5,595,760 Members 39,445 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

Xperia Z IPS Screen discussion [DISAPPOINTING!!!!! [UPDATED 18/02]

Tip us?

emorej
Old
Thanks Meter 44
I guess screen will look washed-out if you put the phone on full brightness, reducing it to 50-70% will give you a better quality. Thats always the case in some phones. And it will also depend on wallpapers used, some wallpapers like lighter one will make the display look wahed out.

xl VipeR lx
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 2328

DONATE TO ME
Default Re: Xperia Z IPS Screen PHENOMENAL with good viewing angles! [POST 1 VIDEOS UPDATED13

Quote:
Originally Posted by emorej View Post
I guess screen will look washed-out if you put the phone on full brightness, reducing it to 50-70% will give you a better quality. Thats always the case in some phones. And it will also depend on wallpapers used, some wallpapers like lighter one will make the display look wahed out.
Possibly, but one of the xda users works for vodafone, they have a production dev unit. The screen quality is on par or better than one . Feedback so far is 70 percent brightness is optimal. Anything more than that is for outdoor use

Sent from my HTC One X using XDA Premium App
|HTC One Silver ||ROM: Stock ||KERNEL: Stock

|Previous Devices: HTC Touch HD, HD2, Xperia X10, Desire HD, Sensation, Samsung Galaxy S2, HTC ONE X, Xperia Z|

|CLICK HERE FOR MY XPERIA Z [NOOBS GUIDE] Create your own stock firmware FTF & Flashtool flashing guide[+ pics]|
|CLICK HERE FOR MY HTC SENSATION GUIDE TO S-OFF,(noobproof)|
|If you feel like buying me a Drink CLICK HERE

emorej
Old
Thanks Meter 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by xl VipeR lx View Post
Possibly, but one of the xda users works for vodafone, they have a production dev unit. The screen quality is on par or better than one . Feedback so far is 70 percent brightness is optimal. Anything more than that is for outdoor use

Agree with that, full brightness in any phone will just wash out the screen and its not good in the eye, there should be balance to get the optimized screen. Most of the youtube video reviews sometimes are using phones at full brightness.

xl VipeR lx
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 2328

DONATE TO ME
Default Re: Xperia Z IPS Screen PHENOMENAL with good viewing angles! [POST 1 VIDEOS UPDATED13

Also the z screen is supposedly
Very bright

|Previous Devices: HTC Touch HD, HD2, Xperia X10, Desire HD, Sensation, Samsung Galaxy S2, HTC ONE X, Xperia Z|

|CLICK HERE FOR MY XPERIA Z [NOOBS GUIDE] Create your own stock firmware FTF & Flashtool flashing guide[+ pics]|

androidindian
Old
Thanks Meter 803
whoaaa!

Eddiemc
Old
Thanks Meter 248

Quote:
Originally Posted by xl VipeR lx View Post
Also the z screen is supposedly
Very bright

Do you have any source for this?
Not to doubt you, just because I'm very curious to how this phone will act outside in direct sunlight.
Reflections, brightness, etc, most of my previous smartphones suck to use outside, so I'm very curious if Sony has made the z any better (or worse for that matter).

dibdin
Old
Thanks Meter 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddiemc View Post
Do you have any source for this?
Not to doubt you, just because I'm very curious to how this phone will act outside in direct sunlight.
Reflections, brightness, etc, most of my previous smartphones suck to use outside, so I'm very curious if Sony has made the z any better (or worse for that matter).
My Arc and S fared pretty well all told in direct sunlight, so I like to think the Z will fare even better.
Proud owner of the htc One in black.

Ambroos
Old
Thanks Meter 867
Maximum brightness is similar to the Xperia S, but sunlight legibility is a bit better.
Sony Xperia Z1 - C6903, black - proud Sony (Ericsson) user
History: J210i, K320i, G705, Arc, Elm, Neo, Arc S, Xperia S, Xperia T, Xperia Z, Xperia Z1 (current)

katamari201
Old
Thanks Meter 142
Get over it people. The reviews are in. Check out the reviews thread. The viewing angles suck big time. Just like the CEs models. And all the ahnds-on pre-production models. It was delusional to think Sony had some "cheaper" 1080p screen lying around to show to the press during CES, and mere weeks before launch in Japan. The panel is not IPS. NOT IPS. People smokin' crack. IPS panels have varying color shift and brightness changes off-center depending on the panel, but it doesn't get washed out. That's kind of the whole point of IPS. Like saying an AMOLED panel has bad blacks. Equally ridiculous.

The display in the Xperia Z is currently the worst of the 5" 1080p displays. The HTC Butterfly/DNA and OPPO Find 5 have true IPS displays. The Xperia Z display also has poor blacks and poor brightness output for an LCD display in general, aside from the poor viewing angles and drab colors. Devices like the upcoming HTC M7 and Galaxy S IV are guaranteed to have far better 1080p displays.

Another disappointment is the 13MP camera. It's not noticeably better than last year's phones. The quad-core krait is hardly new. Several phones already have it, dozens more will show up in a few months, and by the holiday season you'll see it in mid-range budget phones. There will be 8-core phones at the top tier, like the upcoming Exynos.

If you are going to get this phone, know that this is more of an appetizer phone than the main course for 2013. LG is usually dablling in this area. The G2x was the harbinger of (much) better dual-core phones. The Optimus 4x to quad-core 720p phones. They were never the stars, and cobbled together quickly to be the first ones out the door.

The Xperia Z has a very interesting chassis, but the screen is subpar if you ignore the 1080p resolution and the camera isn't even an upgrade at all. You should wait for something better. Much better. I'm interested in either the HTC M7 or the coming Nokia Lumia with true PureView.

xl VipeR lx
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 2328

DONATE TO ME

Quote:
Originally Posted by katamari201 View Post
Get over it people. The reviews are in. Check out the reviews thread. The viewing angles suck big time. Just like the CEs models. And all the ahnds-on pre-production models. It was delusional to think Sony had some "cheaper" 1080p screen lying around to show to the press during CES, and mere weeks before launch in Japan. The panel is not IPS. NOT IPS. People smokin' crack. IPS panels have varying color shift and brightness changes off-center depending on the panel, but it doesn't get washed out. That's kind of the whole point of IPS. Like saying an AMOLED panel has bad blacks. Equally ridiculous.

The display in the Xperia Z is currently the worst of the 5" 1080p displays. The HTC Butterfly/DNA and OPPO Find 5 have true IPS displays. The Xperia Z display also has poor blacks and poor brightness output for an LCD display in general, aside from the poor viewing angles and drab colors. Devices like the upcoming HTC M7 and Galaxy S IV are guaranteed to have far better 1080p displays.

Another disappointment is the 13MP camera. It's not noticeably better than last year's phones. The quad-core krait is hardly new. Several phones already have it, dozens more will show up in a few months, and by the holiday season you'll see it in mid-range budget phones. There will be 8-core phones at the top tier, like the upcoming Exynos.

If you are going to get this phone, know that this is more of an appetizer phone than the main course for 2013. LG is usually dablling in this area. The G2x was the harbinger of (much) better dual-core phones. The Optimus 4x to quad-core 720p phones. They were never the stars, and cobbled together quickly to be the first ones out the door.

The Xperia Z has a very interesting chassis, but the screen is subpar if you ignore the 1080p resolution and the camera isn't even an upgrade at all. You should wait for something better. Much better. I'm interested in either the HTC M7 or the coming Nokia Lumia with true PureView.
And you have seen a production model?

THREAD CLOSED
Subscribe