XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

Xperia z reviews

Tip us?

recklesslife85
Old
Thanks Meter 220
Quote:
Originally Posted by Al Gore View Post
Haha, the One X+ does not do over 6 hours, they must make these things up on the spot.

Fasty12
Old
Thanks Meter 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by XDA mark View Post
Well, I'm waiting for next Monday when my XZ arives. But today, I actually found a store in Holland which had a "demo" model (just one they took out of the box).

I'm very "serious" and way to obsessed about phone's, so people that are like me might value my "first feelings". For the records, I only used it for max 5 minutes.

• I am NOT cancelling my pre-order, first of all.

•The screen:

First impression of 5 minutes: it's not that bad at all. It's good enough for me (read: crazy guy wanting high quality stuff) to keep my pre-order.

- From the front: it's looks very good. First of all, it somehow "looked" significantly larger then my S3's 4.8" screen. Didn't expect so much difference with that 0.2". The screen looks sharp and the colours look very nice. The brightness is not very high, though it's high enough for me. I never use my device at maximum brightness so it's really fine. I watched one video that was pre-loaded on the XZ and that looked AMAZING. Actually I was together with 2 other friends: one with an iPhone 4S, one with an One X and my with my S3. We all agreed: the 1080p screen playing that 1080p video was just brilliant. And our current devices have one of the best displays to date.

- The viewing angles: not that bad as I expected. I saw some very bad pictures of the viewing angles and I was expecting worse. It gets kind of a "gray glow" when viewing from an angle, though it was weird. I have never seen such a "viewing angle distorsion" as on the Z, it's different then the normal distorsion I usually see. It's not a bad thing per-se. And it's definatly not a deal breaker to me.

Conclusion: the screen looks good enough when viewing from the front for that small viewing angle "glow" to be a deal breaker.

• Performance: I'm going to keep this short: fast. It was just fast and smooth. Yes, maybe a small "microlag" once in a while, but my Galaxy S3 running CM10.1 has the same. Nothing to disturb you during usage. One thing: it took kind of long for the camera app to open. Though I really believe it's just software that isn't optimized.

• Software: like on the T, the Z has IMO the best looking UI. Looked and performed good. Really liked the small widgets like calculator and notes.

• Camera: looked good, really didn't have the time to make a good judgement on this. But it is at least as good as the S3 camera. The camera interface was very good and fluid: really nice in real life.

• Build quality: it felt good, solid. Not to heavy not to light. We actually got to peel of the back plastic from the device and it looked very nice. A much more elegant device then the Galaxy S3 (and the OneX / iPhone 4S as well, my friends said). There was a small sticker on the back but that can be taken off.

• Other things: I was suprised when first seeing the XZ. Somehow, I expected it to look/feel different. In real life, it somehow looks "larger". Though I put my S3 on it and it's about the same size! Very weird, maybe because the screen is bigger or because the device is so clean (without buttons etc). Me and my friends had no problems holding it with one hand and using it. While playing the pre-loaded video, I didn't hear anything regarding the speaker that would have been so bad/good to notice.

Also, the sides come "over" the screen. So you can actually feel the sides when touching the screen and you go to the sides. Don't know exactly how to explain it, but it's something I didn't expect.

• FINAL NOTE: I spend very little time with the Z, because the man was looking at us like we were retarded. But I tried to check everything to be sure of my pre-order and I think I did. I am not cancelling my pre-order. This also because the HTC One has not impressed me design wise and I don't like HTC Sense at all, and v5 seems even worse. I also don't expect wonders of the Galaxy S4 design wise. I really want a beautiful, different looking phone this year (they all got horsepower/large high res screens). The fact that I can poor water over my premium phone will also turn some heads, which is a small but nice thing.

I am way to "serious" about phone's and what they mean to me. But the XZ is good enough for me. It's just what I saw and think, maybe some people will value me posting this. Don't base your entire purchase on what I say though, since you might think otherwise about the Z! (anyway, I can't imagine people that are much more obsessed about phones then me lol)
Darn It!!! Micro lag!!! Where did you experienced this and is it like a stuttering or frame drop?

XDA mark
Old
Thanks Meter 464
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fasty12 View Post
Darn It!!! Micro lag!!! Where did you experienced this and is it like a stuttering or frame drop?
Hmmm, I don't know. It was during using the homescreen. Though those 5 minutes went so fast, I can't EXACTLY remember if it was a stuttering or frame drop. Anyway, it was really really as good as nothing. And in 5 minutes it happened like one or two times max.

My friend that has owned only iPhone's till now didn't say anything about the performance when using it. It was smooth and fast. And iOS is smooth as hell, so he would have said something about it if it really was a problem.

I used to be so crazy about performance but these once in a while "micro-lags" didn't bother me at all. And when I buy a phone, I know I will always improve the performance/battery life with custom ROMs/kernels.
HTC ONE (M7) 32GB
ROM: ARHD v31 (4.3)

Galaxy S3 16GB + 32GB sdcard
ROM: ARHD v40 (4.3)

My theme's
Black Ops 2 theme
WP8 Metro theme
Mac OS theme
Other theme's including Assassin's Creed 3, Final Fantasy 7/8 & Metal Gear Solid

History: HTC HD2 -> HTC Desire -> Samsung Galaxy S II, Galaxy S III, HTC One.
The Following User Says Thank You to XDA mark For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

Ambroos
Old
Thanks Meter 867
The only case of slight stutter happens when you scroll to a homescreen with two or three heavy widgets (weather/calendar/Walkman/...) when they aren't loaded. Doesn't occur much since once you've scrolled to them they stay in memory for ages. This problem doesn't seem to occur with other launchers so it might just be a tiny bug.

Aside that I haven't been able to spot a single bit of delay or lag in any app. I'm very, very impressed.
Sony Xperia Z1 - C6903, black - proud Sony (Ericsson) user
History: J210i, K320i, G705, Arc, Elm, Neo, Arc S, Xperia S, Xperia T, Xperia Z, Xperia Z1 (current)
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Ambroos For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

Fasty12
Old
Thanks Meter 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ambroos View Post
The only case of slight stutter happens when you scroll to a homescreen with two or three heavy widgets (weather/calendar/Walkman/...) when they aren't loaded. Doesn't occur much since once you've scrolled to them they stay in memory for ages. This problem doesn't seem to occur with other launchers so it might just be a tiny bug.

Aside that I haven't been able to spot a single bit of delay or lag in any app. I'm very, very impressed.
Good to hear man! One small favor though. Could you try opening gmaps and tell me if it drop frame? On the nexus 10 it did this 100% of the time.

Shasarak
Old
Thanks Meter 124
Quote:
Originally Posted by XDA mark View Post
I watched one video that was pre-loaded on the XZ and that looked AMAZING. Actually I was together with 2 other friends: one with an iPhone 4S, one with an One X and my with my S3. We all agreed: the 1080p screen playing that 1080p video was just brilliant. And our current devices have one of the best displays to date.
Pre-loaded videos on phones can be extremely misleading. They're always very carefully designed to make the display look good, and will be specially customised to compensate for the display's deficiencies. So, for example, if the display's colour temperature is shifted towards blue, then normal videos will appear blue-ish when played; but the pre-loaded video will have had every pixel in every frame deliberately shifted towards the red, so that when it plays back it looks perfect. If the display has poor contrast then the video will deliberately be tweaked towards extremes of brightness and darkness to conceal that. And so on.

XDA mark
Old
Thanks Meter 464
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shasarak View Post
Pre-loaded videos on phones can be extremely misleading. They're always very carefully designed to make the display look good, and will be specially customised to compensate for the display's deficiencies. So, for example, if the display's colour temperature is shifted towards blue, then normal videos will appear blue-ish when played; but the pre-loaded video will have had every pixel in every frame deliberately shifted towards the red, so that when it plays back it looks perfect. If the display has poor contrast then the video will deliberately be tweaked towards extremes of brightness and darkness to conceal that. And so on.
True. But even when using the homescreen the screen looked good. I think the HTC One's screen is better (though smaller), but the Z's screen was a real looker as well. I haven't used it for more then a few minutes but really when I saw it all my worries went away: it's not that "horrible" as the internet seems to say. It's a really fine screen, I mean it's still 5" of 1080p res.. how have we come to complaint about such an achievement on a mobile phone?
HTC ONE (M7) 32GB
ROM: ARHD v31 (4.3)

Galaxy S3 16GB + 32GB sdcard
ROM: ARHD v40 (4.3)

My theme's
Black Ops 2 theme
WP8 Metro theme
Mac OS theme
Other theme's including Assassin's Creed 3, Final Fantasy 7/8 & Metal Gear Solid

History: HTC HD2 -> HTC Desire -> Samsung Galaxy S II, Galaxy S III, HTC One.

busterdev
Old
Thanks Meter 31
2 microlags on 5 minutes usage is not a good average.
probably just laucher issue. apex/nova can fix that
worse is the camera app start up time. timing can be everything in photo shooting
hope that will be better

Ambroos
Old
Thanks Meter 867
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fasty12 View Post
Good to hear man! One small favor though. Could you try opening gmaps and tell me if it drop frame? On the nexus 10 it did this 100% of the time.
Veeeery slightly and only if you open Google Maps from a cold start, probably because it already starts loading before the animation is finished. If you don't exit it with back and later return it's 100% butter.

The camera is indeed slow to open (which is very weird considering it was really fast on last years devices). Sometimes takes 4 seconds.
Sony Xperia Z1 - C6903, black - proud Sony (Ericsson) user
History: J210i, K320i, G705, Arc, Elm, Neo, Arc S, Xperia S, Xperia T, Xperia Z, Xperia Z1 (current)

cooltranier13px
Old
Thanks Meter 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ambroos View Post

Can you tell me if the stock Albums app syncs with Google+ photos and ablums?