5,599,842 Members 46,838 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[GUIDE][12th March] Things everybody should do with their Xperia Z/ZL after unboxing.

Tip us?

Supersaiyan.IV
Old
(Last edited by Supersaiyan.IV; 12th March 2014 at 09:47 PM.)
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 163
Default [GUIDE][12th March] Things everybody should do with their Xperia Z/ZL after unboxing.

A few things had to be done since unboxing, and now I'm completely satisfied. Xperia Z is the best phone ever.
This is mostly experience speaking, but I'll link sources to motivate my reasoning. Also, all of below is revertible - therefore does not void the warranty. The few things I did so far:

Day 0 - Unboxing

Day 1 - Charge battery. Li-ion batteries like slow charging, slow draining.
Day 2 - Get Adobe Flash Player working. Remove Google advertisements.
  • Install latest Adobe Flash.
  • Get Boat Browser. Then perform Settings -> Page Content Settings -> Enable flash/plug-ins -> "Always on".
  • Or Firefox, and perform Menu -> More -> Settings -> Plugins -> "Enabled".
  • Alternatively, download Dolphin Browser Beta and follow this guide. Root required.
  • AdAway, which was removed from Google Play market, removes most advertisements from Android. Due to Adaway's removal from Google Play it has moved to F-Droid market, which only houses ad-free and open-source applications. Root required.

Day 3 - Rooted Xperia Z
Day 4 - Full-screen Navigation. No onscreen buttons. Phone/Phablet/Tablet mode. Change display resolution.
  • Try full!screen+ or GMD Auto Hide Soft Keys and see if they satisfy your full-screen navigation needs. If not, read below.
  • What we want to achieve.
  • Install Pie Control or the more advanced LMT Launcher, and setup it to your liking. Note how binding the standard menu and back buttons requires root.
  • As video description states, add "qemu.hw.mainkeys=1" to /system/build.prop using a file manager like Solid Explorer to remove standard navigation buttons and reboot. Root required.
  • To regain on-screen navigation remove "qemu.hw.mainkeys=1" from /system/build.prop.
  • Pixel density (DPI) can be changed with Texdroider DPI. Root required.
  • Phone/Phablet/Tablet mode changing is enabled by Phab7 module, which requires Xposed Framework to work. More modules are here. Root required.

Day 5 - Calibrate the Xperia Z display for better colours
Day 6 - 64GB microSDXC and exFAT
Day 7 - Useful Applications
Day 8 - Xperia Z Accessories
Day 9 - Backup procedures and Sony Xperia™ Support phone repair. Read this before flashing MODs.
  • Because MODs might mess up your phone I'll review on some backup procedures and phone repair procedures.
  • The following will present steps to thoroughly backup Contacts, SMS and MMS messages, applications, and system settings. Photos and music included. Last two steps are repair related.
  • If you happen to have TWRP or CWM installed, do a backup from there. This will clone your present system in its entirety to a backup file. CWM or TWRP required.
  • Install Titanium Backup, Go Backup Pro or your favourite backup application.
  • If you settled for Titanium Backup do the following to backup, and this to restore backups. Titanium backup requires root, and costs a lot, but it is also the most powerful backup application out there.
  • If you used Go Backup Pro make a batch backup of everything important and follow instructions on the screen.
  • Save all folders containing backups, photos, music and anything of importance to your computer. Backups are in the folders named TitaniumBackup, GOBackup, clockworkmod and TWRP depending on the backup application you use. Photos are in a folder named DCIM. Copy everything if you're unsure.
  • If you messed up your phone Sony PC Companion can repair/restore your phone - here's a restore guide written by Sony Xperia™ Support. It will erase all data stored on your Xperia Z, so be sure to backup beforehand!
  • To restore your applications you might have to root the Xperia Z again. If you're only restoring Contacts, SMS, MMS, and Call Log there will be no need for root access. Restoring applications might require root. Copy all backups from the computer back to the device, then install the application you used to make the backups, and proceed to restore backups.

Day 10 - Custom Recovery. Flashing with CWM and TWRP on stock factory-locked bootloaders.
  • Install either ClockworkMod (CWM) or TeamWin Recovery Project (TWRP) to gain flashing capability. Note: CWM and TWRP can't read exFAT formatted microSD cards. This means if microSD is exFAT formatted you can only backup to phone storage. Root required.
  • Because the bootloader remains locked flashing will only work for MODs and STOCK based ROMs.[4] This means you can't flash AOSP[5], AOKP[6] and CM[7] based ROMs.
  • You can now also perform Nandroid backups. CWM or TWRP required.

Day 11 - Improving Xperia Z Audio Quality
  • Flash [SOUNDMOD] PureXAudio to dramatically improve Xperia Z's MPQ8064 audio processing chip's sound quality. CWM or TWRP required.
  • Because the above MOD significantly increases audio volume I also chose to also flash the optional Stock audio volume patch. Be sure to not hurt your ears! CWM or TWRP required.
  • If you flashed stock volume, but want it loud again flash [SOUNDMOD] PureXAudio once more.

Day 12 - Considering Unlocking the Bootloader. Voids the warranty.
  • The advantage of voiding warranty by unlocking the bootloader is the ability to flashing ROMs requiring completely different kernels. Which means that an unlocked bootloader can disobey the information provided in footnote [4].
  • A disadvantage is the loss of DRM keys and BRAVIA 2 engine, however this can be prevented. Another disadvantage is that Sony PC Companion will not be able repair your phone anymore.
  • To prevent the loss of DRM keys and BRAVIA 2 engine perform the instructions provided in [Tutorial] Backup You TA Partition To Keep Your Drm Keys before unlocking. Be sure to read most of the 50+ pages of this thread, as performing the procedure erroneously may result in a bricked, non-functional Xperia Z.
  • Afterwards you may proceed to unlock the bootloader or simply skip this step and store the DRM keys for safekeeping.
  • Once the bootloader is unlocked most parts of this guide do not serve as a valid reference anymore.
[1] "It's best to turn the device off during charge; parasitic load can alter full-charge detection and overcharge battery or cause mini-cycles."
[2] ".. a battery wears down more quickly if discharged harshly and if force-charged with high currents.. "
[3] Xperia Z FAQ. Section 1: "Hardware Q&A"
[4] ".. kernel must be entirely stock including initrd otherwise its cryptographic signature will not validate.. "
[5] AOSP - Android Open Source Project
[6] AOKP - Android Open Kang Project
[7] CM - Cyanogenmod
Code:
Changelog:
2014-03-12
- Added Xposed Framework, and Phab7 Xposed framework module. NOTE: Xposed Framework allows a new safer way to write mods. Every Xposed Framework module can be called a mod.
- Added a DPI changing application to Section Full-screen Navigation.

2013-07-23
- Added GMD Auto Hide Soft Keys in section Full-screen Navigation. Thank you cimbomege for the suggestion.
- Moved Adaway application to section Get Adobe Flash Player working.

2013-06-20
- Updated section Rooted Xperia Z with new exploit compatible with Xperia Z (C6603) 10.1.1.A.1.307.
- Added more disadvantages and remarks to section Considering Unlocking the Bootloader.

2013-05-17
- Updated section Backup procedures with more information.
- Added links to official TitaniumBackup backup procedure.

2013-05-16
- Edited a few section headings to make them comprehensive.
- Elaborated NFC remedy instruction in section Rooted Xperia Z.

2013-05-15
- Added section Considering Unlocking the Bootloader.

2013-04-24
- Added Greenify and Sony STAMINA mode coexistence instructions to section Useful Applications.

What else should be done to this Xperia Z?
Be sure to thank people in the posts I linked to above, thank you!
The Following 107 Users Say Thank You to Supersaiyan.IV For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

pongnamu
Old
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter 1678
This deserves a sticky!

CURRENT DEVICES: XPERIA X10 MINI & IPHONE 5S
PAST DEVICES: XPERIA Z1

MY WORKS

JOIN ME ON GOOGLE+ COMMUNITY AND ADD ME ON GOOGLE+

surdu_petru
Old
(Last edited by surdu_petru; 16th March 2013 at 11:41 AM.)
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter 6210

DONATE TO ME
Hello !

Optimal charging Li-Ion batteries !
Huawei Ascend P6 | Quad Core 1.5GHz | 8GB | 2GB RAM ( Omni ROM 4.4.2 ! )
Motorola RAZR XT910 | Dual Core 1.2GHz | 16GB | 1GB RAM ( Pac - MAN 4.4.2 ! )
Sony Xperia Z | Quad Core Qualcomm® Snapdragon™ S4 Pro 1.5GHz | 16GB | 2GB RAM ( XperiaBlueLights)

If you find my work useful, feel free to hit the THANKS button below !
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to surdu_petru For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

SEFanX10i
Old
Thanks Meter 70
+1

Sticky this please !
The Following User Says Thank You to SEFanX10i For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

ethan3686
Old
Thanks Meter 62
Great thread..so useful..Please add the ACID ROM MOD for more sound through speakers..Its claiming to give XZ more loudness..not confirmed though!
The Following User Says Thank You to ethan3686 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

BoostedSR20
Old
(Last edited by BoostedSR20; 16th March 2013 at 02:44 PM.)
Thanks Meter 169
Default Re: [GUIDE] Things everybody should do with their Xperia Z after unboxing.

Thanks for the info, I'll be picking my Z up today. What about the APNs? Make any changes? I had planned on setting them up as outlined here: http://rootzwiki.com/topic/31135-att...r-custom-roms/

Also, what's all the hoopla about getting the notification LED to work properly? Read people saying you need to do a factory reset right away, then don't restore apps from Google.. Etc. Yours work okay?

Also from the way it sounds, the film *should* be removed from the screen, but should *not* from the back?

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 2
Samsung Galaxy S IV GT-I9500
Dell XPS 12
-----
My smartphone history
My cars, bikes, phones, and high powered lasers

doministry
Old
Thanks Meter 155
I don't believe all those batt formating things.
AFAIK those batterries are ready to be used without any crazy many days of formatting.
a w a r e
SE P800 P910 P990 P1 X1 X2 X10 LG E900 Xperia Arc X10 Mini Sony Xperia S, Xperia T, Xperia Z
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to doministry For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

Ame123
Old
Thanks Meter 51
Default Re: [GUIDE] Things everybody should do with their Xperia Z after unboxing.

Is there any other easiee root process?

Sent from my C6602 using xda app-developers app

Supersaiyan.IV
Old
(Last edited by Supersaiyan.IV; 16th March 2013 at 03:35 PM.)
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 163
Quote:
Originally Posted by BoostedSR20 View Post
Thanks for the info, I'll be picking my Z up today. What about the APNs? Make any changes? I had planned on setting them up as outlined here: http://rootzwiki.com/topic/31135-att...r-custom-roms/

Also, what's all the hoopla about getting the notification LED to work properly? Read people saying you need to do a factory reset right away, then don't restore apps from Google.. Etc. Yours work okay?

Also from the way it sounds, the film *should* be removed from the screen, but should *not* from the back?

I pragmatically tried to keep things simple, because it's so easy to unbeknownst 'dirty' a stock rom.
But there were two minor things I did directly after rooting, and those were:
Otherwise the only changes made since unboxing are the ones mentioned in the opening post.
This also means that I did not factory reset anything or remove any protective film. Such practices are a matter of taste and opinion. I did apply the supplied back-protective film though.
Apart from that - yes the notification LED works without troubles so far, and no I did not change any APN settings because this is a stock rom. What you linked covers APN settings for custom roms.

BoostedSR20
Old
(Last edited by BoostedSR20; 16th March 2013 at 04:00 PM.)
Thanks Meter 169

Quote:
Originally Posted by Supersaiyan.IV View Post
I pragmatically tried to keep things simple, because it's so easy to unbeknownst 'dirty' a stock rom.
But there were two minor things I did directly after rooting, and those were:
Otherwise the only changes made since unboxing are the ones mentioned in the opening post.
This also means that I did not factory reset anything or remove any protective film. Such practices are a matter of taste and opinion. I did apply the supplied back-protective film though.
Apart from that - yes the notification LED works without troubles so far, and no I did not change any APN settings because this is a stock rom. What you linked covers APN settings for custom roms.
Typically international phones do not come with these AT&T APN settings. Go take a peek and see what your on. I'm guessing wap.cingular?

I will also be doing a TB restore, but removing the front film.

EDIT: wait wait... I just realized you aren't in the USA.. So yeah, no use changing the APN settings. Tapatalk doesn't show the side bar info, and I just assumed. My apologies.

Samsung Galaxy S IV GT-I9500
Dell XPS 12
-----
My smartphone history
My cars, bikes, phones, and high powered lasers