5,600,053 Members 44,475 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Discussion] Z went for a service, returned with the bootloader unlocked

Tip us?

lujo_zgb
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 1
Default [Discussion] Z went for a service, returned with the bootloader unlocked

Many months ago, the speaker on my Z died. It was very quiet and with very low quality reproduction, but I did not get it fixed because I don't use it that much. I use only vibration and led notifications for calls.
A few days ago, the unlock button started to hang, not allowing me to unlock my device. Also, the screen wouldn't turn on and the camera was fogged up. I suspected that some water came in, but the water damage indicators were all white.

Nevertheless, I sent my Z to the service center, with the bootloader locked. After 2 days, I got the call that my phone was fixed. I expected them to have had exchanged my phone for a new one, as 2 days is surely not enough to open and repair the phone (it has to go through diagnostics 1st).
When I came there, I asked what has been done. They said that the software was changed. Basically, reflashed. The peculiar problem is that I flashed the newest available ROM via flashtool before turning it in.

The speaker is mended. Its not fully 100% mended, but it is working again, with a bit lower sound quality than out of the box.
The IMEI is the same, but I in the service tests I found that the found is carrier unlocked and bootloader unlocking is allowed.
I am 100% sure that my Z was not opened because I can't see any visual damages from prying the device open. I had some black spots on my camera sensor from the inside (some dust or something) and they are still there. I suspect the camera to be soldered to the main board, so that is another proof that the phone was not opened.

Naturally, I put CM11 on it right away

So my questions are:
1. How can a software change mend a hardware fault?
2. If it can, why didn't it mend it before? I have played with flashing via flashtool on a monthly basis.
3. If it is a software element that made the speaker bad, is it on a layer beneath the kernel?
4. As far as I know, a carrier unlock does not unlock the bootloader. Or does it?
5. It is now carrier unlocked. Would I still have my warranty if I hadn't unlocked my bootloader? Locked bootloader+Carrier unlocked=warranty?

Sent from my Transformer TF101 using xda app-developers app
Xperia Z + TF101

tally114
Old
Thanks Meter 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by lujo_zgb View Post
Many months ago, the speaker on my Z died. It was very quiet and with very low quality reproduction, but I did not get it fixed because I don't use it that much. I use only vibration and led notifications for calls.
A few days ago, the unlock button started to hang, not allowing me to unlock my device. Also, the screen wouldn't turn on and the camera was fogged up. I suspected that some water came in, but the water damage indicators were all white.

Nevertheless, I sent my Z to the service center, with the bootloader locked. After 2 days, I got the call that my phone was fixed. I expected them to have had exchanged my phone for a new one, as 2 days is surely not enough to open and repair the phone (it has to go through diagnostics 1st).
When I came there, I asked what has been done. They said that the software was changed. Basically, reflashed. The peculiar problem is that I flashed the newest available ROM via flashtool before turning it in.

The speaker is mended. Its not fully 100% mended, but it is working again, with a bit lower sound quality than out of the box.
The IMEI is the same, but I in the service tests I found that the found is carrier unlocked and bootloader unlocking is allowed.
I am 100% sure that my Z was not opened because I can't see any visual damages from prying the device open. I had some black spots on my camera sensor from the inside (some dust or something) and they are still there. I suspect the camera to be soldered to the main board, so that is another proof that the phone was not opened.

Naturally, I put CM11 on it right away

So my questions are:
2. If it can, why didn't it mend it before? I have played with flashing via flashtool on a monthly basis.
3. If it is a software element that made the speaker bad, is it on a layer beneath the kernel?
4. As far as I know, a carrier unlock does not unlock the bootloader. Or does it?
5. It is now carrier unlocked. Would I still have my warranty if I hadn't unlocked my bootloader? Locked bootloader+Carrier unlocked=warranty?

Hi there,

Don't panic! The Bootloader can be unlocked; it doens't mean that it's unlocked. This status is for recognizing Xperia devices that cannot be unlocked (for some reasons). If the device is unlocked, the status will be: "Bootloader unlocked: yes". Neither have I unlocked my bootloader and I've the same status as you (maybe that's something I can reassure you with). I hope I've answered your question correctly. Have a nice day .

lujo_zgb
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by tally114 View Post
Hi there,

Don't panic! The Bootloader can be unlocked; it doens't mean that it's unlocked. This status is for recognizing Xperia devices that cannot be unlocked (for some reasons). If the device is unlocked, the status will be: "Bootloader unlocked: yes". Neither have I unlocked my bootloader and I've the same status as you (maybe that's something I can reassure you with). I hope I've answered your question correctly. Have a nice day .
You missed the point. I know all this, I was focusing this thread more on the 5 questions I posted.

Xperia Z + TF101

alias_neo
Old
Thanks Meter 190
Quote:
Originally Posted by lujo_zgb View Post

So my questions are:
1. It can't, end of story. If a software change fixed it, it was a software problem.
2. Perhaps they flashed something you don't have access to.
3. Maybe, unlikely.
4. No.
5. Yes

The likely explanation is that they did replace the hardware.

First off, no, the camera is not soldered to the main board, that would be silly. It's modular and can be replaced. How do I know? Mine was replaced for black spots, see the threads of tonnes of other people who suffered it.

Second, of course Sony can open their own device without leaving traces, as can their repair centres. How do I know? Again, had mine opened to replace camera, as did many others, no traces of opening left. Prying isn't the only way nor need it leave traces. Ever heard of suction cups?

Third, yes, they can repair it in 2 days. The third time I sent mine back(when they finally repaired it for real) it was given VIP status and repaired in a day.

Sent from my C6603 using Tapatalk
Storage Ether Widget - Storage Widget for Android phones and tablets.