5,597,397 Members 30,842 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

Xperia Z IPS Screen discussion [DISAPPOINTING!!!!! [UPDATED 18/02]

Tip us?

archheretic
Old
Thanks Meter 9
Default Re: Xperia Z IPS Screen PHENOMENAL with good viewing angles!!! [POST 1 UPDATED 13/02]

I just had a play with a demo unit at Sony centre in prahran, Melbourne. I don't know if it was a production model or not, but screen was really really nice. Saturation was great, it definitely wasn't washed out next to my s2. Feels awesome in the hand, not slippery at all. Didn't feel any bigger than the s3 in a good way. Any one got any other questions?

Sent from my GT-I9100 using xda premium
The Following User Says Thank You to archheretic For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

xl VipeR lx
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 2329

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by archheretic View Post
I just had a play with a demo unit at Sony centre in prahran, Melbourne. I don't know if it was a production model or not, but screen was really really nice. Saturation was great, it definitely wasn't washed out next to my s2. Feels awesome in the hand, not slippery at all. Didn't feel any bigger than the s3 in a good way. Any one got any other questions?

did the screen look like the videos in post 1
|HTC One Silver ||ROM: Stock ||KERNEL: Stock

|Previous Devices: HTC Touch HD, HD2, Xperia X10, Desire HD, Sensation, Samsung Galaxy S2, HTC ONE X, Xperia Z|

|CLICK HERE FOR MY XPERIA Z [NOOBS GUIDE] Create your own stock firmware FTF & Flashtool flashing guide[+ pics]|
|CLICK HERE FOR MY HTC SENSATION GUIDE TO S-OFF,(noobproof)|
|If you feel like buying me a Drink CLICK HERE

archheretic
Old
Thanks Meter 9
Default Re: Xperia Z IPS Screen PHENOMENAL with good viewing angles!!! [POST 1 UPDATED 13/02]

My 3g is having some issues in the area I'm in, so can't get videos to load to compare sorry. But can say I had no issues with viewing angles at all. I'm normally very picky with screens, and I think this is at least comparable to HTC one x screen in my brief hands on.hate the Sony launcher though, ugly as sin. Especially the app drawer, and animations are clunky between screens. Will definitely replace with apex or nova

DarkKrypt
Old
Thanks Meter 63
Default Re: Xperia Z IPS Screen PHENOMENAL with good viewing angles! [POST 1 VIDEOS UPDATED13

Quote:
I just had a play with a demo unit at Sony centre in prahran, Melbourne.

Cant wait im goin on Sunday to the nunawading store, cheers for the info
Sent from my LT26i using xda app-developers app

archheretic
Old
Thanks Meter 9
Default Re: Xperia Z IPS Screen PHENOMENAL with good viewing angles! [POST 1 VIDEOS UPDATED13

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkKrypt View Post
Cant wait im goin on Sunday to the nunawading store, cheers for the info
Sent from my LT26i using xda app-developers app
Yeah heard that they had one too. At prahran they had the power saver mode in, as well as stamina. I'm wondering if that's what caused the laggy screen transitions...even with a few widgets I'd expect the s4 pro to be smoother than it was. Wish I had time to try another launcher on it. In case anyone is interested, it had been on 3 days, 2 hours and was at 69 percent. 40 minutes screen time at full brightness. No SIM card in there though, was on WiFi. This will be the biggest factor for me, really need 3 hours plus screen on time on 4g.

xl VipeR lx
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 2329

DONATE TO ME

Quote:
Yeah heard that they had one too. At prahran they had the power saver mode in, as well as stamina. I'm wondering if that's what caused the laggy screen transitions...even with a few widgets I'd expect the s4 pro to be smoother than it was. Wish I had time to try another launcher on it. In case anyone is interested, it had been on 3 days, 2 hours and was at 69 percent. 40 minutes screen time at full brightness. No SIM card in there though, was on WiFi. This will be the biggest factor for me, really need 3 hours plus screen on time on 4g.

Remember these are not the final product. The final unit will be better. And yes power saver mode does try to conserve power

Sent from my HTC One X using XDA Premium App

|Previous Devices: HTC Touch HD, HD2, Xperia X10, Desire HD, Sensation, Samsung Galaxy S2, HTC ONE X, Xperia Z|

|CLICK HERE FOR MY XPERIA Z [NOOBS GUIDE] Create your own stock firmware FTF & Flashtool flashing guide[+ pics]|

Telomeresis
Old
(Last edited by Telomeresis; 13th February 2013 at 10:44 AM.) Reason: IPS trademark is patented... apparently.
Thanks Meter 6
Well, earlier today, I was at a Sony Concept store, and suffice to say... all the talk about bad-viewing angles is grossly exaggerated.

Coming from a Galaxy Note (AMOLED display), I'm extremely pleased with the Xperia Z.

Ignore this part. ->
It's not an IPS display, but for a TFT display, it's damn good. Off-center viewing angles aren't bad at all. Comparing it to older phones that lack an IPS display... that's BAD. (My previous iPhone 3GS comes to mind)
<- Ignore this part.

Quote:
Originally Posted by xl VipeR lx View Post
The Xperia Z DOES HAVE AN IPS DISPLAY. NOT ALL IPS DISPLAYS HAVE THE SAME VIEWING ANGLES.

Also, IPS is still TFT. It is an IPS TFT LCD.
Sony confirmed it in their blogs.

TFT LCD (Thin film transistor liquid crystal display) is a variant of liquid crystal display (LCD) which uses thin-film transistor (TFT) technology to improve image qualities such as addressability and contrast. TFT LCD is an active matrix LCD, in contrast to passive matrix LCDs

xl VipeR lx
Old
(Last edited by xl VipeR lx; 13th February 2013 at 10:29 AM.)
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 2329

DONATE TO ME

Quote:
Originally Posted by Telomeresis View Post
Well, earlier today, I was at a Sony Concept store, and suffice to say... all the talk about bad-viewing angles is grossly exaggerated.

Coming from a Galaxy Note (AMOLED display), I'm extremely pleased with the Xperia Z.

It's not an IPS display, but for a TFT display, it's damn good. Off-center viewing angles aren't bad at all. Comparing it to older phones that lack an IPS display... that's BAD. (My previous iPhone 3GS comes to mind)

The Xperia Z DOES HAVE AN IPS DISPLAY. NOT ALL IPS DISPLAYS HAVE THE SAME VIEWING ANGLES.

TFT LCD (Thin film transistor liquid crystal display) is a variant of liquid crystal display (LCD) which uses thin-film transistor (TFT) technology to improve image qualities such as addressability and contrast. TFT LCD is an active matrix LCD, in contrast to passive matrix LCDs

Telomeresis
Old
Thanks Meter 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by xl VipeR lx View Post

Chill, I corrected my post.

xl VipeR lx
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 2329

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by Telomeresis View Post
Chill, I corrected my post.
lol im joking about, just over excited and anxious to get mine on the 28th, the videos i have seen off youtube so far of the production models, man that screem seems to beat my one x hands down.

THREAD CLOSED
Subscribe