootstall: Try to reboot your phone by holding down the POWER and the VOL-UP buttons at the same time for a few seconds. If it reboots, you can be happy! :highfive:
Soft-brick: If you can feel your phone vibrate when trying to power it on, even when your screen does not turn on, you can also be happy! :fingers-crossed:

The above functionality SHOULD also work on the Z1 and the ZU.

Xperia ZL: Testing functionality before we start...
The ZL has a small reset switch behind the lid where your SIM card goes. You need a pen or something similar to operate it and it should be labeled 'reset' or 'off' inside the case. To reset your phone, you will need to use this switch. The selection between Fastboot (Vol-up) or Flashmode (vol-down) however is the same.

zlreset.jpg

Xperia ZU: Testing functionality before we start...
The ZU also has a small reset switch behind the lid where your SIM card goes. You need a pen or something similar to operate it and it should be labeled 'reset' or 'off' inside the case. To reset your phone, you will need to use this switch. The selection between Fastboot (Vol-up) or Flashmode (vol-down) however is the same.

ILL-SONY-13TI-FORCE-SHUTDOWN-low.png

Xperia Z1: Testing functionality before we start...
The Z1 also has a small reset switch behind the lid where your SIM card goes. You need a pen or something similar to operate it and it should be labeled 'reset' or 'off' inside the case. To reset your phone, you will need to use this switch. The selection between Fastboot (Vol-up) or Flashmode (vol-down) however is the same.

ILL-SONY-13HY-FORCE-SHUTDOWN-low.png

Now that we know we can re-/boot your phone, you have a way out of this problematic situation! :victory:

FOR EX- CM/AOSP/AOKP/PAC USERS
When you found this topic while searching for help on returning to STOCK after having CM/PAC/AOSP/AOKP installed on your phone, please visit the following thread:
[GUIDE] How to revert your phone from CM/AOSP/AOKP/PAC to STOCK
This will help you on your quest to return to the STOCK side ;)

FLASHMODE: bootloop & bootstall

Sony Update Service and PC Companion

1. Open SUS/PC Companion on your PC
  2. Walk through until you get instructed to hold key and connect cable
  3. Connect your USB cable to your phone
  4. Hold POWER and VOL-UP to reboot
  5. As soon as your screen goes black, release POWER and slide your finger to VOL-DOWN pressing it (Do it quickly, otherwise it wont work!)
  6. SUS should detect your phone and begin flashing your phone
  7. Your phone should boot up normally again when SUS is done. :good:

As we are using SUS there is a warning to issue here:

THIS WILL DESTROY ALL DATA ON YOUR PHONE!

Consider yourself warned...

FLASHTOOL

1. Open Flashtool on your PC
  2. Either:
    • Deselect everything except system, walk through until you get instructed to hold key and connect cable
    • Walk through until you get instructed to hold key and connect cable, without deselecting anything specific, thus selecting to flash the whole FTF.
  5. As soon as your screen goes black, release POWER and slide your finger to VOL-DOWN pressing it (Do it quickly, otherwise it wont work!)
  6. Flashtool should detect your phone and begin flashing your phone
  7. Your phone should boot up normally again when Flashtool is done. :good:

As we are using FLASHTOOL there is a warning to issue here:

MAKE YOUR CHOICES WISELY OR YOU RISK DESTROYING ALL DATA ON YOUR PHONE!
Consider yourself warned... again!

FASTBOOT MODE: soft-brick

FASTBOOT FOR KERNEL

1. Connect your USB cable to your phone
  2. Either:
    • Hold POWER and VOL-UP to reboot, on the instance your phone vibrates, release POWER but hold on to VOL-UP;
    • Press POWER, on the instance you feel your phone vibrate, press and hold VOL-UP;
  3. If successful your phone will show a blue led to signal it is in fastboot mode.
  4. Use the fastboot tool to flash the stock Sony kernel image.
  5. Your phone should boot up normally again when fastboot is done. :good:

CONSIDER YOURSELF LUCKY YOU CAN STILL USE YOUR PHONE IF YOU LOSE ANY DATA!!

FLASHMODE & FASTBOOT FOR (RE-)UNLOCKING USING FLASHTOOL

1. Start Flashtool, open up BLU (have your unlock key at the ready!).
  2. Connect your USB cable to your phone
  3. Either:
    • Hold POWER and VOL-UP to reboot, on the instance your phone vibrates, release POWER and slide down to VOL-DOWN;
    • Press POWER, on the instance you feel your phone vibrate, press and hold VOL-DOWN;
  4. Flashtool should recognise your phone and prepares it for unlocking.
  5. On the next step Flashtool needs your phone to reconnect in fastboot
    [*] Disconnect USB cable and wait at least 10 seconds before reconnecting.
    [*]Connect your USB cable to your phone
    [*]Either:
    • Hold POWER and VOL-UP to reboot, on the instance your phone vibrates, release POWER but hold on to VOL-UP;
    • Press POWER, on the instance you feel your phone vibrate, press and hold VOL-UP;
    [*]If successful your phone will show a blue led to signal it is in fastboot mode.
    [*]Flashtool should detect your phone and begin unlocking your phone
    [*]Your phone should boot up normally again when Flashtool is done. :good:

And yes, I personally have been dealing with all the above due to sleep deprived stupidity the past 4 weeks ... :cool: But my Z is still very much alive and kicking! :cowboy:

Last edited:

kaefert

Nov 14, 2007
Vienna
Hi there. As I've learned from your post here, I'm probably experiencing a "Bootstall" after trying to install your lockeddualrecovery1.7.zip from your other thread, and I tried to recovery using the FLASHTOOL method described above, but it doesn't seem to help, but I'm not sure if its working the way its supposed to.

I select the flashmode flashing tft a stock rom, deselected wipe data, and after getting told to connected the device in flashmode. then the flashwindow disappears and only the main window is still there. after a minute my device reboots, but the Bootstall still happens the same way as before.. Here my flashtool log (using flashtool-0.9.10.2beta6-linux)

12/026/2013 11:26:20 - INFO - Selected Xperia Z / 10.1.A.1.434 / unbranded
12/026/2013 11:26:20 - INFO - Preparing files for flashing
12/026/2013 11:26:26 - INFO - Please connect your device into flashmode.
12/026/2013 11:26:40 - INFO - Device connected in flash mode
12/027/2013 11:27:41 - INFO - Device disconnected

UPDATE: Okey, It seems my self created tft package just was crappy and didn't work. I downloaded the one from here http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2209637 and this one worked.
The only difference that I find between that one and my self created package is, that I've also included the file "simlock.ta" (I just put all of them in that where downloaded by the pc companion software)
But the main message of my update here: I'm back and rolling, and I didn't even loose my data ;)

Last edited:

Bioschnitzel

Mar 23, 2013
I have a refuseboot problem.

I read your guide but have still a question.

Where i can find the stock-kernel image?

Edit: i used the second method and it works.

Last edited:

MafiaManV

Jun 22, 2012
Zadar
should this work in case of hardbricking the device by backup/restore TA image with our DRM keys?

thanks

@edit

sorry, i just read it works for that case :)

@gm007

i remember you hardbricking your XZ. Are you able to bring it to life with this.?

Last edited:
Reactions: minew

[NUT]

should this work in case of hardbricking the device by backup/restore TA image with our DRM keys?

thanks

@edit

@gm007

i remember you hardbricking your XZ. Are you able to bring it to life with this.?

A hard brick means you can not restore your phone. A soft brick like I had is recoverable.

EDIT:

gm007 did not get his hard-bricked phone back to life with this guide, the phone is truly dead.

Sent from my C6603 using xda app-developers app

Last edited:
Reactions: mbk.mbk

xchasa

Dec 29, 2010
We'll after being impatient and rushing to apply latest update to UK stock rom running in Australia, I had my first bootloop ever in 6 years of flashing (Sony logo starting then phone shutting down). Nothing I was doing helped. Thought it was going to be service centre bound.
Found this thread again and applied the fix in Op.
Now I'm running the latest original clean aussie Rom with no problems whatsoever.
Thanks so much mate.

[NUT]

We'll after being impatient and rushing to apply latest update to UK stock rom running in Australia, I had my first bootloop ever in 6 years of flashing (Sony logo starting then phone shutting down). Nothing I was doing helped. Thought it was going to be service centre bound.
Found this thread again and applied the fix in Op.
Now I'm running the latest original clean aussie Rom with no problems whatsoever.
Thanks so much mate.

Glad to have been of service :laugh: :victory:

Reactions: xchasa

gm007

May 29, 2011

thanks

@edit

@gm007

Nothing helped my phone,no fastboot no flashmode,that's why i bought a new one.

Sent from my C6603 using xda premium

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    I have had my fair share of problems getting out of all kinds of tricky situations. :fingers-crossed: I thought it would be nice to share my knowledge and experience with the good folks on XDA :)

Using this guide you can get out of the following problems:
    • Bootloop: Sony logo -> Xperia logo and/or bootanim followed by a reboot
    • Bootstall: Sony logo appears, nothing else happens
    • Soft-brick: Phone vibrates when you try to turn it on, nothing else happens, not even the screen turns on! (Formerly named Refuseboot)
    A bootloop occurs when your rom has missing or corrupted files or otherwise an incomplete system partition.
    A bootstall is caused by a heavily corrupted system partition to the extent you could say it is nolonger there... or an android service that fails to start during init.
    A soft-brick can be caused by either a corrupted TA partition or by relocking your phone while you have a custom kernel image still on it (big oops! and yes: I have been in that situation myself :silly: )

Xperia Z: Testing functionality before we start...
    Bootloop/bootstall: Try to reboot your phone by holding down the POWER and the VOL-UP buttons at the same time for a few seconds. If it reboots, you can be happy! :highfive:
    Soft-brick: If you can feel your phone vibrate when trying to power it on, even when your screen does not turn on, you can also be happy! :fingers-crossed:

The above functionality SHOULD also work on the Z1 and the ZU.

Xperia ZL: Testing functionality before we start...
    The ZL has a small reset switch behind the lid where your SIM card goes. You need a pen or something similar to operate it and it should be labeled 'reset' or 'off' inside the case. To reset your phone, you will need to use this switch. The selection between Fastboot (Vol-up) or Flashmode (vol-down) however is the same.

zlreset.jpg

Xperia ZU: Testing functionality before we start...
    The ZU also has a small reset switch behind the lid where your SIM card goes. You need a pen or something similar to operate it and it should be labeled 'reset' or 'off' inside the case. To reset your phone, you will need to use this switch. The selection between Fastboot (Vol-up) or Flashmode (vol-down) however is the same.

ILL-SONY-13TI-FORCE-SHUTDOWN-low.png

Xperia Z1: Testing functionality before we start...
    The Z1 also has a small reset switch behind the lid where your SIM card goes. You need a pen or something similar to operate it and it should be labeled 'reset' or 'off' inside the case. To reset your phone, you will need to use this switch. The selection between Fastboot (Vol-up) or Flashmode (vol-down) however is the same.

ILL-SONY-13HY-FORCE-SHUTDOWN-low.png

Now that we know we can re-/boot your phone, you have a way out of this problematic situation! :victory:

FOR EX- CM/AOSP/AOKP/PAC USERS
    When you found this topic while searching for help on returning to STOCK after having CM/PAC/AOSP/AOKP installed on your phone, please visit the following thread:
    [GUIDE] How to revert your phone from CM/AOSP/AOKP/PAC to STOCK
    This will help you on your quest to return to the STOCK side ;)

FLASHMODE: bootloop & bootstall

Sony Update Service and PC Companion

1. Open SUS/PC Companion on your PC
    2. Walk through until you get instructed to hold key and connect cable
    6. SUS should detect your phone and begin flashing your phone
    7. Your phone should boot up normally again when SUS is done. :good:

As we are using SUS there is a warning to issue here:

THIS WILL DESTROY ALL DATA ON YOUR PHONE!

Consider yourself warned...

FLASHTOOL

1. Open Flashtool on your PC
    2. Either:
      • Deselect everything except system, walk through until you get instructed to hold key and connect cable
      • Walk through until you get instructed to hold key and connect cable, without deselecting anything specific, thus selecting to flash the whole FTF.
    6. Flashtool should detect your phone and begin flashing your phone
    7. Your phone should boot up normally again when Flashtool is done. :good:

As we are using FLASHTOOL there is a warning to issue here:

MAKE YOUR CHOICES WISELY OR YOU RISK DESTROYING ALL DATA ON YOUR PHONE!
    Consider yourself warned... again!

FASTBOOT MODE: soft-brick

FASTBOOT FOR KERNEL

1. Connect your USB cable to your phone
    2. Either:
    3. If successful your phone will show a blue led to signal it is in fastboot mode.
    4. Use the fastboot tool to flash the stock Sony kernel image.
    5. Your phone should boot up normally again when fastboot is done. :good:

FLASHMODE & FASTBOOT FOR (RE-)UNLOCKING USING FLASHTOOL

1. Start Flashtool, open up BLU (have your unlock key at the ready!).
    2. Connect your USB cable to your phone
    3. Either:
      • Hold POWER and VOL-UP to reboot, on the instance your phone vibrates, release POWER and slide down to VOL-DOWN;
      • Press POWER, on the instance you feel your phone vibrate, press and hold VOL-DOWN;
    4. Flashtool should recognise your phone and prepares it for unlocking.
    5. On the next step Flashtool needs your phone to reconnect in fastboot
      [*] Disconnect USB cable and wait at least 10 seconds before reconnecting.
      [*]Connect your USB cable to your phone
      [*]Either:
      [*]If successful your phone will show a blue led to signal it is in fastboot mode.
      [*]Flashtool should detect your phone and begin unlocking your phone
      [*]Your phone should boot up normally again when Flashtool is done. :good:

And yes, I personally have been dealing with all the above due to sleep deprived stupidity the past 4 weeks ... :cool: But my Z is still very much alive and kicking! :cowboy:

Did you have to quote the entire OP to post just this?

Dead Cookies leave no trails...
    Thread moved from Original Development to General. This is a very helpful guide (thank you) but unfortunately, it does not meet criteria to fall under development.

Yeah, i didn't know where it was supposed to go for sure :)

Thanks for moving it to the right forum!
    Hi there. As I've learned from your post here, I'm probably experiencing a "Bootstall" after trying to install your lockeddualrecovery1.7.zip from your other thread, and I tried to recovery using the FLASHTOOL method described above, but it doesn't seem to help, but I'm not sure if its working the way its supposed to.

I select the flashmode flashing tft a stock rom, deselected wipe data, and after getting told to connected the device in flashmode. then the flashwindow disappears and only the main window is still there. after a minute my device reboots, but the Bootstall still happens the same way as before.. Here my flashtool log (using flashtool-0.9.10.2beta6-linux)

12/026/2013 11:26:20 - INFO - Selected Xperia Z / 10.1.A.1.434 / unbranded
    12/026/2013 11:26:20 - INFO - Preparing files for flashing
    12/026/2013 11:26:26 - INFO - Please connect your device into flashmode.
    12/026/2013 11:26:40 - INFO - Device connected in flash mode
    12/027/2013 11:27:41 - INFO - Device disconnected

UPDATE: Okey, It seems my self created tft package just was crappy and didn't work. I downloaded the one from here http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2209637 and this one worked.
    The only difference that I find between that one and my self created package is, that I've also included the file "simlock.ta" (I just put all of them in that where downloaded by the pc companion software)
    But the main message of my update here: I'm back and rolling, and I didn't even loose my data ;)
    Thread moved from Original Development to General. This is a very helpful guide (thank you) but unfortunately, it does not meet criteria to fall under development.