Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,728,832 Members 50,516 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

KitKat battery drain fix

Tip us?

bodhi555
Old
Thanks Meter 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by fernando823 View Post
Hats off??? HEADS OFF I would say... after more than one month they should have a really good explanation. My phone was working perfectly before the damm update to 4.4 and it looks that is not googles fault.
This has happened because they have priority on Z1 and Z2, but one thing is taking more time to release the updates, and other very different leaving your phone useless after a update for more than one month....

I tried everything and the drain always come back.
Haven't had the battery drain since the updated Google Play Services landed to be honest, battery life on my Z is now excellent.

Relevant settings I have are:

Google Location Reporting ON
Location Services ON
DEVICE MODE ONLY, so uses the onboard GPS. I use this all the time for navigation and various Golf yardage apps, haven't had a problem in ages.

Not sure I'd lay the blame on Sony's door as a) other manufacturers are seeing this b) The Google update seems to have done wonders.

moelito
Old
Thanks Meter 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by bodhi555 View Post
Haven't had the battery drain since the updated Google Play Services landed to be honest, battery life on my Z is now excellent.

Relevant settings I have are:

Google Location Reporting ON
Location Services ON
DEVICE MODE ONLY, so uses the onboard GPS. I use this all the time for navigation and various Golf yardage apps, haven't had a problem in ages.

Not sure I'd lay the blame on Sony's door as a) other manufacturers are seeing this b) The Google update seems to have done wonders.
Same here, no drain at all with the same settings as you. The only drawback is that some of the Google now cards doesn't work.

Skickat från min C6603 via Tapatalk

RoberM
Old
Thanks Meter 84
I read all over the forums this battery drain bug is a Kit Kat bug introduced by Sony or Google, but the fact is that i have not updated to Kit Kat yet, and i am experiencing the same thing, Google Play Services are eating my battery since about a month ago, and it has been all of a sudden.

I thing Google really screwed up something, and i am sick of this situation. I love Sony and Xperia devices, but i am not sure my next phone will be an Android.

pbhat25
Old
Thanks Meter 0
You are correct RoberM. For my device the drain started as soon as Google Play was updated to version 4.8.20. I had to disable the location services to counter the battery drain. I am from India and I think we were the last ones to get the KK Update!!

I updated my firmware to KK but I have still not enabled the location service. I have observed on my phone that Bluetooth also takes a good amount of battery, about 25% now. I use SBH-20 everyday and this drain was not present in the earlier version.