Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,736,660 Members 54,223 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

{DISCUSSION}Xperia Z back glass coming unglued

Tip us?

Rekoil
Old
Thanks Meter 359
So, err, ****, this is happening to mine as well. >.<

Time to send to Sony.
sony xperia z1 compact d5503 lime green

previous phones
sony xperia z1 c6903 metallic purple - screen cracked, broken digitizer
sony xperia z c6603 royal purple - faulty backplate, returned
samsung galaxy s3 lte (gt-i9305n) marble white - sold... no more samsungs for me
htc one x glacier white - dead :'(
apple iphone 4s white - sold

alexpraga
Old
Thanks Meter 51
Does anyone has experience of sending the phone to Sony Service about this and has already the phone back? How long it took?

Sent from my Xperia Z

xHoche96x
Old
Thanks Meter 0
does Sony change something so that this won't happen anymore or does they go the easy way and replace the back with the same glue?

Does it come again?

douglam
Old
Thanks Meter 18
Thanks for sharing your conversation, but like always, they can never confirm or tell you anything useful on the spot.

I guess the only way is to try our luck and send it in and see what they come up with.

Quote:
Originally Posted by drsoran2 View Post
I just had an interesting chat with Xperia Care Support in Germany. Here is a summary of what they told me:

In the beginning, I just wrote, that on the back upper left corner, near the camera, the back panel is lifted a bit compared to the other side.

Xperia Care replied without hesitation: "It seems that your device is defective. You should send it in for inspection/repair."

Me: I told them I was surprised by their quick reply and that I bought the device for its water protection and used it for jogging and pictures in the rain. Since discovering the lift, I'm not so sure anymore about the water proofness.

I gave them the links to the two threads here on XDA dealing with the problem and said its not an isolated case and that under heat the glue gets warm and melts and thus pushes the back outside.

I said, a repair would not fix it, it would come back.

Xperia Care: "I can't tell if the device is still waterproof over the chat, because I can't see it." (She used "waterproof" all the time, not water resistant!)

Me: There was a recent change in material for the back plate which should fix the problem. Do you know about this? Would the warranty deal with the device if water got in through the back while the flaps were closed?

Xperia Care: "This change on your device is not normal and needs to be investigated!"

Me: I told them were they could find pictures of how my device looks like in order to determine how bad it is and gave them the link!

Xperia Care: "I can't access your links. However, it's not relevant what is written there, your phone needs to be inspected!" (I don't know why she couldn't access the XDA links!)

Me: I asked again, what would happen with the warranty if someone, until I send the phone in for inspection, accidentially spills some beverage over my phone or if I get into a heavy rain and water should enter through the back plate?

Xperia Care: "I can't give you information about this"

Me: "So, with my device, based on my initial description, seems to be something wrong and it needs to be inspected. The waterproofness at this point is also unclear. Would you agree?"

Xperia Care: "Yes"

End of story!

So she promptly said, that something is wrong, waterproofness may be affected but couldn't tell me what happens to the warranty if water sips in through the back plate.

What do you guys think? Do you have similar experiences? What to make of this? I would only reluctantly send in my phone, wait for days or weeks to get it back. All the time without smartphone and then I have to backup everything before and restore afterwards!

I'd rather spray some transparent, waterproof glue or something onto the edges to make it more waterproof

Luinwethion
Old
Thanks Meter 61
@donottouch,

First I want to thank you for posting your experience on repairing this problem.

My phone had this problem also, and water got in to the phone, it was raining and I was on the phone with someone.

The problems:

-Microphone has stopped working

-Side keys has stopped working.

So, I contacted Sony Netherlands, and they said I should send the phone to Dynafix, after calling Dynafix, they said that I had to proof that the water came trough the glass, and that I had all the covers closed.. Well, how can I doe that? Because the USB and the headphone strips were pink/red, and the reparation would take more or less 5 weeks (WTF???)

So I thought, I can do it by my self (lol).

The first thing I did was clean the mobo with some special electronics liquid, and I replaced the sidekey flex, everything works now, and this weekend I will work on get the phone waterproof again. And here comes a few questions:

I will replace the Antena cover also (where the speaker) because the glue is not good anymore, and I couldn't find any adhesive for this part. Do you think is necessary? I mean, will water comes though the speaker whole?

In the backcover (where the secondary microphone) there is a sponge, but half of it is gone , I don't think that it is for preventing water to come inside, can you confirm that?

I will buy this adhesive I can't see if it is the old one or the new one, so I will buy and try, my question is, in your tutorial, you don't apply heat to "glue" the cover back, so I assume is not needed (sorry for the stupid question), I just have to (try) apply enough pressure in all 4 sides (I will work it out how to do it).

Again thanks for your help! And sorry for all those questions.

I've removed the camera sponge and lowed the NFC contacts...
donottouch Old
Thanks Meter
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luinwethion View Post
@donottouch,

First I want to thank you for posting your experience on repairing this problem.

My phone had this problem also, and water got in to the phone, it was raining and I was on the phone with someone.

The problems:

So, I contacted Sony Netherlands, and they said I should send the phone to Dynafix, after calling Dynafix, they said that I had to proof that the water came trough the glass, and that I had all the covers closed.. Well, how can I doe that? Because the USB and the headphone strips were pink/red, and the reparation would take more or less 5 weeks (WTF???)

The first thing I did was clean the mobo with some special electronics liquid, and I replaced the sidekey flex, everything works now, and this weekend I will work on get the phone waterproof again. And here comes a few questions:

I will replace the Antena cover also (where the speaker) because the glue is not good anymore, and I couldn't find any adhesive for this part. Do you think is necessary? I mean, will water comes though the speaker whole?

In the backcover (where the secondary microphone) there is a sponge, but half of it is gone , I don't think that it is for preventing water to come inside, can you confirm that?

I will buy this adhesive I can't see if it is the old one or the new one, so I will buy and try, my question is, in your tutorial, you don't apply heat to "glue" the cover back, so I assume is not needed (sorry for the stupid question), I just have to (try) apply enough pressure in all 4 sides (I will work it out how to do it).

I cannot validate the stuff from ebay LOL, what i got from work is works more than fine. I did not apply any heat when i glued it... But it works Just washed the poorly thing with my trousers.... ouch 60min program @40c and is alive, and dry like a desert. The water sensors you need to get from ebay or from another phone if is bigger you can cut it. if you have a look there is a little triangle one in the sim trays handle. And for your question, is better to get the "mic mesh" or get a back from our lovely e-store. and if i were you i would claim warranty for something else, like battery problem common after the 1st 4.2.2 update. make sure you put all stuff back if don't have just cut same color stickers for same size, preferably from similar material.

douglam
Old
(Last edited by douglam; 1st August 2013 at 03:58 PM.)
Thanks Meter 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luinwethion View Post
@donottouch,

The problems:

That's what I'm afraid of. How can you prove anything after the indicators have turned red??? So basically the warranty against water damage is worthless in a waterproof phone?

Luinwethion
Old
Thanks Meter 61
@donottouch, Thank you very much.

I have now a insurance, but I can't claim nothing in the first month, but if anything goes wrong again, I just send the phone to the insurance company, because the Sony service in the Netherlands and Belgium is horrible, they are slow, and they try to find any evidence of user fault, some people with the same problem, got their phones back (after a few weeks) and the problem was not solved, because they claim it's a minor "esthetic" problem.

I got almost all my stuff from a german webshop, and I think the stuff is original, because they look the same as the Sony ones (the flex cable and the antenna cover.

But sadly they don't have the adhesive for the back cover, so the last thing I can do, is hope to get a original one lol.

The mic mesh is a good idea, I will try that, thanks.

Don MC
Old
Thanks Meter 97
In my country it's up to the seller/service center to prove the customer has misused his/her phone and not the other way around. Not sure about the rules elsewhere in the EU, but I'd advise you (Luinwethion) to google a bit and find out more about the consumer rights in your country. They should be the same in all the EU.
Moto Flare - 2110i - 6110 - 8850 - 3300 - 6170 - 5100 - N70 - 5500S - 5800XM - iP4 - SGS - SGS2 - Xperia Z
donottouch Old
Thanks Meter
Quote:
Originally Posted by douglam View Post
That's what I'm afraid of. How can you prove anything after the indicators have turned red??? So basically the warranty against water damage is worthless in a waterproof phone?
"After water damage please change the indicators !" LOL Is that simple. Salvage it from other devices, or buy a few. On mine i used one from my HTC Desire C little square if cutted 3 part just makes the right size.

Tags
glass back, xperia z. bulge