[Discussion] Z went for a service, returned with the bootloader unlocked
Many months ago, the speaker on my Z died. It was very quiet and with very low quality reproduction, but I did not get it fixed because I don't use it that much. I use only vibration and led notifications for calls.
A few days ago, the unlock button started to hang, not allowing me to unlock my device. Also, the screen wouldn't turn on and the camera was fogged up. I suspected that some water came in, but the water damage indicators were all white.
Nevertheless, I sent my Z to the service center, with the bootloader locked. After 2 days, I got the call that my phone was fixed. I expected them to have had exchanged my phone for a new one, as 2 days is surely not enough to open and repair the phone (it has to go through diagnostics 1st).
When I came there, I asked what has been done. They said that the software was changed. Basically, reflashed. The peculiar problem is that I flashed the newest available ROM via flashtool before turning it in.
The speaker is mended. Its not fully 100% mended, but it is working again, with a bit lower sound quality than out of the box.
The IMEI is the same, but I in the service tests I found that the found is carrier unlocked and bootloader unlocking is allowed.
I am 100% sure that my Z was not opened because I can't see any visual damages from prying the device open. I had some black spots on my camera sensor from the inside (some dust or something) and they are still there. I suspect the camera to be soldered to the main board, so that is another proof that the phone was not opened.
Naturally, I put CM11 on it right away
So my questions are:
1. How can a software change mend a hardware fault?
2. If it can, why didn't it mend it before? I have played with flashing via flashtool on a monthly basis.
3. If it is a software element that made the speaker bad, is it on a layer beneath the kernel?
4. As far as I know, a carrier unlock does not unlock the bootloader. Or does it?
5. It is now carrier unlocked. Would I still have my warranty if I hadn't unlocked my bootloader? Locked bootloader+Carrier unlocked=warranty?
Sent from my Transformer TF101 using xda app-developers app