ipmanwck
Old
Thanks Meter 308
Default Re: Got my Xperia Z today (Cos I'm in Japan) :P

Quote:
Originally Posted by recklesslife85 View Post
T3 say different http://www.t3.com/reviews/sony-xperia-z-review

Camera is great and the screen.
So your posting this as an actual statement ???? T3 say "the camera is great" and that's it. No evidence of why ? Jeez dude that's lame.
I wanna buy this phone but was waiting for reviews on camera. I just want it to be the best camera on a smartphone to date. Better than iphone 5 and sgs3. I currently own sgs2 and camera is not bad. I use it loads. Not many in depth reviews about camera yet. Will wait and see

Custom Stock Rom 4.0 Eternity
Stock but better

---------- Post added at 02:00 AM ---------- Previous post was at 01:58 AM ----------

Can we have some feedback from op re camera. How good ? Fast. Better than sgs2 and by how much. As good as one x as that camera is nice. Also as good as iPhone camera. Still good even now ?

Stock but better

xl VipeR lx
Old
Thanks Meter 2328

DONATE TO ME

Quote:
Originally Posted by ipmanwck View Post
So your posting this as an actual statement ???? T3 say "the camera is great" and that's it. No evidence of why ? Jeez dude that's lame.
I wanna buy this phone but was waiting for reviews on camera. I just want it to be the best camera on a smartphone to date. Better than iphone 5 and sgs3. I currently own sgs2 and camera is not bad. I use it loads. Not many in depth reviews about camera yet. Will wait and see

Stock but better

---------- Post added at 02:00 AM ---------- Previous post was at 01:58 AM ----------

Can we have some feedback from op re camera. How good ? Fast. Better than sgs2 and by how much. As good as one x as that camera is nice. Also as good as iPhone camera. Still good even now ?

Stock but better
One x camera is rubbish compared to this

Sent from my HTC One X using XDA Premium App
|HTC One Silver ||ROM: Stock ||KERNEL: Stock

|Previous Devices: HTC Touch HD, HD2, Xperia X10, Desire HD, Sensation, Samsung Galaxy S2, HTC ONE X, Xperia Z|

|CLICK HERE FOR MY XPERIA Z [NOOBS GUIDE] Create your own stock firmware FTF & Flashtool flashing guide[+ pics]|
|CLICK HERE FOR MY HTC SENSATION GUIDE TO S-OFF,(noobproof)|
|If you feel like buying me a Drink CLICK HERE
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to xl VipeR lx For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

xiFIL
Old
Thanks Meter 120
Quote:
Originally Posted by ipmanwck View Post

Stock but better

Stock but better
Camera is good, superior auto helps if you don't know what mode to take the picture in, there is a few problems that i have noticed however, sony processes it's images too strongly, you can tell when you zoom in the picture, perhaps they would have been better with 8mp but better compression and processing. There is occasionally a lot of noise in pictures depending on the conditions your in, HDR photos in dark scenes is terrible, but HDR photos in light scenes is amazing! The images range from 3MB to 8MB. Focusing on the device is amazing and the macro feature on it has noticeably improved since their previous flagship devices! Video mode is seriously amazing, its beyond anything i have expirienced in a long time! Coming from a galaxy note 2 and One X and S2, the xperia Z has an amazing camera, again HDR mode in low light condition makes the video look noisy and grainy! But HDR video in a bright scene add's more detail and clarity to an image! Overall the xperia Z's camera performs brilliantly both with pictures and video! A 1080P video at 10 mins was around 1.3GB! The video stabalisation helps the video, but sometimes alot of detail does not get processed and you can tell, when you playback! Depending on what you will use the xperia Z's camera for will determine how good it is for you! For someone like me who knows about camera's i know sometimes you may wan't the best camera on a device, but for someone like me who just takes pictures for instagram and twitter, the camera is more than good enough, but for others it's just not good enough, simply depends on what you will use the camera for!
TWRP touch v.2.4.1.0
Current ROM: Stock rooted (4.4) || Recovery: --- || Current Kernel: ----
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to xiFIL For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

fhsieh
Old
Thanks Meter 28
Got my Xperia Z (docomo SO-02E) last week. Some info, my early impressions, and some answers/confirmations:

Photos: http://imgur.com/a/XpgoM

Basic info:
  • Price: ~77,280yen (before fees). You get 1955yen ~ 3675yen discount per month, which is either applied towards the device (if you pay for it in installments), or credited to your account/monthly service (if you pay for the phone in full up-front). There are usually additional ~20,000yen cash back promotions if you shop around.
  • Package: includes matching dock, wired headset, and 1seg antenna (a short, 3.5mm "pass-through" cable). No AC adapter or USB cable. Some shops are throwing in free (basic) screen protectors.
  • SO-02E is both Bootloader locked and SIM locked. For a fee, docomo will SIM-unlock the device, but the bootloader will remain locked. It may still be possible to root (via FTF or other vulnerability), but so far nothing. Rooting the SO-02E will likely depend on what XDA does with the C6602/3 global versions.
  • Shipping ROM (docomo SO-02E 10.1.D.0.317) does not include screen calibration software or the new Stamina mode (see Battery life below).

I'm using:
Impressions:
  • Performance is excellent, no UI lag. With bloatware removed/disabled, the Z gets 20,000+ on AnTuTu. Under normal conditions, the phone can get slightly warm to the touch, but nothing bad.
  • Battery life is very good. With bloatware removed/disabled, there is nearly no battery drain in standby (see the flatlines in Battery Mix screenshot). Unsurprisingly, the display uses up a lot of power, but I have no difficulty in confirming the 4.5hr/1day+ estimate mentioned earlier. A lot of Japanese users are complaining about the lack of the new Stamina mode. I'd like to have fine-tuned control, but with all the bloatware gone, it's basically a non-issue given the battery performance so far.
    On another note, the Z recharges quite quickly. With a 1.5A charger, you can likely recharge the whole battery within 2-3 hours.
  • Screen quality is excellent. Color and sharpness are great thanks to BE2. Viewing angles are good. Blacks and saturation are no match compared to AMOLEDs (as expected), which some people may prefer.
    That said, there is a potentially big issue with the screen. Japanese users have found that in warm conditions, the pixels have a little trouble switching from black to white quickly, which can cause certain elements to turn purple-ish. This is most noticable when scrolling white text on black background. See: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m3V9XnHlLhw
    It's not clear if this is a widespread manufaturing defect, limited to only the first lots, or just something inherent to the LCD panel technology used.
  • Camera quality is very good under bright conditions. You can even get some bokeh with macro. With high ISO, image quality suffers significantly, as is typical of Sony's JPEG noise-reduction processing. But as a camera-phone, I have no complaints. (I normally carry around a separate camera, anyway).

Some accessories that are popular so far in Japan:
Rasta Banana: http://rbdirect.jp/rb/products/list....CH&name=SO-02E
Ray-Out: http://bonmarche.ray-out.co.jp/produ...tegory_id=1246
Apeiros tempered glass protector: https://apeiros.stores.jp/#!/items/5...ea70c12d000c6a
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to fhsieh For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

ethan3686
Old
Thanks Meter 60
No NFC tags? And what about creen clibration software?

dibdin
Old
Thanks Meter 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by ethan3686 View Post
No NFC tags? And what about creen clibration software?
xiFIL a member here, said that this will very likely arrive in a future update.
Proud owner of the htc One in black.

Warren.D
Old
Thanks Meter 37

Quote:
Originally Posted by fhsieh View Post
Got my Xperia Z (docomo SO-02E) last week. Some info, my early impressions, and some answers/confirmations:

Basic info:
  • Price: ~77,280yen (before fees). You get 1955yen ~ 3675yen discount per month, which is either applied towards the device (if you pay for it in installments), or credited to your account/monthly service (if you pay for the phone in full up-front). There are usually additional ~20,000yen cash back promotions if you shop around.
  • Package: includes matching dock, wired headset, and 1seg antenna (a short, 3.5mm "pass-through" cable). No AC adapter or USB cable. Some shops are throwing in free (basic) screen protectors.
  • SO-02E is both Bootloader locked and SIM locked. For a fee, docomo will SIM-unlock the device, but the bootloader will remain locked. It may still be possible to root (via FTF or other vulnerability), but so far nothing. Rooting the SO-02E will likely depend on what XDA does with the C6602/3 global versions.
  • Shipping ROM (docomo SO-02E 10.1.D.0.317) does not include screen calibration software or the new Stamina mode (see Battery life below).

I'm using:
Impressions:
  • Performance is excellent, no UI lag. With bloatware removed/disabled, the Z gets 20,000+ on AnTuTu. Under normal conditions, the phone can get slightly warm to the touch, but nothing bad.
  • Battery life is very good. With bloatware removed/disabled, there is nearly no battery drain in standby (see the flatlines in Battery Mix screenshot). Unsurprisingly, the display uses up a lot of power, but I have no difficulty in confirming the 4.5hr/1day+ estimate mentioned earlier. A lot of Japanese users are complaining about the lack of the new Stamina mode. I'd like to have fine-tuned control, but with all the bloatware gone, it's basically a non-issue given the battery performance so far.
    On another note, the Z recharges quite quickly. With a 1.5A charger, you can likely recharge the whole battery within 2-3 hours.
  • Screen quality is excellent. Color and sharpness are great thanks to BE2. Viewing angles are good. Blacks and saturation are no match compared to AMOLEDs (as expected), which some people may prefer.
    That said, there is a potentially big issue with the screen. Japanese users have found that in warm conditions, the pixels have a little trouble switching from black to white quickly, which can cause certain elements to turn purple-ish. This is most noticable when scrolling white text on black background. See: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m3V9XnHlLhw
    It's not clear if this is a widespread manufaturing defect, limited to only the first lots, or just something inherent to the LCD panel technology used.
  • Camera quality is very good under bright conditions. You can even get some bokeh with macro. With high ISO, image quality suffers significantly, as is typical of Sony's JPEG noise-reduction processing. But as a camera-phone, I have no complaints. (I normally carry around a separate camera, anyway).

Some accessories that are popular so far in Japan:
Rasta Banana: http://rbdirect.jp/rb/products/list....CH&name=SO-02E
Ray-Out: http://bonmarche.ray-out.co.jp/produ...tegory_id=1246
Apeiros tempered glass protector: https://apeiros.stores.jp/#!/items/5...ea70c12d000c6a
If that a blue spot on the screen?
(Watched video on phone)

Sent from my GT-I9300 using xda app-developers app
Current Smartphone... A Horrid... Samsung Galaxy S 3
Previously... HTC Touch Diamond 1, Sony Ericsson Xperia X1, HTC Touch Diamond 2, Samsung Galaxy S, HTC HD7, HTC Desire HD, Samsung Galaxy S 2, LG Optimus 4X HD, SONY Xperia Z.

Green = Liked
Red = Disliked

Soon to be Exchanging my SONY Xperia Z for a... HTC One

hush66
Old
Thanks Meter 322
Quote:
Originally Posted by fhsieh View Post

May I know what's the casing that you're using?

Warren.D
Old
Thanks Meter 37

Quote:
Originally Posted by hush66 View Post
Second that

Sent from my GT-I9300 using xda app-developers app
Current Smartphone... A Horrid... Samsung Galaxy S 3
Previously... HTC Touch Diamond 1, Sony Ericsson Xperia X1, HTC Touch Diamond 2, Samsung Galaxy S, HTC HD7, HTC Desire HD, Samsung Galaxy S 2, LG Optimus 4X HD, SONY Xperia Z.

Green = Liked
Red = Disliked

Soon to be Exchanging my SONY Xperia Z for a... HTC One

fhsieh
Old
Thanks Meter 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by Warren.D View Post
If that a blue spot on the screen?
If you're talking about the youtube video, I think it's just a piece of dust. The resolution on the Z is much too high (very small pixels) for a stuck pixel to be that big. But pay attention to the color shift of the text while scrolling.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hush66 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Warren.D View Post
Second that
Posted above, but it's a Ray-Out "Ultra Slim Matte Hard-Coating (2H) Shell Jacket", model RT-SO02EC21. AFAIK it's Japan-only, but it's widely available. Product page: http://ray-out.co.jp/products/so02ec21/

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to fhsieh For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]