Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,810,679 Members 41,858 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] [4.4/KK][10.5.A.0.230] Android/data and obb folder on external sd card

Tip us?

andiling
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Default [Q] [4.4/KK][10.5.A.0.230] Android/data and obb folder on external sd card

Hi There,
I updated yesterday to KitKat (Commercial And Journalists version).
Since then I noticed that on the external storage Android creates folders such as Android/data, Android/obb and fills them up with several root folders for apps though they are not used. Within those root folders KitKat creates then a files, cache or files/cache folder which remains empty. In the obb section the root folder remains empty. Same is with DCIM which I don't need as I use internal storage for my photos.
Our XZ has enough internal storage which I use for all such things and I don't need to fill up my sd cards, which usually have media on it. If I use that card later in another device such as in my car I have that silly folders appearing...
Is there any chance to get rid of those empty directories and prevent Android doing so as it was no issue up to 4.3?
Thx for help!
Best Regards,
Andreas
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_2014-05-22-05-57-14.png
Views:	153
Size:	218.2 KB
ID:	2756699   Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_2014-05-22-05-57-30.png
Views:	122
Size:	143.0 KB
ID:	2756700  

androidfreak70
Old
Thanks Meter 425

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by andiling View Post
Hi There,
I updated yesterday to KitKat (Commercial And Journalists version).
Since then I noticed that on the external storage Android creates folders such as Android/data, Android/obb and fills them up with several root folders for apps though they are not used. Within those root folders KitKat creates then a files, cache or files/cache folder which remains empty. In the obb section the root folder remains empty. Same is with DCIM which I don't need as I use internal storage for my photos.
Our XZ has enough internal storage which I use for all such things and I don't need to fill up my sd cards, which usually have media on it. If I use that card later in another device such as in my car I have that silly folders appearing...
Is there any chance to get rid of those empty directories and prevent Android doing so as it was no issue up to 4.3?
Thx for help!
Best Regards,
Andreas
Try a game with obb file. And put the obb in external sd then install apk. If the game worked so you got free internal to external app made from nothing LOL

Sorry for bad EN
THATS FROM MY XPERIA™ Z
RUNNING ROM
C6602
Android 4.4.4
Stock Omni kernel
Xposed modules

---------------------------------------------------
don't forget hit thanks if helped
-----------------------------------------------------
and ALWAYS QUOTE my posts if you replying to my post!

andiling
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by androidfreak70 View Post
Try a game with obb file. And put the obb in external sd then install apk. If the game worked so you got free internal to external app made from nothing LOL

Sorry for bad EN
Interesting idea... but it does not work. The app fc and only starts once I moved the obb part from external to internal.

If anyone has more ideas. (-:

androidfreak70
Old
Thanks Meter 425

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Interesting idea... but it does not work. The app fc and only starts once I moved the obb part from external to internal.

If anyone has more ideas. (-:
App FC means the obb not found(sometimes the app say need to download bla bla...) So you should put them is internal memory.
If you installed any apps or games so Try delete all files and folders in android/data in your external card. After that if you see any of your apps is back as you installed them first time (means data wiped) so the apps data path is now in your external card
If you tried to put the OBB in the both external and internal and the app didnt worked so that means there is something wrong in your rom...
THATS FROM MY XPERIA™ Z
RUNNING ROM
C6602
Android 4.4.4
Stock Omni kernel
Xposed modules

andiling
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by androidfreak70 View Post
App FC means the obb not found(sometimes the app say need to download bla bla...) So you should put them is internal memory.
If you installed any apps or games so Try delete all files and folders in android/data in your external card. After that if you see any of your apps is back as you installed them first time (means data wiped) so the apps data path is now in your external card
If you tried to put the OBB in the both external and internal and the app didnt worked so that means there is something wrong in your rom...
oh, it works if the obb is in internal memory... but not external. This was in reply to your idea.

If I delete all folders (and there are only folders but no files in it) the system recreates them by time...

androidfreak70
Old
Thanks Meter 425

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
oh, it works if the obb is in internal memory... but not external. This was in reply to your idea.

If I delete all folders (and there are only folders but no files in it) the system recreates them by time...
Thats really strange problem but flash your rom or try another ftf that all what i can say now
THATS FROM MY XPERIA™ Z
RUNNING ROM
C6602
Android 4.4.4
Stock Omni kernel
Xposed modules

Tags
data, external storage, kitkat, obb