Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,732,310 Members 45,184 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

Xperia Z IPS Screen discussion [DISAPPOINTING!!!!! [UPDATED 18/02]

Tip us?

busterdev
Old
Thanks Meter 31
how can you guarantee yhat the m7 & sIV are going to have better screens?

13mp cam does look better in low light though.

you really want to compare LG's phones with the Z? ...really

you can wait all you want, there will always be some phone that will be better. you logic is bust

stefanve
Old
Thanks Meter 168
Quote:
Originally Posted by katamari201 View Post
Get over it people. The reviews are in. Check out the reviews thread. The viewing angles suck big time. Just like the CEs models. And all the ahnds-on pre-production models. It was delusional to think Sony had some "cheaper" 1080p screen lying around to show to the press during CES, and mere weeks before launch in Japan. The panel is not IPS. NOT IPS. People smokin' crack. IPS panels have varying color shift and brightness changes off-center depending on the panel, but it doesn't get washed out. That's kind of the whole point of IPS. Like saying an AMOLED panel has bad blacks. Equally ridiculous.

The display in the Xperia Z is currently the worst of the 5" 1080p displays. The HTC Butterfly/DNA and OPPO Find 5 have true IPS displays. The Xperia Z display also has poor blacks and poor brightness output for an LCD display in general, aside from the poor viewing angles and drab colors. Devices like the upcoming HTC M7 and Galaxy S IV are guaranteed to have far better 1080p displays.

Another disappointment is the 13MP camera. It's not noticeably better than last year's phones. The quad-core krait is hardly new. Several phones already have it, dozens more will show up in a few months, and by the holiday season you'll see it in mid-range budget phones. There will be 8-core phones at the top tier, like the upcoming Exynos.

If you are going to get this phone, know that this is more of an appetizer phone than the main course for 2013. LG is usually dablling in this area. The G2x was the harbinger of (much) better dual-core phones. The Optimus 4x to quad-core 720p phones. They were never the stars, and cobbled together quickly to be the first ones out the door.

The Xperia Z has a very interesting chassis, but the screen is subpar if you ignore the 1080p resolution and the camera isn't even an upgrade at all. You should wait for something better. Much better. I'm interested in either the HTC M7 or the coming Nokia Lumia with true PureView.
It's is a ips panel and most reviews aren't concerned by the viewing angles. The reason why the viewing angles aren't great is due to the screen protector (breaking of light etc). Apart from the fact that I think that Samsung phones are ugly and uses cheap plastic a 8 core cpu is a waste in a telephone. And we even don't know if a 8 core cpu is going to be in the s4.

That being said. To each his own so if you don't like it don't buy it

arcwindz
Old
Thanks Meter 3
Quote:
Get over it people. The reviews are in. Check out the reviews thread. The viewing angles suck big time. Just like the CEs models. And all the ahnds-on pre-production models. It was delusional to think Sony had some "cheaper" 1080p screen lying around to show to the press during CES, and mere weeks before launch in Japan. The panel is not IPS. NOT IPS. People smokin' crack. IPS panels have varying color shift and brightness changes off-center depending on the panel, but it doesn't get washed out. That's kind of the whole point of IPS. Like saying an AMOLED panel has bad blacks. Equally ridiculous.

The display in the Xperia Z is currently the worst of the 5" 1080p displays. The HTC Butterfly/DNA and OPPO Find 5 have true IPS displays. The Xperia Z display also has poor blacks and poor brightness output for an LCD display in general, aside from the poor viewing angles and drab colors. Devices like the upcoming HTC M7 and Galaxy S IV are guaranteed to have far better 1080p displays.

Another disappointment is the 13MP camera. It's not noticeably better than last year's phones. The quad-core krait is hardly new. Several phones already have it, dozens more will show up in a few months, and by the holiday season you'll see it in mid-range budget phones. There will be 8-core phones at the top tier, like the upcoming Exynos.

If you are going to get this phone, know that this is more of an appetizer phone than the main course for 2013. LG is usually dablling in this area. The G2x was the harbinger of (much) better dual-core phones. The Optimus 4x to quad-core 720p phones. They were never the stars, and cobbled together quickly to be the first ones out the door.

The Xperia Z has a very interesting chassis, but the screen is subpar if you ignore the 1080p resolution and the camera isn't even an upgrade at all. You should wait for something better. Much better. I'm interested in either the HTC M7 or the coming Nokia Lumia with true PureView.
It got everything I need, and i'm tired of the waiting game. Good screen (not the best probably), good developer support, good build quality, sd slot, fluid enough, okay battery life, usb host support, and even FM receiver. the only minus is the non-removable battery
There will always be something better around the corner, I'll be waiting forever if I want the best lol

omersak
Old
Thanks Meter 249
from phonearena review:

"In terms of image quality, the display is quite good, although not necessarily as good as the very best. For example, its contrast could be a little higher and the colors could be a bit more saturated. You know, just to make things a bit livelier. Outdoor visibility is OK, you won't have problems there as long as the brightness is set to the max and the sun isn't directly reflected in the screen. The viewing angles, however, could also be a tad better. Overall, it's an awesome display that will make all kinds of activities super-fun, though Sony will have to do a bit more tweaking if it wants to be as good as the big boys of the industry.

Sony has also implemented its Mobile BRAVIA 2 engine, which aims to enhance certain settings in order to make media content appear better on the screen. We've tried older Sony handsets with BRAVIA engine and have to say that images really get that extra edge thanks to the enhancement. Sadly, this only works when viewing images or video with the respective apps, so if you're, for example, viewing pictures inside the web browser or in Facebook, those won't benefit from the BRAVIA 2 enhancements"

http://www.phonearena.com/reviews/So...-Review_id3247
3310 > 3330 > 6100 > k500i > 6630 > 5700XM > N95 8gb > N81 8gb > Samsung i550 > N79 > 5800XM > iPhone 3gs > HTC Desire > Galaxy S > Nexus S > iPhone 4 > Galaxy S II > HTC Sensation + Xperia Play > iPhone 4s + Galaxy Nexus + Galaxy S III > Lumia 800 + One X > Galaxy Note II + iPhone 5 + Padfone 2 > Xperia Z > One m7 > Xperia Z1 >Nexus 5 > Galaxy S5 > One m8 > Xperia Z2 + G3

Nokia: 10
Samsung: 6
HTC: 5
Sony: 5
Apple: 4
Nexus: 3
Asus: 1
LG: 1

xl VipeR lx
Old
(Last edited by xl VipeR lx; 13th February 2013 at 06:01 PM.)
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 2375

DONATE TO ME
Exactly i for one don't doubt sony would have used cheaper materials for pre-production units simply for the fact Sony wanted to be the first flagship of the year and try and capture the market at CES before the other flagships are released,

Also sony confirmed they are using Japan Display Inc as they hold shares in it, and ti is cheaper, they manufacture IPS displays,

Sony had to make a non removable battery handset to keep the handset waterproof and get its IP rating

I for one believe we shoud stop speculating on pre-production models and wait til the 1st March, the videos on post one look good enough and satisfies me

then we can complain or not abot the screens, but for now everyone stop crying over viewing angles lol, we're not gangsters looking at the screen sideways, and looking at the youtube videos anyway it has pretty good viewing angles, if you want anything better once it is released then maybe a different handset would suit you
|HTC One Silver ||ROM: Stock ||KERNEL: Stock

|Previous Devices: HTC Touch HD, HD2, Xperia X10, Desire HD, Sensation, Samsung Galaxy S2, HTC ONE X, Xperia Z|

|CLICK HERE FOR MY XPERIA Z [NOOBS GUIDE] Create your own stock firmware FTF & Flashtool flashing guide[+ pics]|
|CLICK HERE FOR MY HTC SENSATION GUIDE TO S-OFF,(noobproof)|
|If you feel like buying me a Drink CLICK HERE

unknown13x
Old
Thanks Meter 241
Just here to give my 2 cents.

Sony's display on mid to high-end models will be using WhiteMagic displays that are made by JDI. XperiaBlog had an article about it a while ago, and I can confirm that it is true. Now the question is whether it is an IPS display. Yes, to a certain point. It's not a full blown IPS like Apple's, but a cheaper version where it can crank out enough contrast and don't have color invert when going on extreme angles. It does suffer some wash out due to the extra white pixel that's illuminating the screen, and also being a lower-end of IPS (if you want to know, read up e-IPS).

Just because someone says it has an IPS screen doesn't mean it can go to extreme viewing angles. It just prevents any loss or color shifts to a certain degree, and all depends on the quality. The question is now is this new screen any good at all then? Yes, it's using significantly less power compared to a true IPS displays. The benefit of using a true IPS compared to battery life is definitely not worth it, especially when you have 1080p screen. That's the whole point in companies now moving towards e-IPS displays. No one's going to be watching a movie on the sides all the time right?

Now, I've received some comments from people trying to disprove my credibility on another site about WhiteMagic is Mobile Bravia Engine 2. Yes, I do know they're separate, WhiteMagic being hardware, MBE2 being software, I'm not stupid. But MBE2 has been optimized to work best on the WhiteMagic screens. That's the reason why Sony used MBE2 first on the V, that's due to the new WhiteMagic screen and that it's optimized specially for this type of screen. They go hand in hand. Why doesn't Sony advertise the term anymore? Because in the end, it becomes irrelevant and people can't darn tell the difference, and there are other terms that they rather market them.
Sony Xperia S

Sony Ericsson Xperia X10

Sony Ericsson Xperia Neo
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to unknown13x For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

stefanve
Old
(Last edited by stefanve; 13th February 2013 at 07:28 PM.)
Thanks Meter 168
Quote:
Originally Posted by unknown13x View Post
Just here to give my 2 cents.

Sony's display on mid to high-end models will be using WhiteMagic displays that are made by JDI. XperiaBlog had an article about it a while ago, and I can confirm that it is true. Now the question is whether it is an IPS display. Yes, to a certain point. It's not a full blown IPS like Apple's, but a cheaper version where it can crank out enough contrast and don't have color invert when going on extreme angles. It does suffer some wash out due to the extra white pixel that's illuminating the screen, and also being a lower-end of IPS (if you want to know, read up e-IPS).

Just because someone says it has an IPS screen doesn't mean it can go to extreme viewing angles. It just prevents any loss or color shifts to a certain degree, and all depends on the quality. The question is now is this new screen any good at all then? Yes, it's using significantly less power compared to a true IPS displays. The benefit of using a true IPS compared to battery life is definitely not worth it, especially when you have 1080p screen. That's the whole point in companies now moving towards e-IPS displays. No one's going to be watching a movie on the sides all the time right?

Now, I've received some comments from people trying to disprove my credibility on another site about WhiteMagic is Mobile Bravia Engine 2. Yes, I do know they're separate, WhiteMagic being hardware, MBE2 being software, I'm not stupid. But MBE2 has been optimized to work best on the WhiteMagic screens. That's the reason why Sony used MBE2 first on the V, that's due to the new WhiteMagic screen and that it's optimized specially for this type of screen. They go hand in hand. Why doesn't Sony advertise the term anymore? Because in the end, it becomes irrelevant and people can't darn tell the difference, and there are other terms that they rather market them.
the z doesn't use a rgbw panel put a rgb panel. So it doesn't have WhiteMagic.
When the panel was first presented JDI sayed it would get a rgbw layout, but in the end it wasn't included in the production version (of the panel).

Edit: forgot to say that the z is using a ips panel and it is the latest greatest of jdi

ZeDestructor
Old
Thanks Meter 54
Quote:

I have 2 S-IPS screens (Dell U2410s). I get contrast and saturation loss at extreme angles. Given the pixel density, the increased number of layers in front of the TFT matrix (screen+glue+glass+digitizer+plastic protector vs screen+hardcoat anti-glare on my U2410) and the physically smaller backlight (meaning less room to fit a high-performance part), its not entirely surprising that the screen here performs somewhat below market expectations when tuned for colour accuracy. I look forward to Anandtech testing this one with their full set of spectrometers and colourmeters and reporting the results. Especially the calibrated results since the XZ has a calibration tool.
Current: Sony Xperia Z1 (C6903, the international LTE-enabled variant)
Previous: Sony Xperia Z (C6603 Intl LTE), Nexus S GSM S-LCD (GT-i9023), Nokia N82, Nokia N81, Nokia 6600

Gitaroo
Old
Thanks Meter 37
why cant they just make bravia engine 2 always on? Battery concern? They should at least include an option to force it always on for ppl that don't care about battery life.

unknown13x
Old
Thanks Meter 241
Quote:
Originally Posted by stefanve View Post
the z doesn't use a rgbw panel put a rgb panel. So it doesn't have WhiteMagic.
When the panel was first presented JDI sayed it would get a rgbw layout, but in the end it wasn't included in the production version (of the panel).
Obviously they don't make one type of panel within one company. JDI makes wide variety of panels at the moment, and the panel that you mentioned doesn't necessarily been put on certain products. At the end of the day, they still manufacture screens to specs just like other manufacturers. Sony have been pursuing using this panel as a standard since the P.
Sony Xperia S

Sony Ericsson Xperia X10

Sony Ericsson Xperia Neo

THREAD CLOSED
Subscribe